Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How much food actually gets in your toddler?

abaker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:01 am
How much food does your 14 month old (or close to that age) eat daily? Don't just list what you offer...include approx amounts that he actually eats.

Example: breakfast is yogurt....does he eat 3 bites or half the container?
Lunch: grilled cheese...2 bites or the whole sandwich?
You get the idea...go!

abaker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 5:40 pm
anyone?

bananasplit

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:02 pm
I was wondering the same. My 14 month older seems to be getting very picky and hardly eats anything I give him. Any healthy meal suggestions?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:27 pm
Breakfast - 1 whole scrambled egg with a tbsp of shredded cheese(aprox), a handful of cereal till eggs are ready
Snack - 1/2 package oatmeal, 1 givat kids {small} yogurt
Lunch - 2 fishsticks or 1/2 slice pizza, sometimes a dr. praeger veggie little, sometimes veggie soup, sometimes mandarin oranges
Snack - veggie straws - 1/2 oz bag or 1 graham cracker, random fruit(apple/mango/clementine) or whatever I'm eating plus more depending on day
Dinner - try to get some veggies in - dr. praegers littles usually 1, homemade chicken nuggets - 2 or 3 minis....then we see if hes still hungry and decide from there(usually full by then)

Always has a t least 2 milk bottles and sippy cup with water and juice

I only serve him breakfast and 2nd snack and dinner, babysitter gives hims the other stuff while I am at work so hope that's an accurate picture!

Anonymous cuz these details give me away:)

So any suggestion to incorporate more fruits and veggies please!!

rising hero

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:43 pm
Wow! My almost-two-year-old doesn't eat half as much. He gives me such a hard time!

precious

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:03 pm
My 14 month old eats a full bowl of cereal and milk for breakfast, I send sandwich, yogurt and applesauce to babysitter, and bowl or two of cholent or chicken or baked ziti or whatevers for supper. And she will snack throughout ythe day if she finds pple eating and can scream cute enough to make them share... she nurses two or three times a day but hardly drinks. We keep offering bottle and sippy cup but she takes a few sips and that's it.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:05 pm
My 11 month old eats very little. I hope for an egg in the morning, usually get half. Maybe 3 bites of my lunch. 4-5 bites of dinner. But nurses all day.

abaker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:58 pm
I always offer what I'm eating and now trying to offer more regular meals today he ate something like this...

Breakfast- shredded cheese and maybe 3 bites bagel
Snacks- apple (whole) he takes several bites out of it, maybe 10 bites...offered him a muffin I made he didn't touch it
Lunch- challah maybe 3 bites, veggie quinoa chili (his favorite he prob took 15 bites)
Snack- basmati rice...eats it with his hands so it's a mess but he ate a good amount...a few big spoonfuls probably
Dinner-mashed potatoes with fried onions, tilapia...he had a few bites potatoes...no tilapia

He has water in sippy cup or regular cup.

He nurses a lot, but can go hours without it...but given the option he will nurse. BH I'm happy with that...I am trying to remember to give him the options of solids, since I've always been a baby led weaning, let him self feed/eat what he wants nursing has been his main food source.

abaker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:07 pm
bananasplit wrote:
I was wondering the same. My 14 month older seems to be getting very picky and hardly eats anything I give him. Any healthy meal suggestions?

I make smoothies almost everyday..my son likes those. Puréed sweet potato/squash soup or chicken soup. Spaghetti squash with meatballs or meat sauce (another fav here)

It's funny how my baby enjoys flavour! Chipotle chili, mildly spicy meat sauce , taco salad, roasted red pepper hummus, chulent, pickles, French onion soup. He's not a huge fan of plain noodles or other bland things.

bananasplit

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 12:10 am
Wow your son seems to be eating a wide variety of foods! Fish is an idea, haven't tried that yet. What's the quinoa chili recipe?

abaker

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 11:54 am
bananasplit wrote:
Wow your son seems to be eating a wide variety of foods! Fish is an idea, haven't tried that yet. What's the quinoa chili recipe?

onion
garlic
a pepper
can diced tomatoes (a big can) sometimes I use 2
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 cup quinoa (uncooked)

spices 1Tbsp cumin, 2Tbsp chili powder, 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (that gives it a nice smoky a little spicy flavor...make sure you add a teaspoon not a tablespoon) I dont measure out the spices anymore..but I go heavy on the cumin

cook on low for about half hour. mix a few times so bottom doesnt burn. top with shredded cheese when serving

abaker

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 11:57 am
amother wrote:
Breakfast - 1 whole scrambled egg with a tbsp of shredded cheese(aprox), a handful of cereal till eggs are ready
Snack - 1/2 package oatmeal, 1 givat kids {small} yogurt
Lunch - 2 fishsticks or 1/2 slice pizza, sometimes a dr. praeger veggie little, sometimes veggie soup, sometimes mandarin oranges
Snack - veggie straws - 1/2 oz bag or 1 graham cracker, random fruit(apple/mango/clementine) or whatever I'm eating plus more depending on day
Dinner - try to get some veggies in - dr. praegers littles usually 1, homemade chicken nuggets - 2 or 3 minis....then we see if hes still hungry and decide from there(usually full by then)

Always has a t least 2 milk bottles and sippy cup with water and juice

I only serve him breakfast and 2nd snack and dinner, babysitter gives hims the other stuff while I am at work so hope that's an accurate picture!

Anonymous cuz these details give me away:)

So any suggestion to incorporate more fruits and veggies please!!

wow! what a good eater b"ah.

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 2:39 pm
So my baby is only 7 months, so not up to the picky stage yet, but he does have his favorites. And we're doing baby led weaning so it's real food, not purees. Everything is sugar, salt, honey and nut free. Here is our basic menu:

-Breakfast options-
1 small banana oatmeal cottage cheese pancake or strawberry oatmeal fingers (2tbspns oats) or 1/2 Weetabix
Followed by a fruit - either 1/2 apple, 1/2 pear, or 1/2 banana

-Lunch options-
1/2 slice bread with hummus/cream cheese/avocado/cheese (toasted) or 1/2 baked potato
or a tuna patty with peas and carrots in, or a cauliflower cheese patty - maybe added veg like a few rounds of roast zucchini or a little cucumber stick. Followed by a few segments satsuma or a few pieces peach/mango

-Dinner options-
2 mini turkey/beef meatballs in sauce or 1/4 fillet pan fried salmon or 1 boiled egg/scrambled egg/omelet/tuna patty/small portion chicken curry with potatoes/2 finger sized chicken sweet potato quinoa bars/1 piece egg and veg bake
maybe carbs if the main didnt have: few pieces pasta, 1/2 baked potato/few baked sweet potato fries
veg: 2 rounds roasted or steamed zucchini/1 half carrot/2 florets broccoli/2 florets cauliflower/2 green beans - made with spices but no salt!!!

Lily30

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 4:23 pm
My babys 17 months, only drinks water no milk....tried he doesnt want

breakfast: a bowl of cereal with milk either weetabix or shreddies - has the whole lot
snack: a yoghurt with at tblsp of baby cereal....eats it all
lunch: pnut butter sandwhich...usually has 1 slice, 1/2 cup ctg cheese, few pices of apple/pear/sharon fruit/whole banana
snack: cracker/biscuit, more fruit/ piece of cucumber
Supper: bowl of veg soup- 2 full ladels-finishes it, carrot muffin.. ..eats most of it,, 1 fish finger/small shnitzel/2 meat balls...with couscous/rice....has most of it
hope this helps you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics