Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Fill freezer before giving birth

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:24 pm
I am iyH due to give birth three weeks before pesach. I would like to fill up our freezer, but I need ideas for freezable meals that do not contain chometz, so that I don't have to throw anything out before pesach. So what are your favorite, non chometzdik freezable meals (that kids like to eat :-)

questioner

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:31 pm
I had a baby right after Pesach but only had time to freeze things before.

I bought gluten free cornflake crumbs, and used that to make meatballs and form hamburger patties and bread raw chicken / chicken cutlets.
Marinate chicken (raw) for grilling / baking. I even made pans of spiced raw chicken, rice and vegetables with instructions on the foil to add water and cook for two hours. (I think soy sauce is chometz, so you need other marinades)

Potato kugel
Soups - chicken soup, vegetable soup, mushroom rice (instead of barley) soup

I browned meat and added sauteed vegetable and tomato sauce to serve over pasta
Portion of sauteed vegetables to add to anything

kb

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 2:13 pm
Main dishes aren't usually (or don't have to be) chometz. Maybe kitniyus or gebruks, but not real chometz.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:21 pm
I'm due right after Pesach so I will be following this thread too. Keep the ideas coming please.... LOL

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:43 pm
DD was born a week before Pesach (was due 2 weeks before). I stuffed my freezer with Pesach stuff, and also suppers. Here are some ideas:

Pans of cleaned, spiced, oven ready chicken. These can have veggies added to them the last minute for a filling meal (potatoes/sweet potatos, cut up peppers with onions, baby corn (if not Pesach) and mushrooms, rice for chicken and rice (if not Pesach or you are Sephardic).)

Meatballs - mix each lb of meatballs with 1 egg, 1 tsp onion powder, and some potato starch (not much). Make balls and freeze, topped with a bit of Pesach marinara. Can be baked in oven (about 1 hour defrosted). If it's not Pesach you can serve with maccaroni. Otherwise serve with potatoes.

Stew meat. Dump into pressure cooker with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, water, salt and pepper. Cook about 45 minutes after pot is pressurized, for a yummy goulash meal.

Soups - chicken soup, vegetable soup, zucchini soup (pureed), butternut squash soup, etc....These are so nourishing after birth.

questioner

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:42 pm
(I just realized the difference - I was due after Pesach, so the meals only couldn't have chometz ingredients but the meals themselves didn't have to be Pesachdik! Hence the cornflake crumbs and rice suggestions - I'm not sefardi)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:16 pm
amother wrote:
I am iyH due to give birth three weeks before pesach. I would like to fill up our freezer, but I need ideas for freezable meals that do not contain chometz, so that I don't have to throw anything out before pesach. So what are your favorite, non chometzdik freezable meals (that kids like to eat :-)

unstuffed cabbage
meatballs
roast beef
corned beef
mushroom rice
vegetable brown rice
wild rice & craisins
potato knish kugel
potato kugel
chicken soup
zucchini soup
cauliflower soup
blended vegetable soup
presoaked cholent beans
homemade pesach kishke loaves
meat stew (sans potatoes)
lentil burgers
mock chopped liver
almond breaded eggplant slices (for eggplant parm)
cheese cake
blintzes

items seasoned and ready to bake:
various flavored chicken legs (sweet sauces, marinades, seasonings)
meat kebabs
burgers
crumbed chicken cutlets
salmon
shwarma chicken
meat loaf

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 7:40 am
OP here. Wow ra_mom, thanks for your effort to write down that whole list, I am inspired!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen