Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anybody work for Jewish Non-Profit?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 9:13 pm
I'm looking into careers in non-profits, and I'm wondering if anyone here works for a Jewish non-profit and can share their experience there. I have heard some negative things, complaints of their treatments of women, low pay, etc etc etc and I'm wondering if there is any validity to those complaints.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 9:24 pm
Many non profits will have a lower pay if their "income" is lower.

I've been working in a non profit for about 10 years and while I may have a lower pay then my peers in the private sector I really enjoy the flexibility (to some extent) and shorter hours. I love my job and would not give it up. Great environment too.

You really need to ask around for each non profit as each one is different.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 9:29 pm
I currently work for a Jewish non profit and worked for another one as well. (one a yeshiva and one a school- worked in the business/financial office for both)

Low pay- check. I mean im not getting paid way below avg for my job but its def low end of average. and I can forget about a raise ever. Also I replaced a male who worked in my position... and get paid less then him and was told upfront its cause im a woman.

I do not think that I am treated badly otherwise. In both my non profit jobs I was treated decently.

A benefit I like is yomim tovim are off inc c"h, and we end early erev shabbos, no hassle. I found both my bosses to be very understanding.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 3:36 pm
I have worked for several jewish non profits. I was never off chol hamoed and we were not always off erev yomtov - if we were off, it wasn't always paid.

pay was low. wasn't treated great either. I think they did the best they could - it was brooklyn non profit afte5r all. can't expect much

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:
...and get paid less then him and was told upfront its cause im a woman.

I do not think that I am treated badly otherwise. In both my non profit jobs I was treated decently.

(snipped for brevity) SMH Your nonprofit is breaking the law.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 2:18 pm
My mom has. Low pay (sometimes virtual volunteering), but mainly dominated by women in many cases. And yes they may have practices that toe the line of the law, not give yt off (or on contrary hardly get a full week of work -- nice except the paycheck is proportionate).

chickpea_salad

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 4:08 pm
The environment of every workplace will be different, the work environment I am in is exceptionally nice, and friends of mine who are working in the not for profit sector just now are also in nice environments. It will not always be that way. Being poor (see below) will make you stressed and stressed people can be horrible to each other.

You have to be able to step back and say enough is enough. Not just with company behaviour but also with the guilt of not doing enough. You will wind up working for pennies an hour, adding more and more "volunteer" hours on (which is not a thing btw.) and stretching yourself to cover things that are not your job to do because GUILT.

I wouldn't recommend doing it as the only earner, you will not get a pay cheque that can withstand being divided very many times, if at all.

I happen to be very good at certain aspects of my job. I get enormous satisfaction from being able to achieve success at work, which more than makes up for the money I could be making at a mid-level admin job somewhere else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics