Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How do you go grocery shopping with 2 kids in cart?
1  2  Next

wife2

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 12:39 am
When I go grocery shopping, my baby sits in front and my toddler goes in the cart part. The problem is that there is no room for my groceries. I usually fill up the cart to the top without a kid inside and once I put the milk and other big things in, there is no room for my toddler to sit. She can't walk because then she would take things off the shelf, wander away or not walk and it would take a lot longer for me to shop since I would be running after her every second.

Logistically, how do you all fit your groceries in your cart with a kid in the back?

justforfun87

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 12:42 am
I would never take the two of them, can you shop in the evening time?

busydev

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 12:43 am
can you babywear the younger one?

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 1:34 am
I don't. There's a store near me that has double seats in the front, so two kids can sit there and the others walk. So if I must take the kids shopping, I go there.

Otherwise I go at night when the kids are sleeping so I don't have to worry about this. Shopping with kids wandering away and taking things off the shelves is really not fun.

kb

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 1:41 am
Phone order? :-)

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 1:50 am
When it's a big trip and I can't just pile everything under the stroller (I live in EY so you can just pile in stuff you're going to buy in there, nobody thinks you're stealing!), I have one in the front and one inside the cart. After some time, as the cart fills up, I let the older one walk around. It's true, she used to take everything out (though she's 3 now so it's a bit easier), but I try to get her involved and ask her to get something for me that's within her reach. My 1.5 year old sometimes ends up wanting to go down too, and she takes things out, but my 3 year will take them away from her and put them back Smile

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:23 am
amother wrote:
When it's a big trip and I can't just pile everything under the stroller (I live in EY so you can just pile in stuff you're going to buy in there, nobody thinks you're stealing!), I have one in the front and one inside the cart. After some time, as the cart fills up, I let the older one walk around. It's true, she used to take everything out (though she's 3 now so it's a bit easier), but I try to get her involved and ask her to get something for me that's within her reach. My 1.5 year old sometimes ends up wanting to go down too, and she takes things out, but my 3 year will take them away from her and put them back Smile

I don't know anyone in America who has ever been accused of stealing when putting stuff in the stroller unless they left the store without paying. People shop with strollers all the time.
My youngest is almost three (!!!) so it's a little different for me taking more Han one cuz the older ones walk. What I do is I go when I know I will only have one kid with me, so either that kid will go in the front of walk.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:42 am
I've gone shopping with 3 in the cart, but I never buy so much at once that my cart is filled to the top. All I can suggest is either shop more often (buying less each visit) or shop without your kids, at whatever time your dh or somebody can watch them.

relish

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:46 am
Also, you can put two in the cart and pull one of those baskets on wheels behind you.

animeme

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:48 am
I second baby wearing. But I also found that my toddler didn't have patience for a shopping trip long enough to fill the cart.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 8:18 am
You can also take two cart and either put both kids in one and use the other, or put one in the front of each and use both.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 8:19 am
If they won't deliver/for a normal price.
Can you get a bigger cart?

http://la.passiflore.free.fr/I.....1.jpg

I easily put two kids inside this, or a baby in the thing in front and kids inside

asp40

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 9:18 am
When I was shopping with twins, I would leave them in their stroller and push the stroller and pull the cart. When those amazing shopping carts were invented that could fit 3 kids, it was a miracle (until I had 4 ) but even so I loved those carts. But for many years I pushed the stroller and pulled the cart.

scrltfr

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 9:39 am
I wear the baby and put the toddler in the cart

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 1:00 pm
My store has carts that can fit 2 kids in the front. It took me a while to realize that there's room for 2 (actually, I didn't realize till I saw someone else doing it) so if you're not sure double check.
I also second the baby wearing.

Twizzlers

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 7:34 pm
I push the stroller and pull the cart behind me. BUT I only do big shops on mondays or tuesdays when the stores are pretty empty so I can easily manuever both. It would never work in a crowded store.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:05 pm
Someone was once in a store with four kids, including a screaming newborn, trying to check out while keeping all her kids under control. An older woman asked her "what is your name?"

The mother didn't want to answer., or perhaps she asked "why do you want to know?" The other woman said "My husband is one of the mashgichim in the Yeshiva and he is going to have a talk with your husband!"

IOW the husband should be pitching in with watching the kids, doing the shopping, or being able to afford a delivery.

Of course, if there is no husband the mother will need to find another solution. But shopping with kids who fill the wagon, unless you just needed 3 items, is not a wise plan.

(Another eitzah, if your work and your babysitter is willing, is to go shopping before you pick up the kids. And even bring the groceries home & unload them.

If you're lucky enough to live near a relative or good friend, maybe you can time the shopping for when the baby is about to nap. Let the baby fall asleep in the car & deposit with friend or relative and shop with one less child. My children do this often.)

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:14 pm
Shoprite car wagon

groovy1224

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:16 pm
amother wrote:
Someone was once in a store with four kids, including a screaming newborn, trying to check out while keeping all her kids under control. An older woman asked her "what is your name?"

The mother didn't want to answer., or perhaps she asked "why do you want to know?" The other woman said "My husband is one of the mashgichim in the Yeshiva and he is going to have a talk with your husband!"

IOW the husband should be pitching in with watching the kids, doing the shopping, or being able to afford a delivery.

Wow, I did not expect that story to end with the older woman as the heroine. How obnoxious. Believe it or not, most people don't use grocery cart logistics as a factor to consider in their family planning.

Obviously, she can order in. Or go at night. Or sell a couple of her kids to make errands easier. Whatever it takes. But practically, it sometimes happens that a mother needs to take several little ones with her. It doesn't mean her husband is a low life, or that she's a destitute breeding machine. Geez.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:33 pm
Quote:
Believe it or not, most people don't use grocery cart logistics as a factor to consider in their family planning.

Obviously, she can order in. Or go at night. Or sell a couple of her kids to make errands easier. Whatever it takes. But practically, it sometimes happens that a mother needs to take several little ones with her. It doesn't mean her husband is a low life, or that she's a destitute breeding machine.
I think the idea was that the husband was too big a masmid to either go shopping or watch the kids.

Or, even if he was willing, his wife was too big a tzadeikes to ask him to miss time from learning.

The mashgiach's wife's point was not to consider family planning but that the husband needs to be told to help, even if his wife is a tzadeikes, because going shopping with four little ones including a newborn is not reasonable.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics