Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Asking parents if kids are vaccinated b4 coming over?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 5:06 pm
OP here. My pediatrician said that if things get worse then they may decide to vaccinate babies earlier, so I am going to keep checking in with their office.

They also said that if you think you've been exposed to call immediately because they can give something post-exposure to lessen the chance or severity of infection. Good to know.

Thanks for the replies. I was considering just not inviting people over at all but given your positive response to being asked I think I'll invite a few people so we won't be so lonely!

Dolly - I am not pg, and we think DD is our last.

I talked with some other moms of young babes in the area and they are avoiding taking them to the market, playground, indoor playgym, at least until we see how this plays out. I feel bad for my DD because she is so social!

amother

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 1:40 pm
My dh's brother, a totally healthy normal 5 yr old American born boy suffered severe brain damage and almost died from measles, because his parents didn't want to vaccinate. This was over 15 yrs ago. Not malnourished, not in 3rd world, living in NY.

It might be rare, but normal American children get measles as proved in this outbreak, and once they get it, the risk of having brain damage is the same wherever u live. Do you want to take that gamble?

(Sorry, thus is a response to the poster who said American healthy kids don't get complications from childhood diseases.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 4:58 pm
For all those who misconstrued what I wrote, please re-read. I never said OP should not be concerned and want her baby to avoid having the disease. I am trying to put it in perspective and not have a freak-out if her baby did have exposure. If something happens already, despite whatever precautions you take, the wisest course of action is to try to deal with it calmly. That is all I said. I was saying the 1/1000 risk is even higher than the reality here in the US. I didn't say that therefore one should ignore risks, nor did I say she is unwarranted in what she is asking. Please stop reading things into posts you feel like disagreeing with. I'm just trying to help OP because there is a limit to how much we can control, and if we realize we can do our best, and only that, and anything beyond that is not so terrible, we'll be happier and calmer people. We should not be living our lives in fear.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:17 pm
SingALong wrote:
Btw during a measles outbreak 1 1/2 years ago, I got my then 8 month old vaccinated as per dr recommendation and then again at 12 months. The dr told me we usually wait to vaccinate since baby is usually immune from mom till a year so vaccine wouldn't be effective anyways. At that time, the health dept issued the recommendation that babies from age 6 months and up vaccinate for measles due to outbreak. If you are in an area with an outbreak you may want to consider discussing with your pediatrician.

Just as an FYI, babies born to mothers who were vaccinated for measles do not have the same level of antibodies and immunity as those whose mothers contracted measles and have natural immunity. Please don't rely on maternal antibodies in this generation when most of us were vaccinated and didn't actually have the measles disease.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
My dh's brother, a totally healthy normal 5 yr old American born boy suffered severe brain damage and almost died from measles, because his parents didn't want to vaccinate. This was over 15 yrs ago. Not malnourished, not in 3rd world, living in NY.

It might be rare, but normal American children get measles as proved in this outbreak, and once they get it, the risk of having brain damage is the same wherever u live. Do you want to take that gamble?

(Sorry, thus is a response to the poster who said American healthy kids don't get complications from childhood diseases.)

Ironically, my cousin's baby spent 3 weeks in the hospital because she nearly died from MMR shot. She had multiple seizures, dangerously high fever - which then plummeted and she nearly got hypothermia, then she got fever again.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. I'm in California in the Bay Area.

I also live in the Bay Area. I understand your concerns, particularly in light of the Bay Area's dismal vaccination rate and the fact that most people are anti-vax because they think that their Masters in Computer Science mean that they can out-smart epidemiologists and PhDs (I.e., there's a significant "intellectual pride" factor in the decision not to vax).

Honestly, given the Bay Area's current rates of whooping cough I don't view the current measles outbreak as a "new" concern. The current rate of whooping cough speaks for itself vis-a-vis how much you can rely on "herd" immunity to protect your unvaccinated children. I am currently expecting, and 100% plan on asking if people are vaccinated/current on their boosters before inviting them over. (I already encourage people to ensure that their TDAP is up to date.) People are entitled to be lax on their own boosters, and (for better or for worse) are entitled under civil law to leave their children unvaccinated. I respect their rights to make their own decisions for their own health, but that doesn't mean that I need to put my own family at ch'v risk.

Some pediatricians will give a measles vaccine at 6 months to children who are traveling to a "high risk" area. Evidence suggests that a measles vaccine between 6-12 months does not count towards lifelong immunity, so you still need to begin the full rounds at 12 months. It is worth asking your pediatrician if they will give your child an "early" shot now.

Iy"H we will all be able to safely go out in public and enjoy creampuffs soon. (Ve'hamavin ya'avin.)

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
Ironically, my cousin's baby spent 3 weeks in the hospital because she nearly died from MMR shot. She had multiple seizures, dangerously high fever - which then plummeted and she nearly got hypothermia, then she got fever again.

There are stories on both sides. Both are scary. Vaccinate or don't vaccinate, either way there is some risk. But somehow a few kids with measles makes every newspaper and media source and the stories like the one you mention above gets swept under the rug. Why? I guess because big pharma makes money selling their vaccines and has big PR pull. Nobody makes money when parents choose not to vaccinate.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:19 pm
With regards to pertussis, anyone can be a carrier, vaccinated or not. The vaccinated carrier may not know he was exposed and is passing it on because he passes it on before he had a chance to get the symptoms (which he likely won't get because of the vaccine). There isn't a discussion about herd immunity for that disease.

penguin

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:25 pm
Please do tell about the cream puffs! Raw eggs? Salmonella? Measles in the cream puffs?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:15 pm
penguin wrote:
Please do tell about the cream puffs! Raw eggs? Salmonella? Measles in the cream puffs?

A cream puff bakery recently opened in San Francisco, and is certified by the Va'ad.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics