Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How much do you give for wedding gifts?

Nothing  
 21%  [ 20 ]
$1 - $25  
 13%  [ 12 ]
$26 - $50  
 22%  [ 21 ]
$51 - $75  
 9%  [ 9 ]
$76 - $100  
 10%  [ 10 ]
$101 - $125  
 8%  [ 8 ]
$126+  
 13%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 92

mirror

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 11:08 pm

ROFL

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 11:20 pm
We give between 150 - 200. Depending on ourcircumstances and our closeness to the family.

chani8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 2:25 am
Watching this thread because my friend's daughter just got married and I don't know how much to send. And, do I send it to the mother, or the bride????

ROFL

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 3:00 am
As far as I know you send the money to the bride, although I once gave money to a freind for her expenses for marrying off a child and I sent the couple a gift too!

chani8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:09 am
ROFL wrote:
As far as I know you send the money to the bride, although I once gave money to a freind for her expenses for marrying off a child and I sent the couple a gift too!

Thank you!

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:15 am
I vary in what I send. I generally give more if the family is needy. Ironically many people give more when the affair is lavish. I will also give more if I am close to the girl or her mother.

If I am not so close and the girl doesn't appear especially needy, I will buy something pretty for the house in price range of $50 to $100 and give it at the vort. The girls love the fancy wrapped set ups.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:56 am
My wedding checks were between $18-$1000(!!!). Most checks were sent via RSVP cards, so they came to my parents' house.

It's pretty common here for a group of people (I.e, coworkers, classmates, neighbors) to all chip in for a gift worth around $80-120, depending on how many chip in. If you do this, just make sure the gift if exchangeable or the Kallah might end up with four sets of glasses, or whatever was popular at the time.

Gifts given at the wedding itself tend to get lost. IME it's better to give significantly before or after the wedding.

luppamom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:36 pm
My wedding gifts were very thoughtful and helpful. The checks were the easiest as we moved to Israel, but I also enjoyed high-quality reasonably light, household gifts. Like my set of knives. I never would have bought them myself, but am enjoying them so much!!

Personally, in my circle, young single friends don't usually give presents, unless someone is collecting money to buy something big. To me, the biggest present was my friends that came from OOT to attend my wedding.

I do know that gifts are so helpful and appreciated. We've gotten some pretty late surprises, but we love them b/c who doesn't love getting a gift especially when it's out of the blue!

supty

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:56 pm
Where I live the standard is $100-$180

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 4:28 am
depends but in israel I don't usually give unless I am really close then I'll get something useful

malkacooks

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:00 pm
watching with close interest. I'm going to be attending a wedding of a cousin in israel around purim in har nof and I'm not sure what pp usually do in israel? can someone advise?

eschaya

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:09 pm
I've never given money, but that doesn't mean I don't give gifts. If it's someone I am close to I usually make them a gift. I like to paint challah trays, kiddush jugs, havdalah plates, etc and I personalize it with their married name. I don't go to wedding that often these days (which I guess is good because I don't have much time for crafting), but when I do I love to give something personal and meaningful (and it doesn't cost too much in money... only time and love!)

BrachaBatya

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 12:17 am
Usually $200-$300 in our circles.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 4:21 am
Usually $18 but I don't normally give cash, I normally try and find something useful.
Most people in my circles don't have $ and don't except expensive presents.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics