Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is shopping at Costco financially beneficial?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 11:14 pm
Do you save money by shopping at Costco? Are there particular items that are or are not cheaper at Costco? I am nervous I will waste more money by shopping there than I will save but it seems popular in the frum community and I am trying to figure out if it is right for me

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 11:44 pm
when we had twin infants on diapers, wipes, and formula ($90 of special neosure formula per week- ack)---- we really well at Costco. Now that we don't buy that stuff, it's no longer worth it for our family of 4. Larger families mileage differs. We don't need huge cases of stuff cluttering our house for months. Smile how big is your family? any babies on diapers and formula?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 12:18 am
We use the optometrist there and then buy all our glasses from there. That alone is worth the membership fee! (Most frames are @ $50, and we're talking name-brand frames)

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 12:52 am
I never saw much of a savings at Costco but there isn't much there that I would buy or use. Local produce is cheaper and fresher, paper goods are usually on sale at one of the three grocery stores in my town. I belong to a co-op and stock up on red rice, brown rice, beans, lentils and flour when it is on sale. I don't buy any significant amt. of canned foods, nor do I buy salad dressings or need gallons of ketchup:)

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 12:57 am
Depends on your needs and your family size.

When I was pregnant and very focused on my food intake, we had a membership because their produce is of excellent quality and well-priced. I also bought Tnuva cheese, almonds, extra virgin olive oil, honey, and fruit juices.

We stopped our membership when we realized that driving there and back was becoming a hassle and deterring us from going as often as we really needed/wanted to.

For a large family that consumes a lot, I would definitely recommend it.

nywife

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 2:44 am
When my husband and I initially signed up, we realized that we were losing more money than we were saving because we weren't using enough produce (which is what we wanted deals on). We teamed up with a few other couples in my complex and we buy produce in bulk and split it which has been saving us money.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 2:48 am
I love buying at Costco, simply to have large supplies of everything I need. I think it is more of an addiction, than actual savings. The quality of their products as well as their produce is excellent. I don't think you save much if any, because everything is sooo tempting....you end up buying more than intended. I still go and buy and enjoy every bit of it!!

Miri7

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 3:53 am
We save on diapers and wipes at costco, also organic milk and some produce.

We do NOT save when DH goes in that store. He always walks out with random things we don't really need.

Also you need to know what things cost so you can figure out if you are getting a deal or not.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 4:17 am
Do you have the storage space? In places where rent is costly, the extra storage space needed to save $ per item is not worth the extra cost per square foot.

mom2be1

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:13 am
I have a membership through work so its only $20 a year. We're a family of 4 and we find it very worthwhile especially when you can also use thier coupons. Some of the items we buy are: garbage bags, paper towel, water bottles, foil pans, tissues, macabee pizza bagels, lens solution. We find it well priced and convienant to be stocked.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:20 am
I bought an amazing item there called snowtrax which helps a person walk in the snow and ice and it was very reasonable.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:47 am
I find the prices on about half the goods to be much less expensive than other stores. Pay attention to the unit price, not just the sale price on the shelf. For example, buying tuna in bulk at $1.68 a pound is not a bargain if you can get it in single cans on sale at the local store for $1.03 a pound. (Made up figures)

DD goes through protein bars like crazy, they're one of the few things I can get her to eat. Buying the small boxes at grocery stores is insanely expensive, and buying bulk boxes in Costco is so much cheaper!

I love their produce, and we eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies all year long. Big boxes or bags of breakfast cereal are a bargain. You can't beat the price on their smoked salmon anywhere else.

I'm lucky that I'm close driving distance to several of them, so gas is not a problem for me.

Sometimes I find really fun things with a hecksher that I've never seen in other stores, so I get surprise treats!

I keep separate grocery lists 1. Costco 2. Local co-op 3. nearby supermarket 4. Asian produce market. If I keep a tally of what I buy where, I can get a really good picture of where the best prices are for which items.

I also have a company that delivers kosher meat, CY milk, bread, and other kosher products directly to my door, as long as I order 3 days in advance. That means I have to keep track of what's in my freezer, too.

I know it sounds like a lot, but you pick up on your spending patterns really quick.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:36 am
We really like Costco. There are definitely lots of products that are cheaper especially if you do not have time to shop sales at big supermarkets. We really like Costco's policy of standing by there products and do not hesitate to purchase big ticket items since there is a guarantee.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:16 am
We only have membership at buying clubs when we are buying diapers and wipes. When I switch to cloth diapers I wont need membersip. Otherwise I can ask a friend for the few items I buy from costco that I cant get anywhere else for such prices that I need once every few months that are cheaper than any sales (coconut oil/olive oil/ maple syrup/ plastic cutlery. We love the dates so a friend buys us those. If a friend offers ill have them get me some of the organic produce too.)
Alot depends on your shopping and spending style.
Do you know anyone you can go with to scout it out with?

ima22

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:49 am
Certain items are very worthwhile to buy at costco. My list includes yeast, eggs, milk, salmon, baby wipes (love the quality), water bottles. Some other items we buy because we love them and priced competetively. Other items like produce we stay away from generally. Even though quality is good the prices are exorbitant compared to a local farmers market.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:51 am
I save, but only on a few main items. I don't know if it would be worth it if I had to pay for the membership myself. Fortunately DH's office provides the membership.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:52 am
It is totally worthwhile as long as you are a good comparison shopper. Cereals are Joe expensive at costco. Clothing is cheap and great quality. Produce is always good, milk is cheap (but the packaging is awful).

We recently moved and I saved so much money by purchasing a bathroom vanity, faucets, mirrors, light fixtures, a bed and even a sofa at costco. I probably saved over $2,000 and their quality is always excellent.

I buy my eldest sneakers there for $20, which is perfect because his feet grow every 3 days.

You have to know what you are getting and what you need. Overall I save a lot.

mille

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:03 am
I buy certain things at costco. I think it also depends if you have a kosher section. Our kosher section has several things significantly cheaper than kosher stores/shoprite. Like shredded cheese, salami, hot dogs, goat cheese (super duper cheap compared!), plus the kosher bakery with all the cheap and delicious baked goods. But some of that I guess depends if you only eat chalav yisrael because a lot of that stuff is OU-D. Then there's things like vanilla extract, yeast, honey, and other pantry goods that are cheaper at Costco.

For me, it's worth it. I figured that the savings in cheese and hotdogs alone for the amount we eat per year makes up for the $55 in membership fees. Everything else is just a bonus. Don't buy everything there, go for specific things that ARE a good deal.

sky

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:13 am
Certain things we find a little cheaper there, and some items are WAY cheaper:

Cereal
Garbage Bags
Oatmeal (Old Fashioned and flavor Packets)
Ketchup
Peanut butter
Soy Sauce
Mustard
Mayonnaise (Kirkland brand is excellent)
Pam (again kirkland brand)
Coffee
Yeast
Vanilla Extract
Canola Oil
Maple Syrup

Shredded Cheese (cholov yisroel)
Sliced Cheese
Hot dogs (my family loves the brand sold there)

and many other food items

Garbage Bags
Laundry Detergent
Windex
Fantastic
Tissues
Paper Towels
Zip Lock Bags
Contact Solution
Shampoo\Soap\Baby Shampoo
Spray 'n Wash
Sponges

Problem is we always coming away spending a small fortune. And the savings are spread over a few months so it is hard to see.

You also have to have self control not to buy things not on your list.

Every so often I do buy clothing - like great cotton pajamas that my son with eczema does great with - for very cheap. But I don't normally buy clothing becasue I'm spending so much already, I just hate to see the final bill go higher.

But someone pays for our membership. If I was paying for it myself I'm not sure, especially becasue it is a pain to drive out there.

Chloe22

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 12:19 pm
I stock up on paper towels, toilet paper detergent, garbage bags in Cosco. I have to try to avoid impulse buys while I'm there.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics