Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is shopping at Costco financially beneficial?
Previous  1  2

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 12:40 pm
It also depends how you shop. Want to buy everything in one place? Do you comparison shop? And do you coupon?
I never will buy razors, cleaning supplies, cereal, tuna (and a lot more) at costco if I can help it. Coupons make it so so much cheaper at a regular store! And I get diapers (Huggies) for much less when I get to certain stores for their major deals. I do it PER diaper cost since every store has different size boxes. Also a per wipes cost. Great deals are Like target- buy 2 boxes, get a gift card. Use Huggies manufacturer coupons (MC) and maybe even a target store coupon or cartwheel... I get Huggies for less than up and up brand!

However, foil pans, paper goods are all good buys for me, especially pre pesach.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 4:45 pm
Living in an OOT community, I belong to Costco because the price I can get on boneless chicken is extremely good (I pay around $5/lb) -- same for shredded cheese, muenster cheese slices, etc
Since I was already getting a membership for those items, I take advantage of some other unbelievable prices (coconut oil, salmon, real maple syrup, etc). But until I lived out of town, I had no interest in belonging to a wholesale store where the impulse to overbuy is very strong. I go about once every 6 weeks to 2 months, and buy about $200 worth of stuff in one go. (I also belong to Sam's since I got a very good deal and it's closer, but I likely won't renew it when my membership is up, though they have better individual snack items in my local location.)

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:22 pm
If you have the time to comparison shop and shop with coupons at different stores for different items, then Costco is generally not worth it. However, depending on your family and available space, even if shopping at Costco doesn't offer an inherent financial benefit over other stores, it might be worth it to you for such perks as saved time via less frequent shopping trips and the security of not running out of items-- all at a decent price.

SRS

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:29 pm
Cheese makes the membership worth it. Cheese makes my children happy and I just can't buy it anywhere else for tha low price. Everything else just saves me time which I'm short of lately. And there are some super bargains like tennis shoes. But mostly I want to stay away from the convenience food and the consumer items.

hello123

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:08 pm
When we go to shopping we go with a list and go directly to those items and try to avoid browsing. Otherwise u end up buting random items that u didnt really need but happen to maybe be a good deal. I find that certain things are cheaper. I agree that u have to know your prices.
Maybe go with a friend to go see what things you would actually buy on monthly basis and see if it's worth it for you. If it's only a very few amount of things it might be worth it to just go with a friend whenever you need them

2ringsnow

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:41 pm
the Costco that I shop at in Canada does not have cholov yisroel stuff but we do buy frozen chicken which is a great deal , Apple sauce , apple sauce in a pouch , oatmeal , maple syrup..bought a great samsonite luggage set for great price . They also have some great deals on cell phones .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics