Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Series recommendation

imamazing

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 5:17 pm
Looking for a book series recommendation for 2 nd grade boy. ( want to buy from scholastic or other) He reads well but I want him to be interested and motivated to keep reading. Fiction or non fiction.

What do your kids enjoy?

GetReal

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 5:24 pm
Right now my 2nd grader is into Andrew Lost, Encyclopedia Brown, and the Magic Treehouse books.

imamazing

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 5:27 pm
GetReal wrote:
Right now my 2nd grader is into Andrew Lost, Encyclopedia Brown, and the Magic Treehouse books.

Which does he/ she enjoy the most? I see the magic treehouse on scholastic but only want to invest in a worthwhile series and don't know anything about it ...

Frenchfry

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 5:32 pm
My kids liked The Littles at that age.

imamazing

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:58 am
any other suggestions?

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:03 am
Try taking the first couple of books from a few different series out of the library. See what your child really enjoys and then make a purchase. Or just keep taking books out of the library.

srbmom

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:12 am
My ds likes the magic school bus chapter books.
Whatever u decide to buy look on ebay first. Many times u can buy a set for half the price

Gitch

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 8:55 pm
Another vote for the Magic Tree House series. Its about a brother and sister who travel from their magical tree house to all different location and time periods. It is very engaging and full of information. The author has also written non fiction books that expound on the information of some of the fiction books.

My kids have also loved the Boxcar Children about a family of kids who live by themselves in a boxcar.

I would go to a library, speak to the librarian for suggestions and try some books out to see what your child would like. As a rule, I never buy fiction for my kids - we just borrow from the library. I only spend money on non-fiction, such as atlases, encyclopedias, science books, how tos etc.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:18 pm
A to Z mysteries are nice. What reading level is your son at - what are some other books that are currently a good fit for him? We can try to come up with similar ones.

imamazing

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:23 pm
He s been reading childrens books... all types. Trying to move him into chapter books. We don't go to the library, as its too far and doesn't work on our schedule. I want to buy as I have 3 younger children that love reading/ being read to as well. I ordered some cam jansens, remember loving those at this age...

keep the suggestions coming...thx!

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:32 pm
I asked because A to Z mysteries are on a lower reading level while Magic Treehouse is higher. A second grader could go either way, some depends on what kind of school they come from - one that teaches English reading earlier/later or emphasizes it more/less. I'd say A to Z mysteries is more of a high-first/medium-second grade level, while Magic Treehouse has more 3rd-4th grade appeal but could be good for a high 2nd grade reader. Encyclopedia Brown also a good fit for 4th-5th typically but an advanced reader could be interested in 2nd. If your kid is just starting chapter books I'd start with the simpler ones.

12rivkyk34

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:17 pm
A to Z mysteries, Junie B Jones, Magic tree house...amazing books but may be a bit high for the average good reader on a 2nd grade level.
If he likes comic style books- Box Car Kids has great ones and LEGO also.
Frog & Toad is a nice beginner chapter book to introduce 2nd graders to longer books. A bit lower level though (my second grader loves it!) Amelia Bedelia is shorter but also enjoyable.

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:46 pm
Is Junie B Jones the one I swore would never enter my home because the protagonist is an obnoxious brat? I can't remember...

animeme

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:47 pm
Likely.

Pink Flamingo

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:05 pm
Young cam janson

mommyyy

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 10:30 am
Marvin Redpost books by Louis Sachar and his wayside school books are really cute.
Also, I know you said scholastic, but a new inexpensive and super funny Jewish book is The Adventures of PJ Pepperjay.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 10:33 am
imamazing wrote:
He s been reading childrens books... all types. Trying to move him into chapter books. We don't go to the library, as its too far and doesn't work on our schedule. I want to buy as I have 3 younger children that love reading/ being read to as well. I ordered some cam jansens, remember loving those at this age...

keep the suggestions coming...thx!

You can order used copies at Amazon.

Another vote for Magic Treehouse.

imamazing

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 10:37 am
thx all !
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics