Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Major Snow storm coming to New York - prepare yourself
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

blueberries

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 5:42 pm
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says the snowstorm bearing down on the Northeast could be among the worst the city has ever seen.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/s.....TE=AP

alef12

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 5:55 pm
WEATHER!!
One of my favoritest things in the whole wide world to talk about!!! (ok, so now I sound a little like my tween LOL )

I don't know about the worst "EVER" does no one else remember 1996? 1998? Then again, I don't live in NYC, maybe the snow was worse up here Very Happy

Barbara

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:05 pm
alef12 wrote:
WEATHER!!
One of my favoritest things in the whole wide world to talk about!!! (ok, so now I sound a little like my tween LOL )

I don't know about the worst "EVER" does no one else remember 1996? 1998? Then again, I don't live in NYC, maybe the snow was worse up here Very Happy

They're calling for 20 to 30 inches in the NY area, which is a lot for us.

In contrast, NYC got 20 inches in 1996. (I had to look it up. Honest. I don't know this stuff.) That was the 4th highest snowfall ever recorded here.

So, yeah, this could be bad.

But FTR, while I don't remember it, my mother (a"h) used to talk about 1960-61, when there were 3 major storms on the East Coast in relatively fast succession. December 12 -- 13"; January 19, 10"; February 3, 19-24". All numbers in New York. Although I'm not from NY, so that's not what my mother was talking about.

srbmom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:13 pm
I remember the storm at the end of 2010, I beleive it was more than 20 inches. The city was completely unprepared for it - it was a disaster for days. We had a snow plow stuck on our block for close to two days.

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:16 pm
Dunno. As soon as they start making a big deal about a storm coming, I tune out. Somehow, if they make a big deal, nothing much comes out of it, but when everyone is quiet, the big storm strikes.

mirror

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:18 pm
I wonder if the NYC public schools will close? I have friends who teach special education...

myself

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:22 pm
Is it predicted for tomorrow?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:27 pm
myself wrote:
Is it predicted for tomorrow?
prediction is for it to start tomorrow afternoon with the worst of it coming down tomorrow night and predictions that people to be immobilized Tuesday morning.
I guess we'll see how it pans out.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:58 pm
Will any stores be open tomorrow? Glatt mart?

morah

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:05 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
I wonder if the NYC public schools will close? I have friends who teach special education...

Nobody's closing tomorrow. It's not supposed to start till the afternoon. And I don't think it's supposed to get really bad till the evening rush, so there is unlikely to be early dismissal either (maybe at yeshivahs that go till 6).

momx6

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:31 pm
sequoia wrote:
Will any stores be open tomorrow? Glatt mart?

They will be open but I don't think there's any food left lol! The stores on Avenue m were crazy today! LOL

momx6

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:34 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:

I hope our wonderful mayor closes public school if its really a blizzard!

artz

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:40 pm
in the year 2001 they where expecting a major storm and all the yeshivas and schools gave off it ended up being nothing

yidishmamma

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:44 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
Dunno. As soon as they start making a big deal about a storm coming, I tune out. Somehow, if they make a big deal, nothing much comes out of it, but when everyone is quiet, the big storm strikes.

I'm they same way and this time I'm really hoping for them to b wrong cuz I'm making upsherin Iyh Wednesday morning and want ppl to come and really don't want kids home on Tuesday

alef12

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:47 pm
I'm pretty sure we got over 3' in 1996. The snowdrifts were 4' to close to 5' it was crazy. It snowed nonstop for 2 days.
Now I'm sounding like my father and that blizzard in the 60s LOL

morah

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:54 pm
alef12 wrote:
I'm pretty sure we got over 3' in 1996. The snowdrifts were 4' to close to 5' it was crazy. It snowed nonstop for 2 days.
Now I'm sounding like my father and that blizzard in the 60s LOL

Yeah, 96 was big! I was a kid, and the snow was taller than me! And school was closed for TWO days, that was something that never happened.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:59 pm
In '96 I remember walking down the middle of Broadway which was deserted! Creepiest time I ever had in NYC but it was magical at the same time. I watched the snow come down all night because it was so beautiful. I had a well stocked kitchen and so I baked and cooked and all my friends ate like queens!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:01 pm
I love getting snowed in, but I don't live in the city. Last Dec. I was snowed in for 6 days and the power never went out. It was lovely, quiet, serene, I walked for hours.

alef12

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:09 pm
I know, DH and I love walking in the snow, it seems to absorb all sound at night and the world is so quiet. (Don't live in the city either) I sometimes wonder if DH and I are the only adults who love snow. All the people we know only complain about it What

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 8:46 pm
I love snow. I do feel a bit guilty for wanting a lot though, since my mother, grandmother and sister are petrified to go out in it.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics