Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Major Snow storm coming to New York - prepare yourself
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

fmt4

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 6:57 am
The blizzArd has been canceled. LOL

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:00 am
fmt4 wrote:
The blizzArd has been canceled. LOL
This made me laugh. The same thing happened a few weeks ago here in Israel. They were predicting the end of the world snow storm. And we got NOTHING like what they thought. Nothing. Maybe a few inches.
Glad to know its the year of the cancelled snow storms Smile

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:06 am
It wasn't exactly canceled, it was downgraded from blizzard to winter storm. Less severe but still dangerous. As usual the wind blew all the snow into our yard. My neighbor has six inches. We have at least 12. Gonna measure the drifts soon for fun.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:13 am
gp2.0 wrote:
It wasn't exactly canceled, it was downgraded from blizzard to winter storm. Less severe but still dangerous. As usual the wind blew all the snow into our yard. My neighbor has six inches. We have at least 12. Gonna measure the drifts soon for fun.
Sounds like my yard LOL
We always get everybody else's snow in the winter and everybody's loose trash the rest of the year.

rae gi

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:32 am
Mazes Tov southern bubby and fave. 👶🍼

workaholicmama

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:37 am
The kids all went to sleep with flashlight near their beds.... my fridge and freezer are stocked, plus my baking supplies are replenished, recipes prepared.... now our school said to.first let the kids daven and eat breakfast and call back 9:30 to hear abt schedules....

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:41 am
B"h the snow is not as bad as predicted. There are snowdrifts pretty deep but it's hard to estimate inches from my apartment.

mille

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 9:16 am
Long Island, RI, and Connecticut got hit really hard! Hope anyone who lives there is fairing well.

We were spared! It snowed, enough to justify our snow day, but not bad enough to cause too many problems, thank God!!

Time to enjoy hot chocolate Very Happy

morah

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 9:24 am
La Guardia was reporting 11 inches this morning, so we here in Queens got something. And my cousins on Long Island got over a foot and it's still coming down and they may actually come close to what was predicted. So it was hype for Manhattan and NJ, but not so for those of us farther East (or on New England). It's not a laughing matter for everybody, and as we learned from Sandy, when they DO get it right, you'd better hope you didn't laugh off the need to take precautions.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 9:27 am
Here in Boston, we've gotten about a foot, and are expecting at least another foot before it peters out tomorrow morning.

UQT

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 9:43 am
Our sympathies to you guys in Boston. Post pics for the people in Israel, not much here in Lakewood! Though we do get to spend a day of quality time with our kids before they are off for midwinter!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 9:52 am
Fave - mazel tov!
Sanguine - love the emoticon. And may life stay boring!
And NYers, even if not a full blizzard, it seems to be enough that it's a good thing you're all home today so there can be some effective cleanup.

chatouli

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:11 am
You can all thank me for the downgrade. I went and bought my kids snow pants and waterproof mittens in October. Their boots fit properly. So of course this winter has been much less snowy than last year, when they didn't have snow pants and the stores were sold out by the time it became clear they needed them! Smile

ETA imagine if I'd bought a snowblower or found a reliable service to clear the snow! It'd be 60 degrees all winter!

Last edited by chatouli on Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:14 am
Thank you chatouli! As a fellow follower of Murphy's law, I sincerely appreciate your efforts on our behalf.

Just a question... which ages do you get snowpants for, and what happens to them in school?

sky

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:14 am
I was at a wedding last night. They made the wedding earlier so it would be before the worst of the storm. It was the most packed wedding I've seen, especially the chuppa.
I guess everyone figured they would come before the storm hit, they thought no one else would show, and that they would really count. It was a fantastic wedding because everyone felt needed, and in the end there was no trouble getting home.
I felt bad for the out of towners (from NY LOL ) who had to sleep over because the bridges\roads were closed. They probably could have made it home.

chatouli

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:15 am
youngishbear wrote:
Thank you chatouli! As a fellow follower of Murphy's law, I sincerely appreciate your efforts on our behalf.

Just a question... which ages do you get snowpants for, and what happens to them in school?

My boys are 5 and 3. I drive them to school so we don't bother with snow pants on school days, just for outside play. Do you wanna build a snowman?

sky

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:17 am
youngishbear wrote:

We have snow pants for playing in the snow. My kids are outside all day when it snows and I hate changing their pants and tights every time. I get starting at 18 months with their coat from Marshals (London Fog sells it together) and then when they get older cheap pair. Gender Neutral colors keep getting passed down.

I keep thanking my neighbor who bought a snow blower for sparing all of us. I'm convinced that is what did it.

chatouli

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:20 am
I plan to buy a snowblower as soon as they go on sale so hopefully that will prove to be a waste of money too!

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:21 am
Chatouli, please make more of an effort for next year. 60 degree winters sound wonderful.

About that snowman... I think I'll let you make one. If you need, I have a shriveled carrot to donate for the cauae, but that's as close as I'll get to snowmen today...

mille

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:30 am
morah wrote:
La Guardia was reporting 11 inches this morning, so we here in Queens got something. And my cousins on Long Island got over a foot and it's still coming down and they may actually come close to what was predicted. So it was hype for Manhattan and NJ, but not so for those of us farther East (or on New England). It's not a laughing matter for everybody, and as we learned from Sandy, when they DO get it right, you'd better hope you didn't laugh off the need to take precautions.

And, it could have easily been as bad as they thought for us. The storm didn't move as far west as originally predicted, and there was a very sharp cut off for the snowfall on the edge of the storm. It's way better to be prepared for 30" and have it turn out to be 10" than to be prepared for the 5" that weather.com was predicting last night, and have it be 30"!!! I think 'over hyped' might be a bad phrase, it wasn't that it was always going to be a foot or less and it was hyped up to be more. It was genuinely predicted to be a significant amount of snow right up until late last evening when it shifted!

It really sucks that when weather patterns change, people then take future weather predictions less seriously, which can obviously be bad (like in the case of Sandy).

However, I am quite happy about the relatively mild winter we've been having so far in NJ! Previous bouts of snow melted really quickly, this is the first 'storm' we've really had and it wasn't bad at all.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics