Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Woman in America, Not allowed to drive.
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 5:59 pm
Frimet Goldberger grew up in Kiryas Yoel and wasn't allowed to drive because she is a woman.. I grew up in Boro Park and wasn't allowed to drive either because women are not allowed to drive. Anyone else? Do you drive today?
http://www.pri.org/stories/201.....drive

mirror

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:03 pm
I have a friend who drove lived in Boro Park and drove a car. I think it depends on your Rabbi.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:07 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
I have a friend who drove lived in Boro Park and drove a car. I think it depends on your Rabbi.

Right, women in Boro Park drive. I should have said I grew up satmar and none of the women in my family drive. That includes Satmar Williamsburg, Boro Park, kiryas yoel, London, Monsey, and Israel. Lots of women in my huge family, none of them drive.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 6:44 pm
I will probably be bashed for saying this but in Boro Park and Williamsburg, people drive like maniacs and although BP has some street parking, I don't see that as being the case in Williamsburg. If I lived there, I would probably not own a car. My kids live in CH and the alternate side parking is a real punishment for car owners. A real pain in the tuches. I say, skip the driving and take the bus or walk. Too many accidents there.

centurion

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:14 pm
Here we go again...

happy12

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:23 pm
If you choose to be part of that kehilla you must follow the rules. I, as an outsider, have driven in KJ without any problems.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:30 pm
While many women drive, it's still true that various communities strongly discourage it.

a jewish woman

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 7:53 pm
happy12 wrote:
If you choose to be part of that kehilla you must follow the rules. I, as an outsider, have driven in KJ without any problems.

It's one thing if you choose to be part of a kehilla, it's another story if you grew up in said kehillah and don't have much of a choice in the matter.

elliegator8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:37 pm
I'm not allowed to and I don't care. It seems like a headache. Even being a rider is annoying

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:41 pm
elliegator8 wrote:
I'm not allowed to and I don't care. It seems like a headache. Even being a rider is annoying

exactly what I was trying to say

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:51 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I will probably be bashed for saying this but in Boro Park and Williamsburg, people drive like maniacs and although BP has some street parking, I don't see that as being the case in Williamsburg. If I lived there, I would probably not own a car. My kids live in CH and the alternate side parking is a real punishment for car owners. A real pain in the tuches. I say, skip the driving and take the bus or walk. Too many accidents there.

Agree.

I am satmar so I don't really get the choice, but I doubt I would choose to drive in wmsbg. Parking is way too much of a hassle.

I wish there was an easier way to get from wmsbg to bp than that overcrowded bus though.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:51 pm
I'm not allowed to drive - by the DMV. I have practically NO depth perception. Confused

I've managed just fine, between public transportation and getting rides with friends.

KollelWife3

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:08 pm
Not tempted in the least bit.

With all the road rage and honking going on, as previously mentioned, would do me more harm than good.

Thanks, but no, thanks.

little_mage

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:22 am
southernbubby wrote:

But there is a difference between not owning a car because it doesn't make sense for you right now (the situation I'm currently in), and saying flat out that you're not allowed to drive. I don't currently have a car, and I can certainly see that I wouldn't want one in parts of NYC. But...I have a driver's license, and there's no way I would give that up. It's too useful to be able to rent a car occasionally to go somewhere, or when we're somewhere else, or even to sometimes borrow a car. Saying I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of owning a car in the city is very different from saying I don't want to be able to drive ever.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:52 am
I can't imagine not driving.

I have alot of respect for Chassidim, especially some of my really special relatives...but I don't think I'll ever join the lifestyle, with driving being a biggee there.

My grandmother A"H owned a car and drove, in Boro Park, in the 60's.

My DH grew up in Flatbush, and his parents did not own a car. My MIL A"H never learned to drive - her choice. DH felt restricted, growing up and being limited to buses, trains, taxis, and getting rides from those who did drive.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 11:19 am
I have driven for over 20 years in NYC and all over the US. I am terrified to drive in israel. The drivers are crazy and I am afraid I will make a wrong turn and end up in an Arab village. If I make Aliyah I won't drive.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 11:29 am
I agree driving and owning a car in NYC is a pain and its also bh very easy to manage without a car for most things. But I am so glad that my chassidus has no such restriction. The most tznius chabad women I know drive, and if they don't that is due to other factors. Like I know someone who had so many kids in close succession that she never had time for driving lessons.

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:02 pm
I am really sick and tired of this discussion there are numerous threads about it. I have discussed this here too. there isnt much that can be done. its the way they want their lifestyle and chasidim in general dont like new things. they try very hard not to bring in modern stuff even if it does come in as is many advancements like washing machines and so forth they frown upon it bec of any influences. obviously wahsing machines isnt the best example. they try very hard to protect their kids from influences. even more so then in other circles. now you can argue about that. but if you want the answer thats what it is. I am chasidish not satmar and many pp in my family drive, circumstances asked for it and there was no other choice, think oot about 45 yrs ago. in some chasidus its more frowned upon then others. no need to be upset about it, there are bigger problems in yiddishkeit in general then this. jmho

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:05 pm
sourstix that explanation holds water if it is everyone who is not allowed to drive...but its women only.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
I have driven for over 20 years in NYC and all over the US. I am terrified to drive in israel. The drivers are crazy and I am afraid I will make a wrong turn and end up in an Arab village. If I make Aliyah I won't drive.

It's all what you're used to. I can't imagine driving abroad now. I manage fine here in Israel. And really, most people don't take the wrong turn and end up in Arab villages...especially not today with waze and so on.
In Israel, there are some places where it really is a pain to have a car (central Jerusalem may well be one of them...). But in most areas here, a car is a great, great help.

I can't fathom living in a culture where women aren't allowed to drive. I would hate to raise my kids there today, when there are so many alternatives.

But to all those who are saying, 'it doesn't bother me. Cars are so expensive/I hate driving/whatever' - you're missing the point entirely. So a car isn't useful for you. It is for many other people. It's a basic tool for freedom of movement. It's not like saying, who cares if women aren't allowed to drive yachts....(that would bother me too, but on a theoretical level).
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics