Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help me get my baby to sleep through the night

shirtsandskirts

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:10 pm
I have a 12 month old baby, who wakes up 4:15 every morning, and I can't do that. She goes to sleep at 6pm becuase she is a terrible napper and usually only naps for about an hour at 10am (after waking at 4:15). How can I get her to sleep 12 hours at night and to nap better?

I do not believe in crying it out. I go into her and massage her back and shshsh, but she keeps screaming until we take her out (and she is usually hungry so we feed her), I know it's not good to feed her at that time, but she won't stop screaming.

Please help!

srbmom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:18 pm
My first reply was going to be to let her cry it out - but I see you're not into that.

Another idea may be to go into her before you go to sleep at night - 10-11pm and give her a couple ounces to eat while she is basically sleeping. This may help her sleep longer in the morning.

shirtsandskirts

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:27 pm
Thanks, but she is pretty much off bottles at this point. She gets one during the day, and the rest is real food. The problem also is that she is so tired by supper time that she eats very little. I try to give her a "snack- fruit" around 4pm and that's about the last thing she eats. She eats a very big breakfast, then a bottle, then a snack then lunch then a snack.

pickle321

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:32 pm
Try to keep her up later at night at least till 7. And I think the key is getting her to nap. You should try not to feed her at 4:15, the fact that she wakes up at the same time shows that she is probably not waking from hunger and feeding her will make her to continue to wake up and stay up so you have to figure out a way to get her back to sleep without feeding her. I reccomend reading the baby whisperer or another sleep training book. Do it now before she gets older

kb

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:35 pm
Can you give her a drink (sippy cup) instead of real food?

shirtsandskirts

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 9:39 pm
pcikle- yes I just requested baby whisperer at the library. And no matter what time she goes to sleep she wakes up 4:15. she can't stay up later.She is physically exhausted by 5:30, I push push push her until 6.

kb- Maybe I can give her formula in a sippy cup, I can try that.

Chavas

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:03 pm
Babies this age take two naps. Try a second nap late afternoon, and push off her bedtime until at least 7.

shirtsandskirts

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:05 pm
Chavas wrote:
Babies this age take two naps. Try a second nap late afternoon, and push off her bedtime until at least 7.

Yes I try at 2pm.but she screams and screams and refuses to nap. My question is expanded to how do I get her to nap?

Chavas

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:08 pm
If she naps at 10, then she won't be ready by 2. Try 3:30. Between 18 months and two they usually take one long nap.

shirtsandskirts

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:10 pm
Chavas wrote:
If she naps at 10, then she won't be ready by 2. Try 3:30. Between 18 months and two they usually take one long nap.

Yes I meant 2 and on. I try again at 4ish. nothing doing. She refuses and I can't sit with her and massage her because my older one is home then.

srbmom

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:42 pm
I think one is young to be only drinking only one cup of milk a day.
I would definitely try a sippy cup with milk before bed and see what happens with that.

picklelover

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:53 am
Hi, I just came across this thread. I hope you figured it out by now, but in case you still need help here is my two cents:
It sounds like your baby is extremely overtired. Keeping a baby up till she is exhausted and overtired, only makes her sleep less!
Also, usually babies at that age are ready for their first nap only a few hours after they wake up in the morning. Your baby tho is up for 6 hours in the morning- from 4-10! So basically she is soooo overtired by the time she takes her first nap and she is soooo overtired by the time she goes to bed for the night! She is sleep deprived.
You have to work slowly but for now:
If you bring up her first nap to much earlier like 7- do anything it takes to get her to sleep like if putting her into bed won't work, then maybe for the next week, take her on a walk in her stroller or for a long ride in the car on a highway. Or if she takes a pacifier, I attach the pacifiers to the bottom of the cribs with a short string. (It's not a choking hazard, it's very short- just a couple inches. And no it doesn't force her to stay in that position all night cuz kids only use it till they fall asleep. I find my kids all over their beds in many diff positions during the night.) Soon enough her body will automatically be ready to be put down then for a nap. Then around maybe 2ish try again. This way she had a longer stretch between the naps, which that time will be much more productive cuz she will be awake and happy and have lots of energy. So by the time her next nap comes she is much more ready to nap. Keep that second nap short like about an hour to an hour and a half.
Then put her to bed at night at around 7.
Eventually, she will start waking up in the morning later like around 6:30/7. So then put her to nap at around 9 or 9:30 cuz she will be used to falling asleep a couple hours after morning wake up, just keep it short so she will be ready again for her nap at 2.
Again, you would have to do this gradually.
Good luck!!

shirtsandskirts

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:05 am
Thanks! the problem is that I have another child who is home until 9 and after 2 and makes it virtually impossible for the baby to nap. And the baby is waking her up at 4:30 so she is extremley overtired as welll and doesn't behave, she is 3. It's all a mess. what can I do to help both of them?

picklelover

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:31 am
Do they share a bedroom? If not, you can use a sound machine. It blocks out the noise so they won't wake each other up.
Later on, once the baby gets onto a normal schedule, the times your 3 year old is not home is actually perfect for the baby cuz baby will nap around 9/9:30 and you can put her down for her second nap before your other one comes home. Then with the help of a noise machine, the baby won't hear when the 3 yr old comes home.
But for now, if they do share a room, hmm maybe u can have the baby take her first nap in your room?
Also, another very helpful thing is to make the room as dark as possible. We put up black garbage bags over the windows (but under the shades so it's not so noticeable). That, together with a sound machine should help tremendously. (Even if ppl will argue that you are getting your baby used to these sleep crutches, right now your issue is to get your baby to sleep! It's crucial! There can cv be negative side effects if a child was sleep deprived. So right now ur priority is to get her to sleep, wtvr it takes. Once her body gets used to it, u will later decide if u want to slowly take away their sleep crutches.
Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics