Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is my baby normal?!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:19 pm
HI,
I am the fortunate,blessed mother of a houseful of children BH. I am a little baffled by my baby's behaviour, I have never before experienced anything like this. Please comment on this thread if you can relate to this or have anything to say to put my mind at rest:

I regularly put my 4 month old baby down in his crib in the evening when he has nursed and is just a little bit sleepy. I rock him for two minutes, sing Shma and Hamaloch to him and put him down in his crib in a darkened room. I put a blanket on him, kiss him and whisper goodnight. Most nights he smiles at me and I leave the room. He then spends between 2 - 15 minutes just lying awake silently until he falls asleep. No noises, no crying, just lies quietly.
Is that normal?! I never in my life had a baby who just puts himself to sleep! And without crying! This baby BH is just like any other, a little kvetchy, sometimes happy, smiles, gurgles, laughs, kicks his feet, lies under his baby gym, sits in a babyseat, etc.

Is it a bad sign or a good sign? Or neither? Am I just blessed with an easy baby or do I need to worry?
And furthermmore, I am feeling guilty that I am not holding him and cuddling him more. Is it 'not nice' of me to leave him awake without cuddling him to sleep? At this age of infancy I am usually nursing or rocking my babies to sleep still.

Any comments? Thanks in advance.

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:23 pm
I had one of those too. Count your blessings.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:24 pm
Is this a joke?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:26 pm
I don't think it's a joke. My DD was never a hassle when it came to naps or going down to sleep or sleeping through the night.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:26 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Is this a joke?

I am the OP
No my dear friend, this is most certainly not a joke! I never never never in my life had a baby who goes to sleep like this! I just want to know if it is normal! I guess you have never experienced the issues that I experienced putting all my many previous babies to sleep, if you think my post was a joke....

I just need to know - is he normal, or do I need to worry that he is autistic or something?

boysrus

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
I am the OP
No my dear friend, this is most certainly not a joke! I never never never in my life had a baby who goes to sleep like this! I just want to know if it is normal! I guess you have never experienced the issues that I experienced putting all my many previous babies to sleep, if you think my post was a joke....

I just need to know - is he normal, or do I need to worry that he is autistic or something?

why would you worry that he is autistic?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:47 pm
Mainly because he just lies there quietly. And as I wrote, I never had a baby like this before!

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:48 pm
One of my babies was like this also, not only did she go to sleep peacefully, she also slept for hours at a time. She is still my easiest child, she is extremely laid back and loves to help out.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:49 pm
boysrus wrote:
why would you worry that he is autistic?

Not the op but I understand what ops concerned about. Autistic kids are less emotional and may not cry or smile as much when they are babies. Op- I don't think you have anything to worry about especially since throughout the day your baby laughs and behaves like a typical baby.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
Mainly because he just lies there quietly. And as I wrote, I never had a baby like this before!

I understand you op. I never had a baby like that either and would probably be really nervous too! But apparently they exist Wink enjoy it! Check with your ped if you're really really nervous but it's probably fine!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:51 pm
glutenless wrote:
One of my babies was like this also, not only did she go to sleep peacefully, she also slept for hours at a time. She is still my easiest child, she is extremely laid back and loves to help out.

Thanks glutenless, this is OP
So my baby does sometimes sleep through the night, which is another thing that no baby of mine has ever done before at such a young age. So you are saying that maybe he is just an easy, less fussy and happy baby......... Well in that case,I am truly blessed........

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
Not the op but I understand what ops concerned about. Autistic kids are less emotional and may not cry or smile as much when they are babies. Op- I don't think you have anything to worry about especially since throughout the day your baby laughs and behaves like a typical baby.

This is Op
Thanks for your comment. Thanks, I hope you are right. So, if my baby does usually communicate, laugh and smile, then it is not likely that he is autistic?

cookiejar

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:53 pm
If his affect and connectedness and social-emotional development seems to be "on" during the day, you do not need to worry about the fact that he calmly puts himself to sleep at night. Sounds like a very well regulated child to me! You have taught him well! Enjoy!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:56 pm
cookiejar wrote:
If his affect and connectedness and social-emotional development seems to be "on" during the day, you do not need to worry about the fact that he calmly puts himself to sleep at night. Sounds like a very well regulated child to me! You have taught him well! Enjoy!

Hey thanks cookiejar, its not me who has taught him that, it seems to be his natural disposition!

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 10:59 pm
Count your blessings--G-d decided to give you an easy baby. Enjoy him!

worknights1313

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:01 pm
Does your baby engage with you, gaze in your eyes, observe you and wait for your reactions? If the baby laughs, reacts to others, communicates with others non-verbally, makes good eye contact, cries appropriately, plays appropriately, etc. then you most likely have nothing to worry about.

We didn't do extended nightly routines with our babies. We put them in their cribs, kissed them goodnight, and then left the room. Some babbled for a while, some looked around, one or two cried for a minute. Then they went to sleep and that, was that. Well, until the absolute last baby, anyway. She terrorized us and broke the mold. She gets bedtime rituals some of the time. We aren't as tired.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:04 pm
Thanks zaq!

Workingnights1313, thanks also for your response! yes, all his other communications seem normal to me. Thanks to all who responded on this thread for helping to calm me down Wink I really appreciate your help.

Miri7

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:06 pm
My DS, now 6 was the same way. He is just a great sleeper by nature. At 4 he would announce at the Shabbat table "I'm tired can I go to bed now?" And the first time he trotted off to bed we were shocked. I still find that sometimes he's put himself to bed early. Smile.

Sounds like your baby is fine and meeting the right milestones

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:11 pm
Bli Iyin Hara, you have an easygoing, self soothing baby! Enjoy! Very Happy

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks glutenless, this is OP
So my baby does sometimes sleep through the night, which is another thing that no baby of mine has ever done before at such a young age. So you are saying that maybe he is just an easy, less fussy and happy baby......... Well in that case,I am truly blessed........

I hope for your sake this baby is like mine, she is now a teenager and is still a happy, easygoing person.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics