Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Boycott Borsalino?
1  2  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 2:42 pm
I must be slow reading the news lately. Apparently bochurim are boycotting Borsalino due to the cost. Why not buy something they/their parents find affordable? Families have budgets, determine what you can afford and buy the best you can afford for your family. Not everyone can afford a Lexus.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 3:00 pm
Well, thats why I boycott Shevy sheitels. I refuse to spend 4k on a wig so I boycott her. I buy what I can afford.

I dont understand this borsalino boycott.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 3:03 pm
Yea the boycott makes no sense. They are boycotting because of the price increases. So, buy something less expensive. The solution is quite simple, those that can afford a Borsalino can buy one, those that can't buy something else. Why must the wheels of commerce slow or stop because someone can't afford something.

ally

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 3:12 pm
Apparently economics 101 is not on the curriculum in these yeshivas.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 3:13 pm
I don't see choosing to buy a less expensive alternative as "boycotting." Am I currently boycotting Rolls Royce because I have a Toyota?

elliegator8

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 3:14 pm
There are so many hat companys to choose from, why not just move on from borsalino instead of wasting energy boycotting

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 4:11 pm
DrMom wrote:
I don't see choosing to buy a less expensive alternative as "boycotting." Am I currently boycotting Rolls Royce because I have a Toyota?

I laughed when I read your comment. Thinking about it though, the boycott does make economic sense in that if becomes unacceptable to wear a Borsalino then presumably Borsaloino will have lost a major market. We all know that frum Jews are heard animals. One person will not make a difference I agree.

In a way this is a good thing the heard is going for a cheaper product unlike the usual stampede towards the most expensive out of reach items. I actually like this trend. I purchased my son's hats for him for his bar mitzvah. I was in shock over the prices. There really isn't a reason a teenager needs a hat that expensive.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 5:07 pm
I live in the west and western hats work for me, not the cowboy ones, and they must have a hobble. I buy them vintage and know how to clean a good hat, I don't believed I've paid more than $40 for a pre WW2 Stetson. I did buy a Borsalino off Ebay a few years ago, I have a small head and it's likely it was originally a childs. It was $19 because of a few spots on the back of the crown which cleaned up quite well. I think the hobble I purchased from Stetson cost as much as the hat. Sad

Theoretically if you have several boys and the hat is well cared for (or you know a bit about restoring and cleaning a hat yourself) you might save some money over the long term.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 6:21 pm
Do I smell a business chance for manufacturers of tophats and tricorn hats to capture market share?

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 6:42 pm
there are so many hats out there ... sonny boy bought an authentic 60s or 70s hat with the tag still attached on-line for a drop in the bucket

he's also purchased borsalino's in the past

here I thought the boycott had something to do with italy & a strike - but maybe I'm thinking france ... [see why I failed history]

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 6:45 pm
DrMom wrote:

Yep. And I am boycotting Louis Vuitton. Not because of the price but because I think their stuff looks like yellow wax buildup.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:00 pm
zaq wrote:
Yep. And I am boycotting Louis Vuitton. Not because of the price but because I think their stuff looks like yellow wax buildup.

maybe this one ...

but they are all not created equal ...

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:21 pm
Exhibit B looks like a kindergarten child's rendering of exhibit A. Cheerful, but still ugly. Which is better than ugly and depressing, but only marginally so.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:27 pm
I have a Vuitton duffle I bought at their Paris flagship circa 76, it was my diaper bag when the DD was little and now it's my 'everything for a weekend bag.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:36 pm
Those hats are expensive because they're made with rabbit fur...why not just buy hats made of synthetic materials?

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:39 pm
I see Borsalino hats selling at barneys.com for $450...in that case $275 is a bargain.

http://www.barneys.com/Borsali.....P8HAQ

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:40 pm
zaq wrote:
Exhibit B looks like a kindergarten child's rendering of exhibit A. Cheerful, but still ugly. Which is better than ugly and depressing, but only marginally so.

well I gravitate toward colourful things ... how's this one ?

[btw ~ in case you don't know I HATE pocketbooks - and I'd say this brand especially too I think it has more to do with the initials everywhere]

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 7:49 pm
I never got the whole giant purse thing - they are uncomfortable to haul around and usually filled with junk you don't need...I like a tiny wristlet with just enough room for wallet, keys, cell phone and maybe some tissues. I'm especially a fan of a cell phone holder/wallet/key ring.

http://www.target.com/p/merona.....P8HAQ

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 1:14 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I see Borsalino hats selling at barneys.com for $450...in that case $275 is a bargain.

http://www.barneys.com/Borsali.....P8HAQ

Whoot!! Thanks for the link,now I don't feel badly for putting $40 into my beaver felt Borsalino.

Now I need some help with finding another pricey item to boycott.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 1:21 pm
zaq wrote:

Yes! Dingy brown and tan. Yuck! How did this dowdy pattern ever become popular?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics