Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Boycott Borsalino?
Previous  1  2

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 1:29 pm
double post.

Last edited by Heyaaa on Tue, Jan 27 2015, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barbara

MagentaYenta wrote:
Yea the boycott makes no sense. They are boycotting because of the price increases. So, buy something less expensive. The solution is quite simple, those that can afford a Borsalino can buy one, those that can't buy something else. Why must the wheels of commerce slow or stop because someone can't afford something.

Actually, it makes sense to me.

This group is a major purchaser of these hats, and a group in which conformity is valued. Perhaps it's even the primary market for the hats. The group therefore has leverage if it acts as a whole. Keep prices affordable or we will all leave is more persuasive than your prices are too high, so a few of us won't buy.

Heyaaa

greenfire wrote:
maybe this one ...

but they are all not created equal ...

This is what I think of when I think of a pretty louis vuitton.

I agree that the first one you showed looks like yellow wax buildup.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 1:31 pm
What I find hilarious is that these bachurim actually think that their boycott is significant enough to impact the company. This company sells to stores like Neimans and Saks and frankly since the fedora is in I'm sure that they'll sell plenty of their other styles. It's like if someone here decided to boycott Bugaboo: trust me, they have other target markets, customers, and clientele.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 1:32 pm
Barbara wrote:
Actually, it makes sense to me.

This group is a major purchaser of these hats, and a group in which conformity is valued. Perhaps it's even the primary market for the hats. The group therefore has leverage if it acts as a whole. Keep prices affordable or we will all leave is more persuasive than your prices are too high, so a few of us won't buy.

If they have leverage then the boycott is appropriate. I do not believe that they do. This company sells to many individuals outside of the frum (and Jewish) market, although this particular hat is probably just for this market, but is much cheaper than most of their hats. It not even be worthwhile for the company to continue producing and selling these hats..........

abound

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 3:38 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I live in the west and western hats work for me, not the cowboy ones, and they must have a hobble. I buy them vintage and know how to clean a good hat, I don't believed I've paid more than $40 for a pre WW2 Stetson. I did buy a Borsalino off Ebay a few years ago, I have a small head and it's likely it was originally a childs. It was $19 because of a few spots on the back of the crown which cleaned up quite well. I think the hobble I purchased from Stetson cost as much as the hat. Sad

Theoretically if you have several boys and the hat is well cared for (or you know a bit about restoring and cleaning a hat yourself) you might save some money over the long term.

How about a tutorial? Whats the best way to take care of these hats?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 3:59 pm
abound wrote:
How about a tutorial? Whats the best way to take care of these hats?

Invest in a good soft brush with natural bristles and brush every day, brush with the grain. Gently wipe the leather interior band with a lightly damp cloth after each use. Allow the hat to air out. Every month clean the leather headband with a good leather cleaner, do not get the cleaner on the hat. Never ever use a Fabreeze type product for ridding the hat of odor. Invest in some dual sided erasers. Not the gum kind but the two that have different sides and densities. These can be used to clean spots. Always do it gently and with the grain. Invest in soft, medium and hard toothbrushes to use for cleaning stuck on stuff. Never use a vacuum on the hat.

If the hat is good beaver or rabbit, keep it out of the rain. If there are rain spots, let it air dry thoroughly, then gently work each spot with a soft toothbrush with the grain. Let it sit over night and then brush with your every day brush. If the spots are still visible work them again. I've had some luck using a small square of micro fiber in raising the nap on the felt after rain, but I prefer the brushing myself.

The key to this cleaning is not to disturb the felting, or the hairs that make up the surface of the felt in a good hat. When storing the hat store it in a cool dry dark place, but air it out every once in a while and give it a brush.

That's the quick rundown. If you have specific questions about types of spots and stains let me know.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 4:48 pm
greenfire wrote:
well I gravitate toward colourful things ... how's this one ?

[btw ~ in case you don't know I HATE pocketbooks - and I'd say this brand especially too I think it has more to do with the initials everywhere]

This one I like, though I would never buy a bag of light-color leather because it will start to look dingy a lot sooner than it will wear out. But the color is lovely. You are 100% correct about the initials--they are obnoxious.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 11:34 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't see choosing to buy a less expensive alternative as "boycotting." Am I currently boycotting Rolls Royce because I have a Toyota?

I am refraining from buying a private jet and instead fly economy, so I'm saving much more.

abound

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:08 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Invest in a good soft brush with natural bristles and brush every day, brush with the grain. Gently wipe the leather interior band with a lightly damp cloth after each use. Allow the hat to air out. Every month clean the leather headband with a good leather cleaner, do not get the cleaner on the hat. Never ever use a Fabreeze type product for ridding the hat of odor. Invest in some dual sided erasers. Not the gum kind but the two that have different sides and densities. These can be used to clean spots. Always do it gently and with the grain. Invest in soft, medium and hard toothbrushes to use for cleaning stuck on stuff. Never use a vacuum on the hat.

If the hat is good beaver or rabbit, keep it out of the rain. If there are rain spots, let it air dry thoroughly, then gently work each spot with a soft toothbrush with the grain. Let it sit over night and then brush with your every day brush. If the spots are still visible work them again. I've had some luck using a small square of micro fiber in raising the nap on the felt after rain, but I prefer the brushing myself.

The key to this cleaning is not to disturb the felting, or the hairs that make up the surface of the felt in a good hat. When storing the hat store it in a cool dry dark place, but air it out every once in a while and give it a brush.

That's the quick rundown. If you have specific questions about types of spots and stains let me know.

Thank you this is detailed and clear. I appreciate this.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:03 pm
How much are the borsalinos? How much are the hats that look like but are not borssalinos? And, how often do you need to replace them?

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 2:47 pm
I'm not certain this truly counts as a boycott, but I'm willing to avoid semantic arguments because I'm so impressed that a group of bochrim are putting their collective feet down and refusing to spend money unnecessarily. This is the good side of the conformity coin!

Now, if only they would similarly boycott $50,000 chassunahs!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics