Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Working with kids around

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 2:48 pm
My office is closing tomorrow because of the snow and all employees are working from home.
I assume that my children will also be off tomorrow because of the snow ... how can I keep them occupied enough to get work done? I have 3 kids under 5 and spend a lot of time on the phone with clients so I really need them pretty quiet.
I'm stocked up with coloring books and crayons ... what else? They can spend a long time building with Lego in general, but I think they have internal radar that tells them when I need them to play - and they run to me and kvetch!!

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 2:54 pm
If this is not practical for you perhaps you can discuss it with your employer and just take the day off (with or without pay). I can't imagine being able to tt clients with children that age at home. And the other question that begs to be asked, is are your clients individuals or businesses? Won't a lot of businesses be closed due to the snow?

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 6:57 pm
I'd hire a walking distance neighbor to occupy and feed them. Good luck.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:00 pm
Mostly music has Jewish kids videos online that you can pay to watch. That's been great for us when we've been in similar situations. Good luck!

wereafamily

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:10 pm
I just came on to post about this - any ideas for a two year old?

SRS

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:26 pm
3 children under 5. .. .sounds impossible and I have the working thing to an art. I think you need a neighborhood teenager to stay the day and pay her well!

kb

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:50 pm
SRS, I'll let you know in a few years - either I'll figure out the working, or I'll have mastered the art of finding babysitters. Smile

Wereafamily, not easy, but if you provide different activities throughout the day, it's doable (at least usually, with my kids) - coloring, balloons, lunch, music cds, lego, nosh, shh... jumping on the beds, stickers, spritzers with water in the bathtub, washing dishes. I don't do all these things. But they're all ideas.

(One very busy work day, my kids spent an hour literally inside my sink "washing dishes". As soon as I realized, I removed the breakable dishes, snapped some pictures, left them there, and went back to work.)

Whatever you do, ration the activities. One thing at a time. Or it'll all be used up in five minutes and you'll be stuck.

Last edited by kb on Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

SRS

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 9:59 pm
I can work before kids wake up, with a kid on the lap, with a kid playing next to me, or while reading to a kid. I'd try to limit client meetings (tough I know) or schedule them and use some screen time if you allow such during those meetings. But little ones aren't big ones in front of a screen and it isn't a sure thing. Plus I hate too much screen as it is. I sympathize. Let us know how it goes.

mominey

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 6:49 pm
wow, I know you probably dealt with this already but if you ever have to again, my advice is to stock up with the games and treats and not to expect a full day of work from yourself, otherwise you will end up being frustrated bec. I can't imagine that it's possible to put in the same amount of all day effort to the job as you can when it's in the office. Oh- and a good babysitter is huge but clearly not everyone has that. Hope it went well!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers