Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Healthy snacks for kids to take to school.

queen76

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 6:32 am
I would love to give my kids healthy snacks to school.
Whenever I pack them up a fruit, it comes home.
They're not interested in fruit or cut up veggies in school.
I'm okay with that because they all eat fruits & veggies @ home. I recently read an article, that potato chips are terrible. They have cancer causing agents when fried.
I feel very guilty because my kids take a bag of chips to school every day. I can't deprive them, if every one is bringing "good snacks".
Any suggestions of "not such unhealthy snacks" ?

morah

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 6:39 am
You can make your own potato chips. Still not the best thing in the world, but what you make at home with three simple ingredients is better than the package with thirty ingredients that you cannot even pronounce. You can make your own granola bars or healthy little brownies and wrap them so they look like snacks.

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 6:47 am
Have you tried pop chips or soy chips? What about pretzels or flavored mini rice cakes?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 7:53 am
mds wrote:
I would love to give my kids healthy snacks to school.
Whenever I pack them up a fruit, it comes home.
They're not interested in fruit or cut up veggies in school.
I'm okay with that because they all eat fruits & veggies @ home. I recently read an article, that potato chips are terrible. They have cancer causing agents when fried.
I feel very guilty because my kids take a bag of chips to school every day. I can't deprive them, if every one is bringing "good snacks".
Any suggestions of "not such unhealthy snacks" ?
pretzels, popcorn, smart fries (popped), homemade fruit leather...

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:07 am
You posted under cakes, cookies and muffins.... so not sure if you were looking for those specifically, but I make my kids a trail mix and that goes over pretty well. I mix some granola (no sugar) with a variety of nuts and seeds, throw in a few raisins or dried cranberries plus a few chocolate chips.
Also, you said your kids don't want veggies for snack, but sometimes jazzed up with an exciting dip can make veggies sticks all of the sudden very appealing.
Same with fruit - Bananas or strawberries that have been dipped in a bit of dark chocolate becomes very appealing for most kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins