Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Son signing up for machal
Previous  1  2

Peanut2

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:22 am
Yeah I know people who strictly followed that (well, the not moving. I don't knownof anyone who didn't visit.) But I also know a lots of guys who did machal and then made Aliyah.

If you want contacts you can PM me, though I am already very old by army years and he may be better off asking his friends and guys at yeshiva.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:28 am
Peanut2 wrote:
Yeah I know people who strictly followed that (well, the not moving. I don't knownof anyone who didn't visit.) But I also know a lots of guys who did machal and then made Aliyah.

If you want contacts you can PM me, though I am already very old by army years and he may be better off asking his friends and guys at yeshiva.

From what I know it's been the rule for a while, but they've gone back and forth on whether they actually enforce it. He should definitely check what the current status is.

OP, If his main reason for doing machal is to make sure his aliyah isn't within a year of yours, would he care if he has to finish the rest of the three years? As in, if you weren't coming for another year or two, would he be making aliyah now and doing the three years anyway?

edited for spelling- sticky keys on keyboard

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:57 pm
Thanks for the great advice- you are right about after 2 years service and having to leave- but we found a loop hole (that we have verified) since he will be part of the machal hesder program, if he declares aliyah after his first year of service in machal, he is transferred into the regular israeli hesder/army program and will not have to leave.

If we were not making aliyah now- he would have wanted to make aliyah at the end of this school year(with or without us). Don't want to push off our aliyah as the timing is pretty good for the rest of the kids in the family. (and I feel the strong need to get out of America-is that crazy?? )

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:13 pm
Nothing crazy about it! Most families I know who came with a mix of high-school and post-hs kids officially made aliyah separately.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions