Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Autism services (specifically ABA, Floortime and Speech)

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 12:37 am
My husband and I are strongly considering aliyah. We have a child with a (ka'h) extremely high functioning presentation of autism spectrum disorder. He b"H ka'h is learning to work through his challenges, and on his current trajectory will iy"H be able to pursue whatever options he wishes when he reaches adult.

That having been said, he still benefits from regular ABA and speech therapy. In our current home, he b"H has access to stellar resources. I am very worried that if we make aliyah he will not be able to get the support that he needs, as neither my husband nor I speak Hebrew well enough to fight for services or advocate for our son with Hebrew-speaking administrators. Additionally, I have heard very mixed reviews about the types of services available in Israel and that the quality of services varies based on where one lives. We would ideally live in a Chardal or working Yeshivish community within easy commuting distance of Haifa or Tel Aviv. (In our current community we qualify as Yeshivish, however, we would define ourselves more as a Modern Orthodox world view with a Yeshivish approach to halacha.)

Can anyone with experience accessing these therapies in Israel offer any perspective/advice? We would love to make aliyah, but we cannot move to Israel if it would ch'v put our son's future at risk.

grace413

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 1:29 am
http://www.alutfriends.org/

This is the site of the Israeli Society for Autistic Children. Perhaps they can help you.

Hatzlacha.

Karnash

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 1:33 am
If you pm me, I'll give you my daughter's email, she's a speech therapist with experience in these methods and can probably fill you in about available services. B' hatzlacha

etky

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 1:56 am
I don't see why you would 'have to fight'.
Your son would be evaluated (you'll probably have to do this privately for it to be done well, especially b/c he is high-functioning) but once he is defined in the system as ASD he will get the therapies, through the kuppa, to which he is entitled. It's pretty straighforward.
Of course you will have to scout out the better therapists in whatever community you end up in - indeed this might even impact your choice of community - but that is par for the course anywhere I believe.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 3:07 am
Thank you all for the fast replies!

As far as "fighting" is concerned, in America it is fairly common for parents to need to fight the school districts in order to obtain the services to which their kids are legally entitled. I don't know how the system works in Israel, but I do know that I cannot do a good job of fighting or advocating for my child in Hebrew and that is a major source of concern. (I am, thank God, a very successful advocate in America but here I can speak the native language.)

Is the kuppa a health care provider? I don't know how these things work in Israel.

sped

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 5:36 am
You do make good points, and sometimes often you have to fight to get services. You may be able to get some help with this from other parents and organizations. How old is your son?The amount of Services available also depend on his age. Quality of services also varies a lot in different areas in Israel.
Is he in special ed or regular ed?
If you are satisfied with the help he getting where you are, then check out what is available her very carefully.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions