Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How are anti-gay and anti-Semitic comments different?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:31 pm
I always find myself agreeing with some things that are deemed anti-gay, such as laws or celebrities opinions, etc... but then I try to see it from the other perspective and I can't even defend myself (to myself.)

For example, a year or so ago that Duck Dynasty guy was fired and his show was cancelled because he was spouting his religious beliefs about homosexuality. He was the most hated man in America for doing so, but I was annoyed that it got that far. He was chosen to do the show with everyone knowing where he stood on religious issues but he was pushed and so he talked about it in an interview. Why did they have to cancel the show because of it? They're just his beliefs! (I never watched it and never cared to, but this is just an example)

On the other hand... If anyone were to say anything remotely as negative towards Jews or Israel, I'd demand for their head on a platter and their jobs and reputations to be tarnished.

Some could argue that they're both "religious beliefs" but I still feel so conflicted on the matter.

What are your thoughts?

marina

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:36 pm
I am impressed with your honesty and thoughtfulness.

marina

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:37 pm
I also think the whole Duck Dynasty thing was way overblown.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:57 pm
They're not.

chani8

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:10 am
I'm all for free speech as long as it doesn't incite violence.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:30 am
It depends how you're defining anti-gay.

If it's something like "gay people are bad people" - so that is like anti-semitism.

If it's something like "I think gay marriage is wrong," that's like if a Christian person said, "I think everyone should believe in J-sus." Like, obviously Jews don't agree, but it's not anti-semitic per se.

I think the difference is in "I think you're doing something wrong" statements vs. "I think you're a bad person" statements. I don't think people are anti-Semitic just for thinking Judaism isn't what G-d wants (if that were the case, something like 95% of Christians and Muslims would be anti-Semites), but it is anti-Semitic to say that Jewish people as a whole are bad or sneaky or greedy or whatever. Ditto for gay people.

etky

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 2:26 am
I think there is a difference bt. someone who is anti-gay and someone who opposes the objectives of the gay rights movement.
The former is closer to being an anti-semite, in terms of viewing a group of people as being inherently bad based on irrational stereotypes.
The latter may have legitimate reasons for disagreeing with propenents of gay rights w/o necessarily harboring ill will towards gays or attributing negative characteristics to them as individuals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics