Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Boring shabbos menu - need inspiration
1  2  Next

Catcher

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:07 am
I am getting really bored with our shabbos menu and need some ideas to mix it up and make it more interesting. Supper and lunch.

Invariably our Friday night menu is soup (veg or chicken), chicken, large green salad, kugel, pareve ice cream for dessert.

Lunch is cold meats, a couple of different salads, I.e. green salad/coleslaw/tabbouleh, cholent, pareve ice cream.

We almost always have guests so I'm looking for recipes that are different but also crowd-pleasers.

TIA

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:21 am
I do gefilta fish and dips (hummus, chatzilim, etc) with salad, then we have chicken and green beans. I make different sides and desserts each week.

sides
Roast baby potatoes with crushed garlic, onion and rosemary.
roast potatoes
rice with mushrooms.
plain rice
orzo with veggies
mushroom boreka
butternut squash souffle
stuffing
roast parsnips and/or sweet potatoes

desserts
(make double and freeze for another week so you don't need to bake each week)
brownies
brownies with mint frosting
sponge cake with berry sauce
choc chip cookies
blondies
lemon pie

I usually serve with ice cream and fresh fruit (melon or watermelon is most popular)

Catcher

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 5:12 am
Thanks raisin, sounds yummy. Could you perhaps post recipes for mushroom boreka, butternut souffle and lemon pie?

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 9:04 am
lemon pie

Mix together:
8 oz whip
1/2 c sugar
4 eggs
1/4 c lemon juice
Pour into 1 graham crust. Bake on 350f/180c for exactly 30 min.

you can freeze this. my sister in law likes to serve it almost frozen but I've never tried it that way.

Butternut Squash Kugel

Times
Prep Time : 5 min
Cook Time : 40 min
Ready Time : 45 min
Servings
Ingredients
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed or 2 1/2 cups peeled and cubed or pureed squash
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Maple Syrup (optional)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch round baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, place squash, eggs, flour and brown sugar and mix well.
Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Drizzle with a little maple syrup if desired.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, until set and edges are slightly golden. Serve warm or cold.
Tips
Also try baking this in a 9-inch frozen piecrust.

mushroom boreka - I use the mushroom turnover recipe from the spice and spirit but use puff pastry instead

sitting

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:54 am
How about som3 deli roll or meat pastry or borekas for shabb lunch. Pll also love ground turkey with houmas served on a platter. Roisotto is a hit for a crowd. For ur fri eve starter roast a clove of garlic to spread on challah its yum.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 11:03 am
I don't stick to any one menu ... I make what we're in the mood of or if someone special is coming something they would like ...

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 11:08 am
for shabbos lunch I like lots of salads and fish or cold cuts or cholent.

lfab

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:32 pm
An easy way to change it up is make different types of chicken. I usually make a few staples each week (fish, chicken, potato kugel) and then mix up the other sides. Some ideas to get you started:

rice
orzo
barley pilaf
carrot salad
potato salad
red potatoes
corn salad
pasta salad
cabbage salad
green beans
stir fry
roasted veggies
mushrooms
deli/meat roll
apple kugel
carrot kugel
noodle kugel
butternut squash kugel
potato kugel

This is what I can think of off the top of my head. For some of these I have 2 or 3 different variations so I'm not making the same ones over and over.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:30 pm
There are hundreds of yummy soups to make. My favorite Shabbat soups are: minestrone, shitake leek, kabocha lentil, carrot ginger, split pea with smoked turkey, Italian wedding soup.

Try some new salads and desserts: salads: Asian cole slaw, cucumber salad, salad with pears and pecans and sweet balsamic dressing, etc.

Desserts: try some new cookies, snicker doodles, oatmeal cherry, peanut butter, almond butter,
Etc.

Look through your cookbooks and I bet you will find some new ideas that interest you

PAMOM

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:44 pm
Ooh, can you post the recipe for shiitake leek soup?

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:48 pm
I base it off of this, http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....cipe/

I use onions, more mushrooms, and leave out the dill and parsley. I add soy sauce and use vegetable broth. I sometimes add bok choy or spinach leaves at the very end (they cook quickly) to give it some nice green color)

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:51 pm
sesame noodles or kasha and bowties can also replace a kugel and are yummy.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 1:54 pm
Thank you.

israelgirl

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 3:23 pm
I can post my Shab Menu this week? I tend to make a pretty classic/easy but yummy Shabbos (IMO Smile)
WW Challah
Gifillte Fish
Tilapia (DH really dislikes G Fish, I make it more for the kids...)
Tomato Dip
Chatzilim
Tehinna
Guacamole
Corn Salad
Jalapeno Dip
Fruity Purple Cabbage Salad
Ceasar Salad/Nish Nosh Salad
Chicken Soup
Onion Chicken from Quick and Kosher (soo good)
Quinoa with sautéed Vegi's
Glazed Green Beans
(I made two kugels I'll serve for Shabbos day as well-Sweet Potato Pie and Apple Cran Crisp)
Dessert (Usually fruit and Ice Cream as DH likes something light after the meal, and then I'll have a cake just for the house)

Shabbos Day
Same fish and dips
Cole Slaw
Eggs and liver
Chulent
Kishka
Deli/Deli Roll
Grilled Chicken Salad

Catcher

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 4:40 am
israelgirl, can you post your fruity purple cabbage salad please? Very Happy

mominey

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 4:03 pm
I always rotate my dishes. I never make the same chicken or sides two weeks in a row. Challa is the same and so is chulent but that's about it. I do make chicken soup more often then not but growing up every week was a different soup pea soup/ mushroom barley soup, etc and desserts, you won't see the same one by me more frequently than once every two months. It's not because I am so talented in the kitchen and have so much time to spare experimenting but because I will not touch the dish if I ate it the week before...! I can't handle the taste of it, I won't eat any...
I have the basics that I make but instead of being the basics for every week it's at least a month worth of basics- like hot dishes can be rice, couscous, potatos, potato kugel, etc. and cold can be apple kugel, pineapple kugel, lukshen kugel, etc. and desserts I do experiment with more and always look out for a good recipe. Salad I make on the spot with what I am in the mood to put in and Friday night salad will be coleslaw, cucumber salad, pepper salad, etc. (one each week). That's how it works by me so it never gets boring and I recommend switching off at least every other week so that you can feel excited about your shabbos dishes... Don't even ask about yom tov food though for that I have a whole additional list of menus that don't get repeated two yomtov's in a row, my husband can't understand how it's too boring to make potato knish kugel or chicken pastrami with puff pastry for RH if I just made it for Shavuos but somehow to me that is perfectly logical Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 8:59 pm
OP, There are lots of different recipes in each categories (soup, salads, chicken etc) and it would be impossible to list all potentials.

Just saying you can still serve chicken for Fri night but change flavourings/cooking method--cornflake crumb baked chicken, orange chicken, roasted chicken with lemon/fennel, garlic-paprika rub roast chicken, apricot chicken, curried chicken, stuffed breast/thigh with scallion/ginger, sticky BBQ drumsticks, stewed chicken, chicken with hawadj, chicken with silan and black pepper.

As for kugels, you can make different types--potato, sweetpotato, lokshen, savory lokshen, yerushalmi, broccoli, carrot, squash, zucchini, onion. Or use different starches like rice (plain, with browned vermicelli, with dill/peas, mushroom, carrots, saffron, with crunchy crust, with lentils, confetti).

We are not into cold cuts in general, so Shabbat first course tends to be dips/salatim and fish (fried, Moroccan fish balls, Moroccan fish, fish pakora, baked with pesto, teriyaki, escaveche, glavlax) or brown hamin eggs.

rednavy

Post Sat, Jan 31 2015, 10:23 pm
Good thread!

Sides:
Tomato-basil pasta
Cauliflower popcorn
Sesame broccoli
Quinoa patties
Scalloped potatoes
Carrot souffle
Sweet noodle kugel
Sweet potato pecan pie

Proteins:
Seasoned meatballs-you can make it with ground lamb or beef
Chicken schnitzel
Veal schnitzel
Salami-spinach quiche
Corned beef

naomi6

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 3:17 am
I for one look forward to Shabbos food never got bored of fresh homebaked challos fish jellied sauce golden chicken soup knaidlach noodles chicken kugel jerusalem potato kugel desert can be apple or pear compote mix in other fruits etc. You can make sweet and sour salmon put in different things in the soup like florettes from flaky dough-also different types of chicken and meat. Going away from the traditional meal takes away from the real Shabbos feeling

thankyou

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 5:29 am
Any chance for recipes for Quinoa patties and barley pilaf? tia!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus