Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Historical question about Hamodia and women's photos

anon for this

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:32 am
I've been reading about how Hamodia altered photos of the Paris march to delete an image of German Chancellor Angela Merkel. According to Wikipedia, Hamodia started publishing in 1950. There have been many occasions over the past decades when female world leaders and politicians made news. How did Hamodia handle this issue in the past? Did they print photos of Golda Meir when she was Prime Minister of Israel? Did they print photos of Margaret Thatcher when she was Prime Minister of the UK during the 80's? What about Indira Gandhi?

If they did print these photos in the past, when did their policy change?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:33 am
Did newspapers used to have so many photos in general?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:59 am
Can't tell you about Hamodia.
I can tell you I have seen chassidishe rebishe kallos in pics and movies broadcasted all around, bare faced or in clear veil, that I have seen old biographies of charedim with ladies - and some even had sleeves or skirts etc not fitting today standard.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:39 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

No. Until sometime in the 19th century, illustrations were etchings rather than photos.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 5:03 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Newspapers have long had photos, because photos sell papers. But visuals in general have become more important and taken up more newspaper "real estate" in recent years, perhaps because reading levels and attention spans have declined.

anon for this

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 6:14 pm
Thank you for all the responses. I don't read Hamodia, but I know that during the 1980's, when Thatcher was PM, newspapers such as the New York Times published photographs of various subjects including Thatcher. I agree that it seems there were fewer photos in newspapers then than in most papers today, but there were definitely photos of prominent people.

I rarely see sketches in most newspapers anymore, except for occasional courtroom scenes in which cameras aren't allowed. And of course there's the Wall Street Journal's iconic hedcuts, which are based on photos.

Can anyone who's familiar with Hamodia comment on whether Hamodia used to publish photographs of prominent people, including women?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 6:24 pm
I don't read Hamodia and know little of its history. Perhaps a Jewish library has digital or microfiche archives — that's where I'd suggest you look if nobody posting keeps ancient copies in their attic.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 7:16 pm
It was not Hamodia that altered the recent rally pic, it was Hamevaser.

Anon b/c I work there

anon for this

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
It was not Hamodia that altered the recent rally pic, it was Hamevaser.

Anon b/c I work there

Wow, I should've checked better. Thanks for the correction amother.

How long has Hamevaser been published? Has it ever published photos of women?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 8:11 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Newspapers have long had photos, because photos sell papers. But visuals in general have become more important and taken up more newspaper "real estate" in recent years, perhaps because reading levels and attention spans have declined.

I wrote "so many" -- as in, if they didn't have that many photos, maybe no one noticed if they opted out of certain ones because it was not the norm to include one with every article.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics