Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What to do with unexpressed milk when weaning?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:12 pm
This may sound like a silly question. I am in the process of weaning and have been pumping just enough to be comfortable. My milk production has slowed down noticeably by the third day to the point where I am full but no longer engorged and feel comfortable. I don't know what to do with the milk I still have. Does it need to be pumped out at some point or will it somehow dissipate? I realize at this early stage my body is still capable of continuing to produce milk so do I wait to pump and if so how long? Or does walking around with milk open me up to infection? If anyone has experience with this or has received advice from a dr or lactation consultant it would be very helpful. TIA

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:15 pm
See if you can donate it to a milk bank or hospital. I keep about 4oz frozen in case of pink eye, rashes etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:35 pm
You can always add it to your toddler's formula, milk, or mashed potatoes. There's no need to toss it, the nutrients are still there.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:41 pm
OP here. I think my subject line is misleading. I definitely have good uses for the expressed milk and your ideas are great but that's not my issue. I'm wondering what to do with the unexpressed milk? Does it need to be pumped or will it somehow disappear on it's own??

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:44 pm
I think OP meant the milk still inside her not what she already expressed. There is nothing to be done. This is the way your body learns to slow down and slowly stop production. Don't pump too much as that will tell your body to keep producing just pump if you get uncomfortable to prevent engorgement. And slowly your body will produce less and less till it stops.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics