Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
WWYD: "refrigerate after opening" seal loose

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 1:44 pm
Purchased a product quite some time ago and kept it in my pantry until needed. Now I took it out to use. The seal was a simple foil/paper thing over the mouth of the bottle under the cap - "lift n peel." It didn't seem to be quite glued all the way. The product smells usual, not "off" in any way. It does contain eggs, but one would imagine that rotten eggs would stink. It's not an amazing-smelling product anyway but doesn't smell any different than expected.

I had this problem only the seal was even worse with two other bottles of the same thing from a different brand. Those I threw out. Now I'm getting frustrated, plus I want it for recipes for this Shabbos and there is no more available. It's not the end of the world but I'm getting annoyed and wondering if it's safe to just use it anyway because it smells fine. I guess there's a chance I could have inadvertently loosened the seal while opening the cap, but the way it's shaped that seems a bit stretchy and it must have been loose anyway for that to happen.

WWYD?

It is for a dish that will be cooked at high temperature anyway.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 2:09 pm
seeker wrote:
Purchased a product quite some time ago and kept it in my pantry until needed. Now I took it out to use. The seal was a simple foil/paper thing over the mouth of the bottle under the cap - "lift n peel." It didn't seem to be quite glued all the way. The product smells usual, not "off" in any way. It does contain eggs, but one would imagine that rotten eggs would stink. It's not an amazing-smelling product anyway but doesn't smell any different than expected.

I had this problem only the seal was even worse with two other bottles of the same thing from a different brand. Those I threw out. Now I'm getting frustrated, plus I want it for recipes for this Shabbos and there is no more available. It's not the end of the world but I'm getting annoyed and wondering if it's safe to just use it anyway because it smells fine. I guess there's a chance I could have inadvertently loosened the seal while opening the cap, but the way it's shaped that seems a bit stretchy and it must have been loose anyway for that to happen.

WWYD?

It is for a dish that will be cooked at high temperature anyway.
It depends what it is.

What product is this?

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 2:23 pm
Pesach imitation mustard. My hunch is that it's fine but to be on the safe side I just invented an imitation and it's actually pretty similar Very Happy but I didn't measure what I did because I wasn't expecting it to work... Confused

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 2:30 pm
seeker wrote:
Pesach imitation mustard. My hunch is that it's fine but to be on the safe side I just invented an imitation and it's actually pretty similar Very Happy but I didn't measure what I did because I wasn't expecting it to work... Confused
It should be ok. It's a least worth a taste to see if it's ok.

Would love to hear what your own imitation was Smile

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 2:37 pm
DH tasted and said it tastes OK but his paranoid annoying wife worries about tasteless pathogens like botulism and stuff.

My imitation involved olive oil, mayo, vinegar, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt and honey. Or something like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen