Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Help please Can't find my social security card

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 12:09 am
How do I get a new one?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 12:27 am
http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 12:58 am
Thanks.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 3:34 pm
bring your birth certificate to the social security office & ask for a new one ... takes a couple of weeks via mail to receive

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 5:42 pm
greenfire wrote:
bring your birth certificate to the social security office & ask for a new one ... takes a couple of weeks via mail to receive

I'm a citizen but I wasn't born in the US.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:11 pm
You should have a certificate of birth abroad...that's what I have.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 11:05 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You should have a certificate of birth abroad...that's what I have.

They need to see that I'm American certificate of birth abroad doesn't help. I looked at the website that Amelia be Bedelia and it says that I need U.S. passport or certificate of naturalization. Where should I bring these documents to?

boysrus

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 11:43 pm
Go to your local social security office with your certificate of naturalization and aply for a new card. Maybe take your foreign birth certificate with you too, better too many documents than not enough documents...

miami85

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 12:05 am
Not sure if birth certificate is sufficient--especially if you are married (b/c you need something with your exact name), I remember this from when I had to get a new SSI card b/4 I got married. I think a passport works better. You can also use your drivers' license as a piece of ID--I think you need 2 and bring your marriage license as well--can't hurt. Go to your local Social Security office--if you're in NY, then there's one in downtown Brooklyn.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
They need to see that I'm American certificate of birth abroad doesn't help. I looked at the website that Amelia be Bedelia and it says that I need U.S. passport or certificate of naturalization. Where should I bring these documents to?

That is what it is! I was born in a different country and have a birth certificate from that, but since my parents are both American citizens, I got a Certificate of Birth Abroad from AMERICA to show I am indeed an American citizen.
I used that to get a driver's license recently since my passport had expired (and my SS card was also missing in our move!)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 9:56 am
miami85 wrote:
Not sure if birth certificate is sufficient--especially if you are married (b/c you need something with your exact name), I remember this from when I had to get a new SSI card b/4 I got married. I think a passport works better. You can also use your drivers' license as a piece of ID--I think you need 2 and bring your marriage license as well--can't hurt. Go to your local Social Security office--if you're in NY, then there's one in downtown Brooklyn.

A marriage license with a birth certificate should be sufficient to show you are who you are, not that every office worker (in my experience) has sufficient knowledge and understanding of what acceptable ID is .

anon for this

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 10:28 am
Go to www.socialsecurity.gov/locator and enter your zip code to find an office near you and the hours.

You can find answers to many of your questions on the site. I would not advise calling SSA unless you can't avoid it. I had to call them a few weeks ago and was on hold for over an hour.

jflower

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 10:54 am
My local Social Security office informed me that in Brooklyn the only office that processes SS card matters is at 154 Pierrepont St, Bklyn 11201. Hours are Mon - Fri 7 am to 4 pm.

I'm not sure if other cities also have a single designated office for Social Security card matters but I think it's a good idea to check the website before wasting time going to the wrong office.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics