Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
$400 budget, need advice!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:28 am
I'm due soon. My next oldest is 3. The only stroller I have right now is a Maclaren umbrella stroller that doesn't work for newborns. I plan to borrow or buy a used snap n go frame so I don't need a car stroller.

My thought has been that I would buy a used bugaboo chameleon or frog, since I can get one in budget. But maybe there's something else I should consider.

My preferences and intended use are:
- bassinet option
- ability to face either direction
- good customer service
- excellent wheels - I'll mostly use it on Shabbos in a neighborhood with uneven sidewalks and in the snow etc.
- comfy
- can hold my 3 year old on a boogie board

I don't need it to turn into a double. This is my last kid. I also don't care as much about the fold since I have a van and won't use it much in the car anyway. I am not interested in an Uppababy, new or used, after bad customer service experiences. I'd just get a new Citi Mini and buy the bassinet, but I'd rather have the option to face me.

Any ideas? Thank you!!

(Anon b/c I mentioned my family planning decision.)

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:32 am
Get last year's model, it's perfectly good. There is just a newer one in a different color choice.
EBay is a great source of savings on strollers.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:34 am
Iymnok wrote:
Get last year's model, it's perfectly good. There is just a newer one in a different color choice.
EBay is a great source of savings on strollers.

Last year's model of what?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:46 am
Of whenever stroller you decide is best. If it is a reputable brand with a good track history you don't need to worry about customer support.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 8:52 am
Iymnok wrote:
Of whenever stroller you decide is best. If it is a reputable brand with a good track history you don't need to worry about customer support.

I wish that were true. I had two dangerous malfunctions with my uppababy vista and since it was more than two years old, they fought me on replacing the parts. I don't anticipate keeping whatever I buy more than 3 years, but warranties are usually 2.

If I could get last year's bugaboo frog for $400 with accessories, I'd totally do that! But I don't think I can even on eBay. Thanks though!

Any other ideas?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:02 am
Craigslist. You can get used Bugaboos, sometimes even as low as $150.

imamom7

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:03 am
I'm not sure where you're located but on craigslist you can easily get a used bugaboo for under $400- but I hate the bugaboo boogie board- it's akward and difficult to push- also I cant imagine you'll have customer service if you're not the original buyer ( they asked me where and when I bought it and checked the number...)

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:11 am
I got last years model of Citi Versa with the converter piece for car seat so no need for snap n go. I also made an amazon mom registry which gave me 15% off. I got a $400 stroller for under $200. In fact, I made all my big purchases that way. The discount is only valid for one purchase though (you can have everything you need on that one purchase but it's a one time discount).

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
I got last years model of Citi Versa with the converter piece for car seat so no need for snap n go. I also made an amazon mom registry which gave me 15% off. I got a $400 stroller for under $200. In fact, I made all my big purchases that way. The discount is only valid for one purchase though (you can have everything you need on that one purchase but it's a one time discount).

Wow, thanks! I'd never heard of this stroller before but it sounds perfect. And the 2013 is on amazon for just over $200 so I could get the bassinet.

Are you very happy with the stroller overall?

imamom7

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:51 am
Just saw someone selling bugaboo chameleon with buggy board and 2 canopies and seat liner for $450 or best offer- if you're interested email SYparentsXchange@gmail.com for pictures and info or look at their instagram page

musicmom

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 11:25 am
baby jogger city select on cl

rb10d

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 11:32 am
I second the city versa, you can even get a gt wheel kit (amazing wheels) from baby jogger for $60 and that would still bring your total cost well under $400

smss

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 11:54 am
I LOVE the versa...I don't have it but I've seen it in action and totally want it.
with GT wheels sounds like the best of pretty much all worlds.

luppamom

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 1:09 pm
I have the Versa. I don't love it, but definitely like it. It's around 215 and the bassinet is around 150, so that fits your budget. What I don't like is that it's heavy and doesn't have the easiest fold (although, much easier than a lot of things from what I've heard, just not as easy as the City Mini which most my friends have) the sun visor is also constantly coming off. It pushes very smoothly and my baby looks comfortable. It's nice b/c the seat goes very forward and you can see out of it well, unlike the mini. It's good even for an older baby. I put a 2.5 yr. old in it and he looked pretty comfy, but the canopy was off (not sure what it would be like w/ canopy). I also like that there is a handbreak and the handle is adjustable. Great for couples w/ big height difference also good if your 2.5 yr. old likes to push the stroller. You can actually make the handle his height and he can see.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics