Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Detroit Kollel!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 9:59 pm
Hi! We are looking into moving to an OOT community and joining a Kollel. Detroit may be a possibility. Do you have information regarding aspects of the community specifically:

Atmosphere

Diversity

Schools- both elementary and high school

Grocery/shopping- prices and availability of kosher products (We also eat Chalav Stam)

Job opportunities in regard to special education/education

Kollel pay per year and benefits (such as reduced housing if applicable and so on)

Thank you so much!

(We are looking into other communities as well and I will start a different thread with the same questions)

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:12 pm
I live here and could answer some of the questions but not all. There is a nice size frum community. The schools are Beis Yaacov,/Beis Yehudah, Yeshiva Gedolah, Darchei Torah, The Lubavitcher Cheder and Mesivta, Akiva, and I think there is another Mesivta in West Bloomfield.
The ladies here are active in the Women's Orthodox League and we raise money for the mikveh as well as many opportunities to volunteer.
There are several area restaurants, a couple of seforim stores, numerous home businesses, a kosher supermarket, paper goods store, etc.
Housing is cheap and there are neighborhoods that are almost entirely frum as well as playgrounds with many frum kids. The JCC has ladies swim sessions but may close due to financial difficulties.
Jobs are not particularly plentiful and I don't know what is available for special ed or what kollel pays. There is a beautiful kollel, however.
Oak Park has numerous shuls of all types.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:24 pm
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Smile
Do you know the tuition costs of the elementary schools?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:27 pm
They are reasonable about working things out but I don't know what each school charges.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:28 pm
Is there a website with contact information regarding joining the Kollel?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:31 pm
I don't think so. You can call them @ 248-968-1891

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:32 pm
Btw, there are 2, maybe 3 kollels here.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:32 pm
Wow thank you! You have been so helpful Smile

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Btw, there are 2, maybe 3 kollels here.

Oh I did not know that! What are the differences between each? Are they based upon locations or hashkafah? Do you have contact information for them?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 01 2015, 10:36 pm
Let me know if you end up coming Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
Oh I did not know that! What are the differences between each? Are they based upon locations or hashkafah? Do you have contact information for them?

The number given was for the Lakewood kollel. There is also the Yeshiva Gedola kollel, which usually gets YG alumni.
Other kollelim include the Bais Yehuda kollel (which would probably mean having to send your kids to YBY); a new kollel affiliated with Rabbi Yisrael Menachem Levin's shul, and a kollel connected to a local business, where the kolleleit work a few months a year, learn the rest of the year (and there's a rigorous entry test, and possibly having to send to a certain school).

These kollelim may be open to new yungeleit. Do you have anyone to advise you locally? In BMG there are people who do placement. Your husband's rosh chabura, or someone he's close to should be able to give him hadracha and maybe put in a good word for him somewhere.

All the kollelim seem to have real bnei aliya, yeshivish and pretty warm, real people. They're all within a mile of each other, location should not be the deciding issue. I have no idea how much they pay.

BeingBee

Post Mon, Feb 02 2015, 10:29 am
South Bend is a much smaller community with less amenities - but they are looking for new members for the kollel.

Paying Kollels OOT are very competitive to get into and the process can be very drawn out and exhausting.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating