Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Grammar Help

acemom

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 12:14 pm
How would you word this:

Everything needs a SKU number...

or

Everything needs an SKU number...

Maybe the more important question is: How do you prounounce SKU? Is it "ess-kay-yoo" or "skew"...

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 12:15 pm
a Sku number.

And it's "skew"

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 12:18 pm
It's an acronym, and as such, is pronounced "ess-kay-you" and it would be "an SKU number."

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 1:11 pm
According to this website, it is pronounced "Skew" and therefore requires "a" before it. "A skew number."

http://techterms.com/definition/sku

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 2:22 pm
Huh. Guess it can go either way.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.c.....lisms

Basically, if it's not too difficult to pronounce as a word, like gif or nasa or I guess sku, it's pronounced as a word. But if it would sound terrible, like FBI or FYI then you just use letters.

acemom

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 7:05 pm
I am asking this because I would like to hear what sounds more "grammatically correct".

I am helping someone edit instructions for something and there was no constant article used. I assume the original writer also wasn't sure.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 7:21 pm
With things like this that can swing either way, it comes down to how it feels to you personally when you say it aloud. Personally when I hear "skew number" spoken aloud it makes me cringe so I go with "SKU number." There isn't always one hard and fast rule, especially with this kind of thing.

There are heated arguments on the internet about the correct way to pronounce "gif" for example. People argue that it should be "gif" with a soft "g" since it stands for "graphics interchange format." But others argue for "jif" with a hard g because it sounds better, and because the creator of the word "gif" pronounced it "jif." In the end, it can be pronounced both ways.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 7:25 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S....._unit

Hey, according to wikipedia it can be pronounced THREE ways, the third being "skoo."

Here's what I conclude: when I speak, I would say "an SKU number." When I write, I would write "a SKU number."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics