Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
8 month old suddenly refuses to take a bottle!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 8:08 pm
I usually breastfeed, and feed him 1 bottle a day (of pumped milk) before bedtime. I also leave bottles when I leave him with a babysitter, occasionally.
But suddenly, around 3 days ago, for no apparent reason, he absolutely refuses to drink from a bottle! He won't let it get near his mouth!
He is nursing just fine, it's only the bottle that he refuses.
Any ideas what it might be, and how I can help him?

nyc123

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 9:42 pm
Mine did the same thing when she was around 8 months! I pump at work so she takes those bottles during the day while I'm away, and then I nurse her when I'm back. But when she was around 8 months she started refusing the bottle ..the day care thought that it was because now she's eating foods too and likes it better than the milk, but she nursed without hesitation when I was with her so I knew that couldn't be it. I really think it had to do with her teething, that maybe the bottle nipples (we tried different brands) were less comfortable for her. She ended up taking the bottles again, sometimes with a little extra force, but even now that she's almost 10 months she takes much less from the bottle than she used to, but nurses frequently. I wouldn't worry!

Check for sores in the mouth/on the palate though, it could also be that the bottle is painful because of something like coxsackie.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Feb 03 2015, 9:51 pm
I had that and then realized that when the nipple was washed, the hole got ripped and the milk was pouring into the baby's mouth too fast. After I switched nipples the baby took the bottle fine again.

mandr

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 1:07 am
Is the milk in the bottle from the freezer? Freshly pumped?

Try tasting the milk you put into the bottle. It might be affected with excess lipase, causing it to taste disgusting (but is safe to eat if your baby wants it).

pause

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 1:13 am
Yes, babies tend to do that. From one day to the next. Had it with a pacifier. I know others who've had it with a bottle.

Not much to do about it except figure out something else instead.

chani8

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 1:28 am
There could be several reasons for pushing the bottle away. The nipple may be broke. The baby wasn't hungry when offered it. Or baby just wants food instead of a bottle. By this age, I'd offer food. I find that babies that like to eat food, only drink a maximum 4 bottles a day.

luppamom

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:35 am
I'd definitely try a different bottle. But, what about a sippy cup? Does your baby like them? Maybe try putting the breastmilk inside of it and seeing if the baby likes it better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics