Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Please help me cook my first roast

Catcher

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 7:53 am
I have never prepared a roast beef before mainly because where I live it is prohibitively expensive and I am terrified of screwing it up. A lot of money down the drain etc. I would love to make one for a friday night shabbos meal, and I need a very basic recipe for a pretty insecure cook who used to be a vegetarian.

TIA!

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:07 am
Pre-heat oven to 400F. I am assuming a five pound roast more or less.

Put several generous larges piece of metal foil in a roasting pan, going in both directions at right angles.

Throw some powdered spices onto the bottom of the pan: garlic, onion powder are the basics, maybe some green herbs. No salt.

Pat roast dry with paper towel. Place roast on the foil. Throw some more spices, the same ones, on top of it. Wrap the roast closely in the metal foil.

Put the pan in middle rack of oven and come back three hours later. Don't open the oven during this time. Don't leave the house during this time.

At three hours, take roast out to cool, keeping it still wrapped in the foil.

Eats nicely hot. It is also good cold with mustard or mayonnaise or plain. Store it wrapped in the metal foil.

Do a lot of hand-washing and washing of faucets, utensils, and surfaces: raw meat juices can make problems.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:40 am
OP, can you tell us exactly what cut of roast you are using? Some are more suited for slow roasting with liquid (eg pot roast), whereas the others (eg top rib) is more suitable for dry roasting. If you're opting for dry-roasting, I strongly suggest you get a meat thermometer as each roast cooks differently depending on size and oven. Another golden rule is let the meat rest for 30min before you slice.

morah

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:51 am
If you want to be absolutely sure you won't mess up, invest in a meat thermometer. They're about $20 and will ensure they reach the correct temperature- 145F for medium rare, which is where you want an expensive cut. Well done will ruin it. Also, the meat needs to rest when it comes out of the oven, and it continues cooking for a few minutes so you actually want to remove it a little before it reaches 145. You do want to keep an eye on it the last 15-20 minutes in the oven. You can always cook it more if it's a little under done, but you can't uncook it if it's overdone. Otherwise, it is actually really simple, you either rub it with a dry rub or marinade, stick in a roasting pan with a rack and a bit of liquid at the bottom, and leave it alone till it's near the end. Some hold you should sear it before putting it in, but you can skip that and it will be just as delicious.

asp40

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:55 am
Do you have a slow cooker and will it fit in that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics