Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Happy with your 30" freestanding or slide-in gas range?

Mevater

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:33 pm
The last few people I spoke to, all hate their recently bought gas ranges. Anyone like theirs?

If yes, which is it? (Brand and Model # please)

Last edited by Mevater on Wed, Feb 04 2015, 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommyla

Post Wed, Feb 04 2015, 8:38 pm
Love my GE gas range. This one: http://products.geappliances.c.....SEFSS

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 12:31 am
mommyla wrote:
Love my GE gas range. This one: http://products.geappliances.c.....SEFSS

Thanks! It looks good! and GE is one of the best brands of Gas Ranges as far as frequency of repair, according to Consumer Reports, see chart.

How is it as far as Shabbos and Yom Tov, any issues?

Anyone else like their 30" gas range? Any slide-ins?

Ive been told the only benefit of the slide-in style over the freestanding, is the look, it doesnt cover any of the backsplash. Any other differences?

Sanguine

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 3:54 am
I HATE my GE range. (I have no idea what a slide in but mine looks like the GE that mommyla posted). I'm in Israel but mine is basically the same GE that my mother has in America.

(First BTW - I bought mine a few years ago slightly used from a woman in Beitar Ilit who had it posted on the RBS email list. Are you here on Imamother? that would be funny)

Why I hate it.
1- The insulation of the oven is poor so it takes longer to cook things. I've seen ovens that you shut off before Shabbat and your food stays warm till you eat. Not this one!! My sister has the same oven and she hates hers too for the same reason. She claims it's impossible to get a potato kugel to fully cook.

2- It takes forever to boil a pot of water (or anything). Now Israeli gas isn't the same as American so I thought that was the problem, or maybe the flame wasn't high enough and just needs cleaning. So then I went to look at my neighbor's stove and saw something interesting. Her flame isn't any bigger but her grates aren't as tall so the pot sits more directly on the flame. These grates are so tall that you're not getting as much direct heat. It's a big ptroblem.

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 9:23 am
No one else out there who is happy enough with their 30" gas range that they'd recommend it to others? I hope not.

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 10:05 am
Mevater wrote:
No one else out there who is happy enough with their 30" gas range that they'd recommend it to others? I hope not.

I love mine

http://products.geappliances.c.....SETSS

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 10:32 am
The Shabbos mode is good on mine, but it took me a couple of tries to figure it out. I like to have mine turn off on Shabbos instead of staying on, and there were no instructions in the manual for how to do that.

I don't know if mine is the same as Sanguine's but it cooks everything just fine. It also has a larger burner with a "quick boil" setting that really does work quickly.

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 10:40 am
mommyla wrote:
The Shabbos mode is good on mine, but it took me a couple of tries to figure it out. I like to have mine turn off on Shabbos instead of staying on, and there were no instructions in the manual for how to do that.

I don't know if mine is the same as Sanguine's but it cooks everything just fine. It also has a larger burner with a "quick boil" setting that really does work quickly.

Right.

At least on mine, the different burners have different powers. If you try to boil a large pot of water on the low power, back right burner, you could wait forever. High power front left? Fast. Food cooks just fine in the oven. And I set the oven to stay on for a couple of hours into Shabbat.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 11:34 am
I loved my GE range I bought a bit over 3 years ago, but I moved and didn't take it with me. I have heard some of the recent models had an issue with the Shabbos mode that they were working on correcting.

My mother recently got a Samsung that I would have bought too had it not been so expensive to run a gas line to my kitchen.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 12:11 pm
So I lose the GE vote Sad . Does anyone want to buy my used one?? It's a great range (Just read the raving reviews here Wink )

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 12:50 pm
Six GE ovens, with list prices between 1100 and 2300, all Sabbath mode, and almost identical. Most arent rated by Amazon, so I dont really have a basis for comparison. How does anyone decide?

http://products.geappliances.c.....&

How do you decide on an oven with very little ratings out there?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 2:12 pm
Yours seems like it would be an older model, Sanguine!

Mevater, call an appliance store....that's what I did to double check about purchasing appliances that I was getting what I needed.

Mevater

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 3:08 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Mevater, call an appliance store....that's what I did to double check about purchasing appliances that I was getting what I needed.

Hahaha. Ive done sales of high ticket items and was told to not be all that honest and push what the boss made the biggest profit on at the time. ; - /

By the time I call an appliance store (often appliance stores will recommend different models based on what they got a good deal on lately), I want to have crossed all "T"s and dotted all "I"s and will only inquire about the best price on the 2 -3 appliances that Ive narrowed it down to.

My focus now is on Samsung NX58H9500WS , thats being suggested by Consumer Reports, and is quite highly rated on Home Depot.

I just located this from Consumer Reports, and I usually dont go wrong when buying a top pick from Consumer Reports.

http://www.consumerreports.org.....x.htm

Kitchen ranges
Cooktops & ovens
Cooking with gas has its fans. They’ll rave about how the flame makes it easier to judge the heat, and how quickly you can adjust the heat from high to low. And while owners of electric ranges are out of luck when a storm hits and power’s out, most gas range fans can strike a match to light the burners, then eat dinner by candlelight. Not bad. The cooking appliance experts at Consumer Reports tested dozens of gas ranges. Here’s a glimpse at some of our single oven top picks.

Samsung NX58F5700WS, $1, 600
Here’s the deal: This top-rated gas range is stylish and unlike most gas ranges tested offers fast cooktop heat and superb baking. Even broiling was impressive—not something most gas ranges do well.
Need to know: Five burners, including two high power. The oven is large and has gliding oven racks and a convection feature that can trim cooking time for some foods. There’s a warming drawer below.

Samsung NX58H9500WS
Samsung NX58H9500WS, $2,000
Here’s the deal: It's a slide-in range so the knobs are up front and there isn’t a back panel, giving it a stylish, built-in look. This range offers super simmering and impressive baking, broiling, and self-cleaning.
Need to know: There are five burners; two are high power and deliver fast heat. The oven is big and has convection and a temperature probe. And the warming drawer comes in handy when hosting parties or keeping dinner warm for teens who straggle in.

LG LRG3095ST, $1,500
Here’s the deal: The best had faster cooktop heating, but this LG offers superb simmering and its large oven was very good at broiling and turning out evenly browned cakes and cookies.
Consider this: Like most gas ranges this model was only so-so in our tough oven self-cleaning tests.
Need to know: Five burners, including two high-power, and a convection option.

Frigidaire Gallery FGGF3032MW
Frigidaire Gallery FGGF3032MW, $700
Here’s the deal: This CR Best Buy isn’t a showpiece but it’s superb at simmering and impressive at baking. It comes in a stainless steel finish.
Consider this: Cooktop heat wasn’t as fast as the top picks and broiling and self-cleaning were so-so.
Need to know: Five burners, two are high-power. The oven has convection and a temperature probe for gauging doneness.

Samsung NX58F5500SS, $900
Here’s the deal: It performed similarly to the Frigidaire but has a larger oven.
Need to know: There are five burners, including two high power. No convection, but you can get it in stainless.

Kenmore 74132, $700
Here’s the deal: Fast cooktop heat and impressive simmering. Baking was very good, and it was one of the few gas ranges to ace our self-cleaning tests.
Consider this: Like most gas models broiling was mediocre.
Need to know: Available in stainless, but no convection. Two of the five burners are high power.

The worst gas range we tested was the $1,700 KitchenAid Architect Series KGRS807SSS–it scored 31 out of 100—and was unable to simmer tomato sauce on the largest burner set to low. Check our range Ratings to see how the top picks compare to other ranges in our tests. You’ll find a compare-model tool, user reviews, and brand reliability data to help you choose.

Leahh

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 3:31 pm
I called an appliance store and spoke to one saleslady. Someone told me she had a good experience with a different saleslady from the same store so I called and spoke to her (I checked that they are not commision based first). That's how I started my list. Then I called around to 3 or 4 other stores and asked what they recommend and how does it compare to the others on my list. When I narrowed it down to 2 or 3 that they all recommended I went based on extra features that I liked and price. I also ended up buying from the store that gave me the best deal.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 8:05 pm
I meant to call with your couple of options, not to ask them blindly Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 8:06 pm
My parents have a Samsung freestanding that is very highly rated and they really like, so I assume the slide-in would be also top quality.

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 05 2015, 8:15 pm
Call Town Appliance in Lakewood. I think their number is 732-364-5195 but I could be wrong. They'll be honest with you and they're very helpful, especially if you have it narrowed down to a few choices.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars