Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Riding with a child
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Barbara

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 12:54 pm
Glad to hear he's doing well, and sending wishes that he recovers quickly.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:04 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I’m back. Just talked to my husband. We worked out the possibilities and he’s going to bring him home. He feels comfortable with the options I gave him and I feel so much better because I couldn’t handle worrying about my kid on his own, even though he’s a teenager and generally very capable.

Thank you all so much. I’m really grateful to all of you for your responses.

I was going to see that this isn't even a question for a Rav, but rather the hospital. Your son is a child and if is very likely that they wknt discharge him without a parent/guardian present. I say this because I work in a children's hospital and we don't discharge children (including teens, who are legally children) alone. So it's a good thing that your husband will be with him. Alternately, if you live in an area with jewish population this is provably something they encounter all the time and can/will discharge him in the evening, once Shabbos is over

Clarissa

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 2:09 pm
Thanks, all, for the thoughtful and helpful replies.

I just got an email from them -- the hospital is releasing him early! He’ll be home before Shabbos, as soon as all the paperwork is taken care of. We weren’t expecting that but are really happy.

I really appreciate all the great advice. For obvious reasons, my husband doesn’t follow my wisdom in terms of halacha. Cool But I told him all of the good ideas and thoughts shared by you guys.

Now, since we’re talking, should I vaccinate....? (JUST KIDDING!)

youngishbear

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 2:14 pm
Just noticed this thread. Refuah sheleima to your son! I'm so glad he's coming home, and sparing you shabbos shailos.

And please, do NOT vaccinate your son right after surgery.

On the other hand, WHY IN HEAVENS NAME didn't you vaccinate him in all the years till now??

Do keep him away from nonvaxxers. And those who have strept or bronchitis or the flu. Or those recently vaccinated with live vaccines.

Feeling beat up

OK, I shall leave the medical lectures to your doctor. Have a wonderful shabbos.

Shabbos hi melizoik, refuah sheleimah.

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 2:42 pm
youngishbear wrote:
melizoik

I'm not getting this word ... please clarify

youngishbear

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 2:48 pm
greenfire wrote:
I'm not getting this word ... please clarify

It's part of the possuk I quoted, which means Shabbos brings healing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQM_2mAlhyM

Couldn't find a clip, it's just the song.

sneakermom

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 3:07 pm
Refuah Sheleima. Hope you all have a restful Shabbos!!

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 3:23 pm
youngishbear wrote:
It's part of the possuk I quoted, which means Shabbos brings healing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQM_2mAlhyM

Couldn't find a clip, it's just the song.

I'm still not getting that particular word ... but it's a nice song to listen to

youngishbear

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 3:25 pm
So sorry I don't know where the possuk is from, can't even look up the spelling. I honestly only know it from this song.

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 4:30 pm
the weird part is that it sounds like yiddish in the middle of the hebrew ... shabbos hu mir zukt refuah shalaima kerova ... oysh it's driving mir meshuga ...

youngishbear

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 4:44 pm
greenfire wrote:
the weird part is that it sounds like yiddish in the middle of the hebrew ... shabbos hu mir zukt refuah shalaima kerova ... oysh it's driving mir meshuga ...

שבת הוא מלזעוק
Or however it spells.

Oy someone help me out here??

jflower

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 4:55 pm
I'm so glad your son will be home for Shabbos. That's great news. Wishing him a refuah shelaima & hope you all get some rest over Shabbos.

JMM-uc

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 11:36 am
youngishbear wrote:
שבת הוא מלזעוק
Or however it spells.

Almost.
It's היא not הוא.
Refuah shleima to your son Clarissa!

imasoftov

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 12:17 pm
youngishbear wrote:
שבת הוא מלזעוק
Or however it spells.

תנו רבנן: הנכנס לבקר את החולה אומר: שבת היא מלזעוק, ורפואה קרובה לבא תלמוד
בבלי מסכת שבת דף יב עמוד א

The Rabbis taught: one who goes to visit a sick person (on Shabbat) says "It is Shabbat, so one may not cry out, and recovery will come soon.

The phrase is inserted to the mi-shebeirach for the sick on Shabbat
http://www.orot.ac.il/publicat......aspx

Clarissa

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 7:44 pm
imasoftov wrote:
תנו רבנן: הנכנס לבקר את החולה אומר: שבת היא מלזעוק, ורפואה קרובה לבא תלמוד
בבלי מסכת שבת דף יב עמוד א

The Rabbis taught: one who goes to visit a sick person (on Shabbat) says "It is Shabbat, so one may not cry out, and recovery will come soon.

The phrase is inserted to the mi-shebeirach for the sick on Shabbat
http://www.orot.ac.il/publicat......aspx
Wait, I can’t read that. Is the meaning that it’s okay to ride to visit a sick person on Shabbat?

Thank you for the good wishes, everyone. He got home a little while before Shabbos. My husband had been with him and the hospital the whole time so I was happy to have us all together for a quiet meal and a restful Shabbos. Appendectomies are pretty minor these days and he’s doing nicely, just some pain but nothing terrible.

I appreciate the information and good wishes.

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 9:10 pm
Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chayim 287:

יכולים לנחם אבלים בשבת וכן יכולים לבקר את החולה ולא יאמר לו כדרך שאומר לו בחול אלא אומר לו שבת היא מלזעוק ורפואה קרובה לבא ורחמיו מרובים ושבתו בשלום הגה וי״א דאין צריך לומר ורחמיו מרובים וכו׳ וכן נהגו.‏

One may console mourners on Shabas, and one may likewise visit the sick. But he should not say to him as he does on a weekday, telling him rather "It is Shabas, preventing crying out; healing is soon to come; His mercies are great; spend Shabas in peace". Hagaha: But some say it's unnecessary to say "His mercies are great", etc., and [omitting it] is the custom.

Indeed, the prevalent custom when wishing sick people well on Shabas is to say "שבת היא מלזעוק ורפואה קרובה לבא / It is Shabas, preventing crying out; healing is soon to come", as prescribed.

Mishna B'rura comments on "כדרך שאומר לו בחול / as he does on a weekday":

דמצטער ומעורר הבכי דאסור בשבת.‏ / for he feels pain and arouses crying, which is forbidden on Shabas.

What does "שבת היא מלזעוק / It is Shabas, preventing crying out" refer to? Specifically: Who is meant as being prevented from crying out? (The patient? The visitor?) And what sort of crying out is meant? (Crying out in anguish? in prayer?)

"It is a resting day of praying for personal needs (and that's why we are not praying for you) but we bless you that a healing is soon to come". That is why the Chabad custom is to say שבת היא מלזעוק on Yom Tov as well as opposed to יום טוב הוא מלזעוק. If the patient is dangerously ill then direct praying is allowed on Shabbos and Yom Tov.

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 9:12 pm
there we go - a lot of us went to find out what exactly the term malzuik means ... in your son's honour

so clarissa ~ I hope your son had a restful shabbos with brochas leading to a refuah shelaima - now that it's motzei shabbos

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 3:47 am
greenfire wrote:
there we go - a lot of us went to find out what exactly the term malzuik means ... in your son's honour

so clarissa ~ I hope your son had a restful shabbos with brochas leading to a refuah shelaima - now that it's motzei shabbos

לזעוק means "to shout". The mem is a prefix meaning "from" and it's sort of an odd usage that "from to shout" means "we don't shout" but it sort of makes sense.

animeme

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 7:40 am
How's he doing?

So glad he got home before Shabbos for his sake (home earlier) and all of the family's (less stress).

Clarissa

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 7:00 pm
Thanks for asking. He’s home and doing fine. Taking painkillers but well enough to return to school tomorrow. I was in the hospital in early January so I’m thinking we should get a family discount. But we’re all good. Thanks for asking, and thanks for the advice and support, everyone!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics