Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Info needed-Unstuffed cabbage for shabbos day

mommee

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 10:47 am
Has anyone made unstuffed cabbage for shabbos day?
Was it on a blech? In a crockpot?
Did it come out good?
(I'm not in the mood for cholent... Wink )

mommee

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:28 pm
Anyone? Please?

Mevater

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 6:02 pm
Oooooooooh! That sounds delicious for a change.

I searched and found a crockpot recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/slo.....26509

Im thinking that this recipe says 8 hours on low, but if youd fill the crockpot with a few cups of water, scrunch up three or four tough balls of silver foil, and place them in the bottom of the crockpot, so contents above wouldnt get that close to bottom of crockpot and source of heat, and THEN line the crockpot with a layer of parchment paper, and put in all ingredients, leaving it in until Shabbos lunch would probably not burn it.

Ive never done this, but Im tempted to try.

mommee

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 7:16 pm
Thanks...I had also found some crockpot recipes but as you pointed out, they were all for shorter time frames. I did not think to try it the way you suggested. I did it on the blech. It came out tasting ok but it looked horrendously un-appetizing, so much so that I wouldn't do it again that way. (it had puddles of oil floating in it on top even though I used extra lean chopped meat. ugh.)

Soooo, I'm still interested in hearing any ways it may work out well Smile or any cholent alternative recipes that are good for shabbos day and tried and true.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:03 pm
mommee wrote:
Thanks...I had also found some crockpot recipes but as you pointed out, they were all for shorter time frames. I did not think to try it the way you suggested. I did it on the blech. It came out tasting ok but it looked horrendously un-appetizing, so much so that I wouldn't do it again that way. (it had puddles of oil floating in it on top even though I used extra lean chopped meat. ugh.)

Soooo, I'm still interested in hearing any ways it may work out well Smile or any cholent alternative recipes that are good for shabbos day and tried and true.

When I make unstuffed cabbage, I divide the meat/rice mixture into a few neat loaves, place on top of a bed of shredded cabbage, and pour sauce over everything.

I personally don't like most dishes cooked that long so I do not make for shabbos day in the crockpot, but I if you want it to look more appetizing you can do as above.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen