Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Urgent- need bread for shabbos

mommyofboygirls

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 12:30 pm
My challah for this shabbos is completely ruined. I don't have time to make a yeast bread for tonight and the store is out of frozen rhodes rolls...no pas yisrael bakery around.

What can I make that will be done quickly that we can make hamotzi on?

sheep

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 12:31 pm
I made this last wk same issue http://www.food.com/recipe/sup.....40492

sheep

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 12:32 pm
just m ix it and bake it. comes out better if risen but still quie edible

notme

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 12:55 pm
Is matzah available in any of the grocery stores?

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 12:56 pm
when I ran out of bread this week I made a pizza dough & pan fried rolled out pieces with olive oil & spices ... quick & yumm !!!

monseychick

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 12:59 pm
Another vote for Matza

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:02 pm
Soda bread? Rises with baking powder and baking soda.

If you have any pancake mix around, look at that. But it might be OU -D.

You might google "Dinner rolls"

-----------------------------------
This is done in half an hour:

3 cups (390 grams) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon (15 grams) granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (360 ml) water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add most of the water. Using one hand, or a wooden spoon, mix until you have a soft, moist dough.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough into a 7 - 8 inch (18 - 23 cm) round. Cut this circle into 6 triangular sections. Place the scones on your prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with a little extra water and then dust with a little flour. This gives the baked scones a wonderful floury brown crust.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Test by tapping the bottom of a scone - it should sound hollow. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. These scones are best served warm from the oven with a little butter and jam.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/Iri.....QMMVl

mille

Post Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:07 pm
It might be late, OP, not sure if you are still out of bread! If you have beer on hand -- I've made beer bread when I really need some bread quick. It's also pretty delicious, especially with honey!

Here's a recipe I've used before: http://cookiemonstercooking.co.....tter/

If you bake it in small tins (I use very well greased ramekins and make little rolls), it definitely doesn't take an hour to bake. I don't top it with butter or margarine or anything, and I use all regular flour no bread flour.

mommyofboygirls

Post Sat, Feb 07 2015, 6:22 pm
Thanks everyone. I don't know how I forgot about matzah. Guess it was a panic thing. Matzah, duh. I clicked on sheep's link and first and made a white flour version of those because I was out whole wheat flour. I made up some everything bagel topping and rolled the rolls in that and they turned out great. DH requested them for next shabbos, but I think I'll add some whole wheat flour and two rises, less yeast to make up for two rises.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads