Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
New York vs New Jersey - Any major differences?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 12:55 pm
We live in NY, bordering Jersey and we're looking to move (Monsey area). We can technically move into New Jersey and stay within "our neighborhood".

Are there any major differences between NY and NJ?

Honestly I'm not sure what I'm asking. I guess I want to know if there's anything I need to know before moving out of state.

Thanks

studying_torah

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:00 pm
Property taxes in nj are rediculously high

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:06 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Property taxes in nj are rediculously high

And I thought Monsey taxes are ridiculously high...

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:14 pm
If any of your kids get services (early intervention and such) , you should stay in NY.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 1:15 pm
Might want to find out if you'll still be eligible for free busing if you're moving to NJ but sending to school in NY. Also if your kids are on family health plus you should make sure you'll be eligible for Jersey care, the rules are different ,it's easier to qualify in NY I believe.

BrachaBatya

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 12:29 am
You already know this one, but in NJ the gas is cheaper and they pump it for you by law!!! : )

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 1:00 am
Lower sales tax.
No tax on clothing.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 7:41 am
Thanks everyone. Little perks like shopping and gas are great, but they're not deal breakers. I'm asking more about the actual move, big changes or differences - laws, healthcare changes, property tax, and other major stuff. As I said, we live close to the border, so the small stuff don't matter as much.
Thanks

momX4

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:51 am
If you have kids in school it may be a big deal. Call the district and ask. They may not give your dc school books, pre-k program, transportation, early intervention...

About insurance, I have health care privately. I use nj doctors alot. I kniw people that have fidelis in Monsey cant use any NJ doctorsand have to schlep to manhateen or Westchester.

momX4

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:52 am
DrMom wrote:
Lower sales tax.
No tax on clothing.

Anyone living in Monsey can go to Nj and shop

mille

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 10:06 am
The "NJ side" south of Monsey is in Bergen County. Bergen County has blue laws, no retail operation can be open on Sundays. Grocery stores and restaurants are open, but everything else is closed. If you are really that close to Monsey though, that shouldn't be a problem, you just need to go into NY on Sundays to do anything.

Bergen County also has really high taxes compared to other counties in NJ.

questioner

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:25 am
NJ state income tax is much lower than NYs, but if your job is in NY you will end up paying the NY rate anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating