Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Taking Infant out in the Cold

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 5:24 pm
B"H we have a 1 month old baby and have just moved from a warm climate to one that is very, very cold with lots of snow. I'm not used to this! When is it okay to take a baby out in this weather? Any tips for keeping the baby warm? I have baby carriers that have padding to keep the baby warm and hoods to keep the baby protected. At what temperature is it okay, for example, to take a 10-15 minute walk to run errands? Thanks for helping a cold-weather newbie!

mandr

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
B"H we have a 1 month old baby and have just moved from a warm climate to one that is very, very cold with lots of snow. I'm not used to this! When is it okay to take a baby out in this weather? Any tips for keeping the baby warm? I have baby carriers that have padding to keep the baby warm and hoods to keep the baby protected. At what temperature is it okay, for example, to take a 10-15 minute walk to run errands? Thanks for helping a cold-weather newbie!

You can use a carriage. Dress your baby in a snowsuit or fleece/sherpa footed coat and then use a blanket to cover your baby. Always use a rain cover plastic to shield your baby from the wind. It's usually difficult to use a carriage in the snow but it depends on where you live and if they clean the sidewalks after a snowfall. I don't know if you would want to use a baby carrier (such as an ergo) in the cold because I can't imagine the padding and hood being warm enough.

Don't test your baby's cheeks for warmth because those can feel cold even when your baby is NOT cold. Feel the back of his/her neck instead.

It's hard to say which temperatures are fine or not because there are other factors involved such as wind, sleet, snow, sun, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics