Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
TSA/Security trouble if try to fly in snood not sheitel?
1  2  Next

4Sisters

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:41 am
A friend told me that she had trouble when she changed from her sheitel into her snood and then had to re-board the plane. My pasport photo has me in a sheitel. Should I just wear while boarding (and re-boarding) the plane to make security hassles that much less? I'd rather not even shlep a sheitel, but will if it makes security issues easier....

Thanks for the help!

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:47 am
I would certainly bring the sheitel and change to a snood on the plane. TSA can be so arbitrary, it's not worth taking any chances of ruining your trip.

morah

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:53 am
I travel in a snood and have never had a problem. Sometimes I get an extra pat down where they get a lady to feel my snood and make sure there's hair under there and not something else, but that takes all of 10 seconds.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:55 am
My passport pic is from before I was married, and I never had any problems in a snood. They've had to pat it down in private, but that's all, and they're very respectful.

ROFL

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:45 am
My DH wears a small suede kippa They patted the kippa last time he flew to make sure there was nothing underneath it.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:03 am
I never had problems with snood/sheital switches. Big pertinence with tefilin. DH missed 2 flights because of them.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:05 am
I didn't have trouble with my snood, but got an extra pat-down due to maxi skirt. I requested privacy and they had two women take me into a cubicle. The pat-down took thirty seconds and was totally professional. Really no big deal.

mommyla

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:10 am
I've actually had more trouble in a shaitel than a snood - my shaitel clips beep and I was once asked to take it off, but they've never given my snood a second glance. I only fly in a snood these days.

spring13

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:14 am
I wore a sheitel one way on my last trip, and a tichel the other. Didn't have problems or get a pat-down for either situation, even though my return trip in a tichel went through an airport that probably doesn't see many frum Jews. Although, it probably sees a fair share of Muslim women in hijab, so that could be why they weren't fazed.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:08 pm
Snood, tichels are no problem. It does make it easier if you are not holding your hair underneath with a metal barrette. That can cause beeping.

wife2

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:17 pm
I always wear snoods and ALWAYS get pat downs every time I fly. When I was pregnant, they made me lift up my shirt, I guess to make sure it was a real stomach. It is not a big deal and I don't really mind - I always request a private room so they are not doing it in public

Hatemywig

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:26 pm
I was patted down and the TSA lady felt my wig grip and asked me what it was, I told her it was a part of the wig.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:28 pm
I rarely had problems with a snood or bandana but now with the Muslim paranoia, I would stick to sheitel. Good point.

celesteno

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 4:46 pm
I fly all the time. My passport photo is of me in a sheital (as is my driver's license which I use for domestic flights) and I've never had a problem flying in a snood. I always wear a snood while flying because it's more comfortable and the only thing that's ever happened is a female TSA agent gets called to either wand it or pat it. It'll be fine.

Miri7

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
I never had problems with snood/sheital switches. Big pertinence with tefilin. DH missed 2 flights because of them.

Funny - we were flying once and had made last-minute changes to our reservations so that triggered extra scrutiny at security. The guard who was checking DH's bag after he'd gone through the xray thing opened up DH's bag, took out his tallis/tefillin bag, saw the hebrew writing and said "You're Jewish?" DH said "Yes." Security guy then said , "oh, you're fine then" and packed up DH's things! Talk about profiling!

Meanwhile, they opened up everything in my bag. Ugh!

(sorry this is off topic. I've also gotten the patdown of my mitpachat. they let me keep it on when I said it was for religious purposes. I don't wear snood/sheitel so I can't speak to that)

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 6:44 pm
I've had an extra pat down bc they'd see the wig clips etc on the scans, but usually a woman would just pat around my head and feel there's nothing else there. I'm surprised they'd ask someone to remove a wig in public. Someone could be wearing a wig for health reasons and feel very self conscious about doing such a thing. That said, if there were issues I'd be cooperative and just ask for the extra checks to be done by a woman and in privacy if appropriate. It's for our safety.

4Sisters

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:38 pm
Thank you everyone! I'm wearing the snood Smile. Thanks for the BTDT input!

boysrus

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:41 pm
wife2 wrote:
I always wear snoods and ALWAYS get pat downs every time I fly. When I was pregnant, they made me lift up my shirt, I guess to make sure it was a real stomach. It is not a big deal and I don't really mind - I always request a private room so they are not doing it in public

they made you lift up your shirt?!!!! what an invasion of your privacy! Gosh, I would absolutely refuse! Since when are passengers expected to undress for inspections?! This is really really bad, I am surprised that you consider that not a big deal! I would scream blue murder if asked to uncover my stomach!

nywife

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 6:59 am
I think it depend whether you're flying internationally or not. When I flew to Israel I was wearing a hat (on top of my wig, thankfully) and they asked me to remove the hat. When I flew domestically I was wearing a scarf and no one said anything.

silbergirl

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:35 am
When I was flying within Europe and just wore a snood for comfort, they made me take it off. The next time I traveled with a sheitel and noone even noticed it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics