Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Named Misspelled on Bris Certificate
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:33 am
Everything is correct in English, but our last name is spelled wrong in Hebrew, and it is not a subtle misspelling. There are like a million yuds and we don't have any yuds in our last name, not on our Israeli passports or any of our Israeli documents. We live in the US now, son was born in the US and bris took place in the US, if that matters. Should I ask the mohel to redo the bris certificate?

momX4

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:36 am
Never heard of a bris cerificate and I have made a bris in the past.

rachel22

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:49 am
What's a bris certificate? First time hearing that..

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:49 am
I have a bunch of boys, BH and never heard of a "bris certificate" either. What is it? What on earth would you ever have to use it for? To "prove" that your son had a bris??? Who would you have to show this to?

I assume it is probably just a momento that your mohel gave to commemorate the event. So if you want to frame it or something, certainly ask him for a new one. Otherwise, what difference does it make?

Sanguine

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:50 am
What is a Bris certificate?? To prove that they had a bris? I guess that's a more polite way to prove it than the obvious way embarrassed

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:02 am
Sanguine wrote:
What is a Bris certificate?? To prove that they had a bris? I guess that's a more polite way to prove it than the obvious way embarrassed

That's really funny. You should post in immediate reactions thread.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:04 am
I am OP. Maybe there is a different name for it. No one else got a document stating the day of the bris, the child's name, mother's name, father's name, sandak and mohel?

I thought maybe it was to prove there was a kosher bris just in case of some weird whatever.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
I am OP. Maybe there is a different name for it. No one else got a document stating the day of the bris, the child's name, mother's name, father's name, sandak and mohel?

I thought maybe it was to prove there was a kosher bris just in case of some weird whatever.

Never got any such thing. Again, under what circumstances would you have to prove this information?

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:08 am
Several brissim here, no certificates were ever awarded (although I think the mothers should get one!).

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:14 am
I never heard of such a thing! I have a few boys and many brothers and no one was ever issued any sort of document.

Miri7

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:14 am
The mohel who did my oldest son's bris gave us a certificate. Yes, it's like a keepsake thing, you can frame it. We moved and our next mohel didnt give certificates. (Funny thing is that the same mohel did DH and my oldest and they have matching certificates! Except the name/date. I find this to be really cute.).

I would ask for a corrected copy. No big deal.

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:18 am
amother wrote:

I got one. I thought they were standard.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:24 am
Here is a circumstance where I wish there were a certificate involved (well there was, but it was thrown away or lost). The story involves me so I am anon for this post. Husband was born in the USSR, which broke up not long after he was born. He was born into a non-religious family but went to a Chassidic school, and got a bris when he was 5 or 6 by a Chabad mohel/s who had gone to the school because most of the kids there didn't have a bris as a baby. Fast forward to our marriage. We were deep into Chabad, going to have a Chabad wedding and all, but they have to check to make sure everything is ready to go. Rav asks for the bris certificate or document from the bris. DH's parents don't have it. Luckily, we know that Chabad is the most likely group to have been performing brissim in post soviet countries to Jewish boys, so we figured out the year DH's bris was in, knew the city and school and all, and our rav called around and found the rabbi who was there at the time. The rav looks it up and DH is there in the records. The rabbi says he will write a new paper certifiying the bris but that we won't really need it since we will have our ketuvah.

Maybe it's not such a normal circumstance, but if DH's parents had saved that piece of paper it would have been a lot easier.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:31 am
OP here. They don't ask for it at schools? What if someone is MO and becomes Chassidic or something, they don't ask to see a ketuba or bris certificate at the new school? Or both? To prove that the child is halachically Jewish and should be at the school? I just don't have kids at that age yet to know..

Sanguine

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:34 am
The mohel gives it to you like a souvenir that you hang up but it's really free advertising for him. People start to see them around and when they need a Mohel they obviously look up the guy who they'v seen signed on all the Bris certificates.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
OP here. They don't ask for it at schools? What if someone is MO and becomes Chassidic or something, they don't ask to see a ketuba or bris certificate at the new school? Or both? To prove that the child is halachically Jewish and should be at the school? I just don't have kids at that age yet to know..

Whether or not a child is halachically Jewish has no connection at all to whether or not he received a bris milah.

That being said, we were never asked to produce either a ketuba or any other religious documentation when enrolling our kids in schools in both the U.S. and Israel. We are yeshivish/Chareidi, so it could be different in other circles.

If your child moves to Israel and wants to get married here, the Rabbanut will want to check that he is Halachicly Jewish, but assuming you are not dealing with issues involving conversion or an unclear family background that is usually not hard to establish. Certainly if you have your own kesuba that would be enough to establish your son as Jewish, if he is not already recorded as such. (And if you yourself were married in Israel, there would certainly be no problems -- you said you have Israeli passports, so that might be the case.)

mommyofboygirls

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:48 am
m in Israel wrote:
Whether or not a child is halachically Jewish has no connection at all to whether or not he received a bris milah.

I think OP was thinking that if there had been any question at all about the status of the child, any research to establish that he is halachically Jewish would have been done by the mohel prior to performing the bris, as no mohel wants to perform a bris on a child who is not halachically Jewish. So having the document is just one less thing to think about. Yes, there is an Orthodox kesuba, yes, there was a kosher bris. Nothing to worry about on either end.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 1:03 pm
mommyofboygirls wrote:
I think OP was thinking that if there had been any question at all about the status of the child, any research to establish that he is halachically Jewish would have been done by the mohel prior to performing the bris, as no mohel wants to perform a bris on a child who is not halachically Jewish. So having the document is just one less thing to think about. Yes, there is an Orthodox kesuba, yes, there was a kosher bris. Nothing to worry about on either end.

It could be, but I have never heard of a mohel researching the halachic status of a child either! I assume that if someone calls a mohel and claims to be Jewish and wants him to do a Bris Milah, most mohelim will not start researching lineage. It is quite different then a Rabbi performing a marriage. If a non-Jewish baby has a bris milah it is simply a medical procedure -- as opposed to all sorts of problems if someone is married to a non Jew. So I am not really convinced that a "bris certificate" means that a mohel has established a child's halachic status. But again, maybe the type of mohel who issues such a certificate also does that type of research. . .

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 1:14 pm
We have a conversion on my side of the family and have had some documentation issues similar to the poster with the soviet husband. I just want to make sure the last name being spelled differently from on our Israeli stuff won't raise any red flags should we need to show it to anyone for whatever reason, and cause a hassle that I don't want to deal with. But we have an Orthodox ketuba (we were not married in Israel though) so I guess that should cover everything.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:

Why is someone who is MO less likely to be halachically jewish than someone chassidish? Am I missing something here?

And I have never heard of a bris certificate. Not in my MO world, for sure. We do have a ketuba, being halachically jewish and having a halachic chasunah, ya know.

Maybe you're getting confused with MO and non orthodox, like conservative or reform movements. Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette