Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Do you watch movies [poll]?
1  2  Next

Do you watch movies?
Yes  
 77%  [ 135 ]
No  
 22%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 174

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 2:39 pm
In my community, it seems that everyone watches movies, even people learning in kollel. As there are many yeshivish/chassidish members here, I wanted to see if there are a significant amount of people who never watch movies.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 2:43 pm
Is the poll intended for only yeshivish/chassidish imamothers? You'll probably get a skewed response here as there're many non-yeshivish/chassidsh members here, for whom watching movies would be less of an issue.

Also, there are movies and movies. I clicked yes because I took kids to Frozen and Lego Movie. Though I have no interest in going to watch 50 shades of grey.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 4:21 pm
yes - I watch movies ... for a while when my kids were first born I tried not to ... thinking they didn't need the influences of the world

but reality is that it's a great way to relax & unwind and life is out there anyhow

I always wonder about the people who claim they don't watch tv but they rent movies & watch it on a video/dvd - they're really just the same

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 4:23 pm
greenfire wrote:
yes - I watch movies ... for a while when my kids were first born I tried not to ... thinking they didn't need the influences of the world

but reality is that it's a great way to relax & unwind and life is out there anyhow

I always wonder about the people who claim they don't watch tv but they rent movies & watch it on a video/dvd - they're really just the same

True and untrue.

You can't fast forward in a theater.

sped

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:20 pm
I said "no", because I usually don't. I must confess that on my last trip to the US, they had an option of Mary Poppins (the one with Julie Andrews, I think) and I did watch that. In general, I don't really enjoy movies much. I would much rather use the time to read.

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:22 pm
Yes.

"Enchanted April," for instance.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:23 pm
youngishbear wrote:
True and untrue.

sure you can
EXIT :arrow:

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:38 pm
greenfire wrote:
sure you can
EXIT :arrow:

Lol.

But what if I want to skip just scenes I find objectionable? I don't want to miss the ending.

KollelWife3

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:51 pm
No. I don't watch movies.

I'm chassidish, if it makes a difference.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 1:12 am
Yes, all types of movies.

chani8

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 3:39 am
You want me to sit through a whole entire movie? No way.

And all I can think about is how well they're acting. Look, tears! And a runny nose, too! So realistic!

chani8

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 3:52 am
Oh, but I do watch (42 minute), old tv shows online while I exercise.

luppamom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 4:13 am
I can't vote. I'm not one way or the other.

I am relatively yeshivish and I do and don't at the same time. I don't have a policy that says I DON'T watch movies. I just never really found them to be that enjoyable. As a teen, I much preferred reading. (Choice of books was a much bigger nisayon for me.) We didn't have a TV in the house, but watched at our grandparents.

Now, I don't want my kids to grow up w/ TV/movies but I also don't want them to grow up thinking it's a forbidden fruit...

When I'm flying, I consider watching a movie b/c it might bore me enough to help me fall asleep or may possibly be interesting. But, all of the movies I would think about watching probably aren't appropriate for my DH.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 4:32 am
I'm not yeshivish.
I watch films, but I avoid films with gratuitous violence/sx.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 4:35 am
I don't watch any violent, scary, or intense/triggering movies. I watch romantic comedies and children's films.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 7:58 am
Movies today are so vulgar such horrible things-a waste of time and we must fill up our heads with worthwhile things.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
Movies today are so vulgar such horrible things-a waste of time and we must fill up our heads with worthwhile things.

I agree that the level of vulgarity which is commonplace these days makes it difficult to find acceptable films.

You can more easily find acceptable viewing material among older, classic films. There are so many great quality films out there without vulgarity.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:17 am
youngishbear wrote:
Lol.

But what if I want to skip just scenes I find objectionable? I don't want to miss the ending.

you could always put your hands over your eyes I dont want to see

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:21 am
youngishbear wrote:

I was more referring to a dvd vs tv ... rather than a theatre ...

anyways I still find it hypocritical when people say they don't watch movies because they do not watch tv or go to the theatre - yet they watch on-line or via dvd/video

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:33 am
I would vote no, since getting married we've watched a handful together.
Are you including the clips on Aish.com, video lectures, wedding videos?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics