Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Some beautiful stories of kindness; share yours please

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 4:04 pm
http://dailysignal.com/2015/02.....ives/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.....pular

I was at a melava malka the other night and a woman there was recovering from a broken leg. She said that several friends got together and stocked her home with groceries and would not let her pay for them. They told her to simply pay it forward the next time someone else was sick or injured, chas v'sholem.

So I hope that other posters will share their favorite stories of kindness where people went out of their way to help those who are less fortunate. Grab a tissue.

lilacdreams

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 4:48 pm
about 10 years ago I was in London with my husband and 5 kids for a wedding. Erev shabbes we left to travel across London to get to where shabbes sheva brochos was to be, but about 20 minutes from our destination the road was closed and traffic was at a standstill because someone had been murdered near by. It was winter, temperatures were dipping to minus-something and the sun was getting lower and lower, with no way of driving forward, or turning around, we were well and truly blocked in. One hour went past, two.....Shkiah was fast approaching. We started to get panicked and called around to find out what to do in terms of shabbes, the kids and the car and getting to our destination. The psak was to drive when we could to the closest place that was safe to stop, with the kids and to try to get help. My family knew of our plan and hoped we would be ok.

Chasdei Hashem the first place we could stop was a big frum Jewish community, and the shul was basically the first building for us to be able to stop at. It was well after maariv at this point, so we grabbed the kids, left everything else in the car and walked into the shul, parents and 5 tiny kids. We were greeted by the shul security and we told them our plight. They went to talk to the rav (in the middle of tefilla) and he spoke to someone else and within 5 minutes a man rushed up to us and said 'you can stay by me, and eat tonight's meal by me. For lunch someone else will have you all'.

The first man told us to follow him home and to give him 2 minutes to prepare his wife. When we came in we were welcomed like old friends - suddenly there were an extra 7 places laid at the table, and food flowed from the kitchen like she had been preparing for us all week. Beds were prepared and we all were made to feel so welcome - we loved our hosts and had much in common with them. Lunch was just as wonderful and the people were truly amazing hosts, so much food - and they had had no clue we were coming!

After shabbes we made contact with our family, sheva brochos had been wonderful - but truthfully we had just as nice of a shabbes too. After we returned to Israel I wrote a thank you to the rav of the community and the shul members who had helped us and sent it to the local jewish newspaper, who published it. That was truly an act of chesed. We also sent flowers or a present I cant remember, to the families. Also the community had a Shabbos [gentile] and he drove our car to a secure place, locked it and brought all our bags to where we were staying so we would have clothing and diapers etc. WOW I have always been inspired by those people and that community.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 4:55 pm
Wow, Lilacdreams! That is amazing.

And thank you for starting this thread, Southernbubby. It's nice to read something so positive and inspiring.

I'll have to contribute later when I can type more.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:07 pm
Lilacdreams, the people in London were amazing when my son was forced to deplane at Heathrow due to that volcano in Iceland. They brought tuna sandwiches to stranded passengers who needed kosher food and the yeshivas there took in bochrim who were headed for other yeshivas (my son was going to Berlin, Germany) but who were stranded. No Jew was left without a place!

Ashrei

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:14 pm
I was driving my son w/spina bifida to his EI center based program last year. (He walks with braces and a walker, short distances.)

We're in Brooklyn and the block by the school has narrow houses with narrow driveways, and there's barely any room for 1 car between the houses, let alone a minivan. I parked at a narrow spot, and my bumper was a few inches into someones driveway. The lady who the driveway belonged to was outside. I asked if I could park just to drop off my son. She was very nice, but also seemed hesitant very slightly because, well, it's Brooklyn, and you know how driveways are. But she said yes.

I was going through a lot with my son and that little tiny thing, to have a parking spot close to the school to drop him off, was a big chesed to me.

And the nice thing is when I took him out of the car and she saw the walker and braces etc., I could tell she really felt good about her decision. She said yes to be nice, but she didn't even realize the situation she was really helping out.

I guess even little things could have a profound impact - you never know people's situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics