Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
The case of the vanishing cheese...

studying_torah

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:04 pm
I noticed that sometimes I will melt cheese into my pasta, or make a cheese sauce on the stovetop (sometimes w/ plain yogurt or sour cream, sometimes not) and about an hour later all the cheese sauce seems to have vanished. There is just some oily residue on the pasta.
The pasta still tastes good, but where did it go? Did the pasta absorb it all? And how do I prevent this from happening so that by the time dh gets home from work, his pasta still has cheese sauce.
I don't like to keep it separate to pour on later, because I find the cheese sauce tends to separate into cheese and oil. If s/o can tell me how to prevent that, I'd appreciate it! Question

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:18 pm
maybe you need more cheese ?

I leave it in a separate pot ... but then again I add marinara sauce as well ... put the hot sauce on the pasta as needed

studying_torah

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:20 pm
thanks greenie, I'm talking about plain w/o the marinara. how do u stop the cheese sauce from separating if it's made in a sep pot?

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:21 pm
what kind of cheese are you using

studying_torah

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:48 pm
depends on what I have on hand, sometimes shredded cheese, sometimes just american cheese. melted alternating w/ milk, maybe some butter. then again, it also happens when I make the alfredo recipe in my cookbook which is cream and pamesan cheese....

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:57 pm
maybe it happens to cheese when you make it hot ... and you just have to re-heat it before you eat it

I haven't encountered this issue - but then again maybe it hides behind the sauce like I mentioned I always use marinara sauce with mozzarella cheese & I still warm it up before I serve it to anybody

cheese is oily by nature - I'm not sure why the oil offends

tulips12

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:14 pm
My theory is that American cheese is made of mostly water so if I cook it Ina pot it dissolves. I warm or rewarm it in a toaster oven each portion as needed

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:18 pm
I'm afraid I have to break the following news:

- Pasta is meant to be eaten freshly cooked, not to be reheated when DH comes home.
Maybe he can let you know what time he'll be back so that OP can time when to cook
so it can be served fresh? (Cheese sauce can be made in advance).

- American cheese is actually not cheese but processed cheese foods (cheese with modified
starch and oil). This may explain why it breaks up and leaves oily residue.

- Pasta does absorb sauce if you leave it--may it be cheesy sauce or creamy sauce or tomato
sauce. Again, pouring the sauce right before serving should minimise this.

Alternatively, make pasta bake or mac n' cheese if you want something that can be prepared ahead of time and can be reheated.

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:48 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I'm afraid I have to break the following news:

- Pasta is meant to be eaten freshly cooked, not to be reheated when DH comes home.
Maybe he can let you know what time he'll be back so that OP can time when to cook
so it can be served fresh? (Cheese sauce can be made in advance).

- American cheese is actually not cheese but processed cheese foods (cheese with modified
starch and oil). This may explain why it breaks up and leaves oily residue.

- Pasta does absorb sauce if you leave it--may it be cheesy sauce or creamy sauce or tomato
sauce. Again, pouring the sauce right before serving should minimise this.

Alternatively, make pasta bake or mac n' cheese if you want something that can be prepared ahead of time and can be reheated.

You can buy American Cheese which is different than American Cheese Food which you also buy. You just have to look at the label. Otherwise I agree with you.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 7:55 pm
if you want to know what sonny boy says about american cheese ... well it's the frankfurter of cheeses ... whatever crud is left around from the previous cheeses made - gets put into a vat to make good ole american cheese ~ I wouldn't take a bite outta that Cheese

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:01 pm
Squishy wrote:
You can buy American Cheese which is different than American Cheese Food which you also buy. You just have to look at the label. Otherwise I agree with you.

That's interesting. I read that there's no such thing as American cheese (like there's cheddar or mozarella). It's not real cheese, as Greenfire said, just dairy leftovers processed into slices.

I read that they have to write American slices or cheese products. It can't say simply American cheese, since that's deceptive.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:07 pm
Well it happens w shredded mozerella of cheddar or even Parmesan cheese; not just w the garbage american cheese.
I try to keep the sauce separate and reheat it but it doesn't end up blending properly.
And if I forget to sep some, and pour it all over the pasta it's gone by time dh comes home. The kids eat a whole lot earlier than dh gets home.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:36 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Well it happens w shredded mozerella of cheddar or even Parmesan cheese; not just w the garbage american cheese.
I try to keep the sauce separate and reheat it but it doesn't end up blending properly.
And if I forget to sep some, and pour it all over the pasta it's gone by time dh comes home. The kids eat a whole lot earlier than dh gets home.

OP, does your cheese sauce recipe call for making roux first with flour and butter/oil?
So long as you use proper roux-based recipe, cheese melted into sauce shouldn't separate.

Also wouldn't using mozzarella end up with stringy bits? I use it for pizza or lasagne
but not for melting into cheese sauce.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:43 pm
Hmm wondered y it got stringy ... 😊
I will try w a roux, never did that before w a cheese sauce. Thank u mrs bissli!
Btw- what's ur favorite flavor of bissli? Mine is the onion rings or the bbq twists.

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:59 pm
youngishbear wrote:
That's interesting. I read that there's no such thing as American cheese (like there's cheddar or mozarella). It's not real cheese, as Greenfire said, just dairy leftovers processed into slices.

I read that they have to write American slices or cheese products. It can't say simply American cheese, since that's deceptive.

When American cheese is made combining cheeses such as colby and cheddar, it is called cheese because it made from cheese.

The following is the governmental regulations as to when American cheese is cheese or cheese food or processed cheese:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/.....3.169

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:02 pm
Squishy wrote:
When American cheese is made combining cheeses such as colby and cheddar, it is called cheese because it made from cheese.

The following is the governmental regulations as to when American cheese is cheese or cheese food or processed cheese:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/.....3.169

Thumbs Up

Learned something new today, even if I didn't read through all the fine print.

Thank you for that!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals