Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Minneapolis

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:44 pm
DH was just offered a transfer to Minneapolis. The only thing I know about Minnesota is that the Mississippi River starts there.

What's the community like? Shuls?
We have 2 kids - one would be going into 2nd grade and the other into Pre 1a. What are the school options?
What's kosher food like? There are some old posts on this site from 2013 about a small shop and 1 restaurant. Is that info still accurate?
Rent/home prices for 3-4 bedroom homes?

Thanks!!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:53 pm
Bump

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:51 am
first off, just want to point out that you don't need to bump up a thread after 2 hours.....give people some time.

I don't know much about it-- we looked into it as my husband got into school there over 10 years ago. It seemed like a nice place to live, and it seems that its been developed since then-- in terms of amenities. I only know about the yeshivish community-- there is a MO crowd/small school, too, plus a Lubavitch community in St. Paul.

the school is called Torah Academy (or some generic name like that) and it seems like your standard OOT yeshivish day school. there is a boys h.s. and girls h.s. everything is OOT yeshivish-- much more laid back than what you'd find in NY metro area.

There is a Lakewood kollel there.

The shul is called Beis Yisroel, I don't know who the Rov is now, but the phone number I have 952-926-7867.

If I find any more contact information, I will post. I know at one time, I had a few names of people there.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:55 am
I'm sorry about bumping so fast. This all happened so fast and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Not that it's a good excuse, just what's going on. We would need to make this decision pretty quickly and potentially move right around Pesach time, so I was just a bit frantic last night.
Thank you so much for the info and the phone number!!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 12:21 pm
Im from Minneapolis, and glad you bumped the thread because I didnt see it before!

We love living here so I can tell you a little bit about it.

There are three shuls in the eruv. Bais yisroel is the largest and its mostly a yeshivish crowd, a mix of young and older families, the Rav is Rabbi Yechezkel Greenberg.
Kenneset Israel is more of a modern crowd. They were an older, dying out shul a few years ago, but Rabbi Kalatsky took over the shul and they now cater to younger families. They have shabbos morning babysitting which is a big attraction.
The newest shul is darchie noam and I do not know much about it. I think its very very modern, leaning towards conservative.

The school is torah academy. They have torah tots- 2 year old through 8th grade. Girls and boys are split in third grade. The menahel is Rabbi Pinchus Idstein.

There is a BY which is getting a brand new building and a Yeshiva which also just moved into a new building.

There is one kosher grocery store called kosher spot. It carries everything you need, but all the bigger grocery stores carry kosher meat and dairy, cholov yisroel etc.

There are two restaurants, a dairy one called vitalis bistro. Its like a cafe with sandwhiches, crepes, coffee etc and a brand new meat restaurant called prime deli. Prime deli gets amazing reviews from everyone, its really good!

The mikvah is very nice.

Housing kind of varies. There are apartments in the eiruv as well as houses. I own a house, so I do not know rental prices, but they are probably around 1600 or so? I'm not sure. There is a frum Realtor who really helps out the community. I do not know how many rental houses there are in the eiruv right now, but there houses for sale, and apartments.

What else can I tell you?
There are about 250 frum families and it is growing. People here are warm and friendly. When you move in, you can probably expect meals to be set up for you for a week. people take care of everyone here. Everyone goes to everyone else's simchas.

Its a great place to live.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 12:26 pm
Also, are you coming to visit before you make the decision? I think there is a hospitality committee to get you set up for a visit.

Where would your husband be working?

If you tell me a little more about your background and what you are looking for, I could probably help you out more.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 4:42 pm
Thanks for all the info amother from Minneapolis! I spent most of today trying to do "real" research and I think I've got most of the information I need but I do have a few more questions.

We're coming from a yeshivish-ish community but we're definitely more on the modern end of things in that we do have a TV, go to games, that kind of thing. I don't always wear socks in the summer, DH has a black hat but wears it rarely if ever, and usually wears a white shirt on Shabbos, but again, not always. I'm getting somewhat conflicting vibes on the style of the community and the school.

Would we fit?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 5:04 pm
There is a strong kollel presence here in minneapolis, but there are a wide range of people from modern to a few chasidim. Most people lie somewhere in between.
I think many people have tv's. and people are pretty open minded.
Many different backgrounds and balie teshuva.

I have freinds living here that sound similar to you and they like it here.

I think you have to visit to get a real feel for it, but you wouldnt stand out if your dh wears colored shirts and no black hat and had a tv.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 5:34 pm
Thanks again!

Yes, we'll definitely be visiting to see the community for ourselves. We have such a short time frame to decide that I just wanted to get a feel for if it made sense at all.

It sounds like a really nice community, and everyone one I've spoken to has been extremely helpful.

I guess we'll be seeing you in the next few weeks.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:23 am
Op, have you made plans to visit yet?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:34 am
It's WAY TOO COLD THERE....

I was once there for a day. It's like Siberia

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:52 am
I can't deny its cold, but when were you here? During the polar vortex thing last year when it was cold everywhere?
Actually the majority of this years winter has been in the 20's and 30's even some 40's and much less snow then in ny! This week does happensto be really cold, but its above negatives.
People manage. I wouldn't rule out living somwhere bc of the weather, unless it was dangerous hurricane weather or something.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 5:24 am
Sorry Im reading an old thread. Can anyone tell me how far it is from NY/Lakewood and From Chicago?
How long does the winter last?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating