Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Smaller Oven of 30" Double Oven Gas Range, what fits?

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:37 pm
Im considering a Double Oven Gas Range because I like the idea of being able to bake Milchig and Fleishig at the same time, without having to do the self clean in between.

Someone who has a 30" Double Oven Gas Range says they made the smaller oven pareve, and always bake 6 Challahs in the smaller of the two ovens, at once. Does that make sense? I mentioned this to someone else, and they say she must be baking tiny Challahs.

All Double Oven Gas Range have a smaller oven, and a larger oven, and theyre all very similar in size.

Can you bake Challahs in the smaller oven of a 30" Double Oven Gas Range?

Any drawbacks to a Double Oven Gas Range, over a Single Oven Gas range? Ive read reviews and hear you might not be able to bake a huge turkey in even the larger oven, but how often do you bake a huge turkey?

abs

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:43 pm
Just make sure they don't cause Kashrus issues with the venting. I remember the old Caloric top and bottom double oven from a million years ago had a problem. The lower oven vented into the upper. (Fleishig steam into milchig oven)

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:58 pm
abs wrote:
Just make sure they don't cause Kashrus issues with the venting. I remember the old Caloric top and bottom double oven from a million years ago had a problem. The lower oven vented into the upper. (Fleishig steam into milchig oven)

I used to ask Rabbi Blumenkrantz a"h these kinds of questions. He was the expert. Not all Rabbonim are knowledgable about appliances and how they work. Ill ask for sure, but I would think that if a double oven gas range is sold w Sabbath Mode, both ovens are not being used for Milchig, or both for Fleishig. What would be the point of a double oven for Kosher consumers (I know non Jews like the double ovens for different temperatures, but I think Kosher people usually use them one for Milchig, one for Fleishig)?

sky

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 10:10 am
Just to throw out another idea: I bought an oven microwave vent combo to go on top of my oven.
I bake challahs in there weekly - max 3, the one I have doesn't allow for tall challahs, but I think it may be my model.
It is my pareve oven and microwave.
It isn't perfect and has some major drawbacks, but having a pareve oven is a major plus for me (it is not self clean).

nylon

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 12:55 pm
I have a double oven range and there's no way I could fit 6 challot in the top. In fact I wouldn't use it to bake bread at all as the top of the bread will be too close to the element.

Mevater

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:44 pm
nylon wrote:
I have a double oven range and there's no way I could fit 6 challot in the top. In fact I wouldn't use it to bake bread at all as the top of the bread will be too close to the element.

What do you use the smaller oven for? Do you use the larger oven of the two for baking Challah, and how do you feel about the distance from the heating element with Challah in the larger oven? Are you happy you chose a double oven range?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 10:14 pm
Bump

nylon

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 11:04 pm
I missed this question!

I use my top oven for things in dishes, baking potatoes, etc. I also broil fish in it and it actually does a better job than the broiler in the bottom. if I need to do a lot of milchig baking I kasher the bottom so things don't over brown. It is a full size oven and you can bake whatever in it you would in any 30" oven, but the bottom rack is very low, so be prepared for that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen