Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
To mothers who bottle feed from birth
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:06 pm
I don't bottlefeed, but I do use water for baby cereal. I really think it depends on the water. The water here in Israel is hard water. I would think it would upset my baby's stomach (not saying it's dangerous, just uncomfortable).

I don't think boiling water is a big deal, but maybe that's b/c we have these cute mini electric kettles over here called kumkums. I usually boil the water in the morning for coffee and oatmeal and then use the water for the baby. If it's not a big deal, why not do that? If you're preparing hot water for yourself, just save some for the bottles.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:09 pm
Exactly!

Ugh it reminds me of the time I asked for some hot water at a wedding and they brought me warm tap water.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:17 pm
scrltfr wrote:
And now you are a water study expert?

Seriously, if you don't have the science to back it up please stop. If you need some sites to back you up I'm sure you can find them on the anti Vax threads.

look, if you care you can do your own research. I can't really understand why one wouldn't want to be careful. this has nothing to do with vaccinating- vaccinating at least has certain health benefits, tap water definitely does not. I would think formula is enough of a risk, why compound it? but to each their own.

fleetwood

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:38 pm
why is formula a risk?

scrltfr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:39 pm
smss wrote:
look, if you care you can do your own research. I can't really understand why one wouldn't want to be careful. this has nothing to do with vaccinating- vaccinating at least has certain health benefits, ta7p water definitely does not. I would think formula is enough of a risk, why compound it? but to each their own.

Formula is a risk? Well then it's a wonder I was even able to have kids!

baltimoremom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:51 pm
I can't believe someone would buy special baby bottled water- that is def. the same as normal bottled water but it has a special label. I live in Baltimore and everyone drinks our water. I don't know anyone who bottle feeds who only uses bottled water. One baby preferred warm bottles so I would use some water from an urn. But as someone mentioned the urn does need to be cleaned of plugged in all the time. And yes a Kum Kum takes time to do have u ever had a screaming baby waiting for a bottle as you jst woke up or or got home from work- who has time to bottle water then and then have it cool enough for a baby.
No idea why someone is bashing formula here this was a thread saying I am using formula now what do I do-

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 7:03 pm
Our ped never said anything to us about boiling water first. I guess that's because the tap water in my area is really good, some of the best in the country actually. We were never really worried about keeping germs away from her, and she has a super good immune system now.

(I mean, we obviously did our best within reason to keep things clean, but we didn't go crazy about it.)

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 7:07 pm
I formula - bottle fed all my babies room temperature tap water.
I never boiled or warmed up their bottles.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:01 pm
baltimoremom wrote:
I can't believe someone would buy special baby bottled water- that is def. the same as normal bottled water but it has a special label. I live in Baltimore and everyone drinks our water. I don't know anyone who bottle feeds who only uses bottled water. One baby preferred warm bottles so I would use some water from an urn. But as someone mentioned the urn does need to be cleaned of plugged in all the time. And yes a Kum Kum takes time to do have u ever had a screaming baby waiting for a bottle as you jst woke up or or got home from work- who has time to bottle water then and then have it cool enough for a baby.
No idea why someone is bashing formula here this was a thread saying I am using formula now what do I do-

I don't know what special baby bottled water is. AFAIK you should use distilled or reverse osmosis water.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:03 pm
fleetwood wrote:
why is formula a risk?

I'll hide the link so those who don't want to see it don't have to, but since you asked:

Hidden: 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812877/

scrltfr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:10 pm
smss wrote:
I'll hide the link so those who don't want to see it don't have to, but since you asked:

Hidden: 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812877/

I won't open that link I just want you to know that your comments about formula are extremely hurtful and dangerous. Not everyone can or should breast feed and people like you just make them feel worse. Do you even think before you post?

mandr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:59 pm
There is definitely a risk to giving formula vs breastfeeding. Many people don't take the proper precautions necessary to ensure their formula is always safe. Mothers may give their babies formula that was opened and or prepared more than the time frame allowed, or mix wrong amounts etc. These can be dangerous. Formula spoils. When you're nursing, you can't give your baby anything bad.

Second, read the formula bottle labels! They specifically say to ask your doctor about the need for using pre-boiled water. So yes, there is something to it.

Whoever says "I used tap water only and my kids are happy, healthy adults" can stop. Lots of people smoke and don't get lung cancer. People drive without seatbelts all the time and are alive.

scrltfr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:04 pm
mandr wrote:
There is definitely a risk to giving formula vs breastfeeding. Many people don't take the proper precautions necessary to ensure their formula is always safe. Mothers may give their babies formula that was opened and or prepared more than the time frame allowed, or mix wrong amounts etc. These can be dangerous. Formula spoils. When you're nursing, you can't give your baby anything bad.

Second, read the formula bottle labels! They specifically say to ask your doctor about the need for using pre-boiled water. So yes, there is something to it.

Whoever says "I used tap water only and my kids are happy, healthy adults" can stop. Lots of people smoke and don't get lung cancer. People drive without seatbelts all the time and are alive.

I'm not getting into a formula vs breastfed discussion here. The op asked about water in formula and we answered her.

Oh and you can definitely do harm to your child while breastfeeding. You can eat bad things, you can drink alcohol, you can take medications. Nothing is without risk but that is not the point here.

Twinster

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:08 pm
I first mix the formula with hot water, then add the cold (filtered tap) water.

Every urn, home, faucet etc is different. So don't count on anyone's measurements. It took some time for me to figure out the right amounts of hot & cold water. Also, in the winter I need to add more hot water since the cold water is even colder.

And don't make the bottles too warm. Otherwise the baby may get used to having warmer bottles and might not drink if one bottle isn't at the right temperature.

Twinster

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:10 pm
Oh, and I started off with Similac Advanced, because that's what they were given in the Nicu. I then switched to Similac Sensitive, and then to Enfamil Prosobee (soy) because they were too sensitive to the dairy.

staten islander

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:16 pm
Noone should ever put boiling water into a plastic bottle.Plastic(even BPA free) should never be heated up to warmer then room temperature.

marina

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:17 pm
mandr wrote:

Uh.... unless, you know, you're on medication and then you can.

Or uh... unless your milk is like water and then you're just giving your starving baby water instead of anything useful.

lol

marina

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:17 pm
scrltfr wrote:
I'm not getting into a formula vs breastfed discussion here. The op asked about water in formula and we answered her.

Oh and you can definitely do harm to your child while breastfeeding. You can eat bad things, you can drink alcohol, you can take medications. Nothing is without risk but that is not the point here.

omg how do you say your name

mandr

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:40 pm
marina wrote:
omg how do you say your name

lol my mind reads it as "scarlet fever"

dalia1

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:52 pm
I think at this point it would be a great time for you to watch this gem: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/......html
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics