Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working at Adorama, B and H or Focus

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:21 pm
Can anyone tell me what the work conditions are in these places? Is it pleasant? Ant input would be appreciated.

OneSource

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:26 pm
One of my in-laws has worked at all three places. Her experience at Focus was not very good. She worked there for a number of years doing customer service. Let's just say that she left and never looked back. She then worked at Adorama where it was definitely better than Focus but she (and all the women in her division) didn't receive a raise in 5 years. Then she went to B&H. She has less freedom (I.e. it's more professional) but she has less responsibility for more money, better benefits and to top it all off - she get's raises! Overall, she's been very happy at B&H and tells women to always apply there because the starting hourly rate is better than the other two and they do actually give raises. In terms of society, the women's section is more or less the same in the other two. Some women you'll get along with, others not so much. PM if you have a specific question for her...

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 4:36 pm
Not OP, but interested to know - how much is the starting hourly rate at B&H? And what is it reasonable to expect in terms of raises, benefits, etc.?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:59 pm
amother wrote:
Not OP, but interested to know - how much is the starting hourly rate at B&H? And what is it reasonable to expect in terms of raises, benefits, etc.?

The hourly wage is based on what job you get hired for. A while back I heard that they had an opening for $23 hr, unsure what for.

They offer medical, dental and vision. You pay according to how much you make. (example not real, if you make $25 hr you pay $100 a month, $30 hr you pay $125)

They have paid vacation days as well.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 10:16 am
Origin OP here. I guess Focus is not what I'd be looking for. Can you elaborate when you say B&H is more professional? Also, what are the demographics of both places? Thanks

OneSource

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 1:45 pm
By professional, I basically mean all the norms of working in a real office environment. You clock in and out, have performance reviews, training, etc. They have employee handbooks and a legal department to ensure EEOC compliance... Professional! Adormana - not so much. They do try to be "professional" but based on the lack of raises, it's pretty obvious that they miss the mark.

SarahSmiles

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:37 am
I actually work at Adorama - for over 7 years. It's the longest I've ever worked anywhere! I love my work, my manager, my degree of autonomy. Can't imagine working anywhere else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics