Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Advantages / Disadvantages of Double Oven Gas Range

Mevater

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:31 pm
The smaller of the two ovens in a double oven gas range, seems to be quite small and limiting in what you can bake in it. The larger of the two, is a nice size, but not big enough for a large item such as a turkey.

If the oven can be switched between Milchig and Fleishig by use of the self clean feature, does it make sense to get a double oven gas range, with neither oven being really big?

If you have a double oven gas range, what do you find are the advantages?

If you have a single oven gas range, do you regret not getting a double?

TIA

abs

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 3:08 pm
If you would be constantly self-cleaning to switch from Flaishig to Milchig and back again, your oven will not last very long. The self-clean feature is not meant to be used that often.

farm

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 4:16 pm
I have a double GE. Bigger oven is parve . It fits a 5 pound batch of challah which is the most I would bake at a time so I think the size is more than enough. The smaller oven is meat. It is big enough for me to have 4 9x13 trays cooking at one time which is enough for my shabbos food to cook/stay warm for the Friday night Seuda. I guess if I was having a tremendous amount of company Friday night and the food didn't fit, I would either double wrap the things that stay covered and use the 2nd (parve) oven or put some things on a blech. I am extremely happy with my double oven.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 4:37 pm
I found it best to buy ovens and cook tops separately to get precisely what you want/ need. Having ovens that are too small or need to be kashered back and forth constantly sounds really annoying.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 7:55 pm
Kashering often kills the ignitor.

Mevater

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:04 pm
sky wrote:
Kashering often kills the ignitor.

How often do most people use the self cleaning feature? What do the manuals recommend?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:07 pm
Mevater wrote:
The smaller of the two ovens in a double oven gas range, seems to be quite small and limiting in what you can bake in it. The larger of the two, is a nice size, but not big enough for a large item such as a turkey.

If the oven can be switched between Milchig and Fleishig by use of the self clean feature, does it make sense to get a double oven gas range, with neither oven being really big?

If you have a double oven gas range, what do you find are the advantages?

If you have a single oven gas range, do you regret not getting a double?

TIA
If you only have room for one full oven range, why not purchase an over the range convection oven microwave combo for your second oven (for example full meat oven, convec/micro dairy oven hood combo).

Mevater

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you only have room for one full oven range, why not purchase an over the range convection oven microwave combo for your second oven (for example full meat oven, convec/micro dairy oven hood combo).

Thanks, but then where would I bake Challah, if I want my Challah pareve?

sky

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:13 pm
I think it is recommended to do it 1 - 2 times a year. I used to do it much more often and my ignitor went [one of the reasons I decided to get the convection micorwave oven]and the guy said to do it less often. My next one also went eventually (and my broiler ignitor) but it was a few years later.
If you get a warranty you can make sure it covers that in your oven.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:15 pm
Mevater wrote:
Where do you bake it now?

I bake my challah in my mainly meat oven, but since the oven is kept clean, my challah is parve.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:16 pm
I
Mevater wrote:

I have a small kitchen.

My oven is almost always for meat.
Pareve Convection Oven Microwave to bake in.
Milchig 9x13 toaster oven.

For shavous or some other time that I need to do lots of milchig baking I may kasher my oven (sometimes I can just put it on broil for 45 minutes if it is clean of real food and spills to switch it to pareve)

Mevater

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:21 pm
Im thinking of going w a double oven gas range, and making the larger oven Pareve, the smaller oven Flaishig, and the Micro-convection oven Milchig.

Any reason I shouldnt do it that way? Most of what I bake, even for Shabbos and Yom Tov, is Pareve (cakes, kugels).

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:25 pm
Mevater wrote:
Im thinking of going w a double oven gas range, and making the larger oven Pareve, the smaller oven Flaishig, and the Micro-convection oven Milchig.

Any reason I shouldnt do it that way? Most of what I bake, even for Shabbos and Yom Tov, is Pareve (cakes, kugels).
Sounds good. As long as you're happy with the oven sizes.

Mevater

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Sounds good. As long as you're happy with the oven sizes.

Happy? Id be very happy with a kitchen the size of a city block, and a staff to clean it. I love cooking and baking but hate cleaning.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 8:29 pm
Mevater wrote:
Happy? Id be very happy with a kitchen the size of a city block, and a staff to clean it. I love cooking and baking but hate cleaning.
LOL

nylon

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 11:28 pm
You need to look at the oven for the one you want to buy - the lower oven on mine is a full size and I can do a turkey just fine. Some brands split them differently so the top is a bit bigger and it takes away from the bottom.

Given the space constraints in my kitchen I'm happy with my double (a Maytag). The smaller oven still gives me more flexibility than a convection microwave. The top oven is too short to bake breads and most cakes evenly without overbrowning the top.

browser

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 10:28 am
I looked into double oven but decided I'd rather have a big oven when preparing for shabbos.
I use the toaster oven for dairy and use the big oven if it's clean. I think I could have gone ei ther way , but it was double the price and not necessary so for me.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 12:17 pm
I personally have felt another oven is a luxury, and I have rarely missed only having 1.
I only switch my oven from fleishig when I make homemade pizza and I don't use self-clean, I burn it out on 500 for an hour for that purpose. I use my toaster oven otherwise for 9x13 milchigs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen