Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Clean dishes?

musicmom

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 2:31 pm
Hi! I have 4 kids and work full time. My oldest is 4 and my youngest is 6 mo. Before work I have to feed and get my kids dressed and myself out the door. After work I feet the baby, make dinner and practice music with the kids. After dinner I read to the kids and put them to bed. My dishes are always left for me to do 1 day later or I am late to put the kids to bed... How do you guys handle this?
TIA!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 2:33 pm
I think most people either have someone else wash the dishes, use disposables, or have a dishwasher. I stay home, and I do the dishes after breakfast. how old are your kids? can you teach them to wash dishes?

loveandpeace

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 2:48 pm
Wow ur hands r full! Ask ur hub for help

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 2:57 pm
If you don't have a dishwasher... for the dinner dishes fill the sink basin (or a plastic tub) with very hot soapy water and put the dishes in the sink/tub right after dinner. Then you can do the dishes after the kids go to bed and the soaking will make them easy to clean.

For breakfast dishes, if you have to run off to work, consider disposables. Or if you could put in an 18" DW for milchiks that would save some time.

When are you doing the dishes now?

wife2

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 3:11 pm
I only have one sink so I am forced to do the dishes, unfortunately. I can't cook a fleishig supper if I have milchig dishes in my sink, and I can't drain milchig pot of noodles if I have fleishig dishes in my sink. But I use disposable for most meals, except breakfast or an easy-to-clean type of meal without messy. But if you don't do it every day, it really piles up. It is very hard to find the time but I don't have a dishwasher and dh works long hours so every night I try to force myself to just do them. I also find that it is good to get in the habit of doing it right away as that is the easiest time to do it - nothing is stuck on yet. so ill rinse a pot right after I'm done cooking

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 3:15 pm
One word: disposables. We dont use real, only silverware (and that I put into a container with soapy water so if I dont get to it right away, it is very easy to clean it the next day) during the week. Ever. Sanity comes first.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 3:28 pm
another vote for dishpan with soapy water - this way they are still easy to clean w/o stuck food when you get there ... also I'm a morning person ... I quite often save dishes for the morning

there are several problems with paper dishes ...

1) quite often you still have to clean up - including putting them in the garbage & still having the pots to wash ~ especially with little kids

2) they cost monies [of course so does a maid] - but it can save the cost of a maid or a messy house

3) bad for the environment

4) certainly doesn't have the same feel as real dishes ... coffee taste best in a real mug coffee shabbos looks more respectable with real dishes

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 4:14 pm
You can get a small portable dishwasher that fits on your countertop, or a slightly larger one that is freestanding, has wheels on the bottom, and a counter on top. Roll it in and hook it up to the sink as needed, and roll it away when you're done.

I'd go insane without a dishwasher!

little_mage

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 8:17 pm
I generally do all my dishes after the kids go to bed. I'm currently procrastinating on them, actually. I'll have stuff soaking in the sink during the day. We generally only do dairy, so even with one sink, that helps.

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 11:29 pm
Why can't you do them after the kids go to bed?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics