Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ANY IDEAS FOR A FANCY DESERT FOR SHABBOS?

imamom3

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 3:40 pm
any ideas appreciated..examples:
cooked pear
pinapple ring and pastry
mouse

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 3:44 pm
I would cross the mouse off your list ... it's edible but only to a cat ~ meow (^_^)~~~

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 4:12 pm
here's my chocolate mousse recipe

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ousse

imasoftov

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 4:27 pm
greenfire wrote:
I would cross the mouse off your list ... it's edible but only to a cat ~ meow (^_^)~~~

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 6:03 pm
would you eat that ? could you !

someone once sent us chocolate makos for pesach ... yeah looks fun but never got eaten - what a waste

devy88

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 6:33 pm
Option 1:

Pineapple pie (makes 2 pie crusts)

1 large can pineapple, mostly drained
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
Mix all and blend then add:
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla sugar
1 tso baking powder

Divide into 2 ready baking crusts and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes

Option 2:

Apple crisp:

6 green apples, peeled and sliced thinly.

In a bowl mix:
1 cup flour
1 stick margarine-softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar

Combine by hand until mix is crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of crumbs and set aside.

Mix remaining crumbs with sliced apples. Press into a 9 x 13 pan and add reserved cup of crumbs on top.

Bake at 400 for 1 hour, then an additional 45-60 min at 350

Optional: top with ice cream when ready to serve.

Personally I like the apple crisp better than the pineapple pie

mommyofboygirls

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 7:00 pm
I say make a pie. People love pies. They are always really impressed when I make a few pies, and no one ever believes me when I say pies are easier than cakes.

Do you need a good pareve pie crust recipe? They are super easy and you don't need a food processor or anything. Make six at once and freeze them..they get flakier after you freeze them. I have a great pecan pie recipe, one that uses brown rice syrup and not corn syrup. It can easily be made pareve.

Let me know if you want recipes.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 7:04 pm
Please share your pie recipe! Thanks

mommyofboygirls

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 7:30 pm
Flaky pie crust. Makes three crusts:

3 AP flour
1.5 c shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg
5 T cold water
1 T white vinegar

Use a pastry blender to cut the shortening into the flour and salt. Make a well, add the egg and mix. Add cold water and vinegar while blending. Knead it just until it comes together, and then cut into three crusts and freeze separately. If you don't want to freeze it and want to bake right away, at least freeze it for 20 mins so it gets cold and easy to roll out. Roll out, put in pan. Poke the crust all over with a fork so it doesn't rise. Par-bake for ten minutes at 350, then pour your filling in. Note: this is my grandmas recipes and she was good with pies....I sometimes need to turn this into two thicker pie crusts instead of 3 thin, especially if the crust isn't cold enough when rolling out, which is no big deal because the crust is super yummy.

Pecan pie filling (for one pie):

2 c unsalted pecans (toast them in a pan if you want, it makes them more flavorful)
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c packed brown sugar, light or dark will both work
2/3 c brown rice syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c margarine
2 T bourbon or cognac (it really adds a great scent and flavor, but the pie is good without it too)

Mix ingredients together and pour into par-baked pie crust. Bake 30 minutes at 350. Recipe comes The Southern Vegetarian by Burks and Lawrence.

If you want to do a tart instead (makes two tart crusts):

1.5 c AP flour
1/3 c shortening
1/2 tsp salt
About 1/3 c cold water

Blend flour, shortening, salt together with pastry blender. Add water 1 tsp at a time until the dough comes together. You can do this one in the food processor if you want and it will be fine. Freeze it like the pie crust if you want, and you par-bake it in the same way. This makes a great pot pie crust, if you are into chicken or veggie pot pies. The recipe is also from The Southern Vegetarian.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 7:45 pm
Thank you!

sky

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 10:01 pm
Apples with maple syrup and walnuts. Drizzle the cooked maple syrup and nuts also over some ice cream on the side and serve with the warm apples.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com.....auce/

Nomad

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 10:34 pm
Devy, does the pineapple pie use crushed pineapple or tidbits? Thanks!

cranberry

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 10:43 pm
mommyofboygirls wrote:
Flaky pie crust. Makes three crusts:

3 AP flour
1.5 c shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg
5 T cold water
1 T white vinegar

Use a pastry blender to cut the shortening into the flour and salt. Make a well, add the egg and mix. Add cold water and vinegar while blending. Knead it just until it comes together, and then cut into three crusts and freeze separately. If you don't want to freeze it and want to bake right away, at least freeze it for 20 mins so it gets cold and easy to roll out. Roll out, put in pan. Poke the crust all over with a fork so it doesn't rise. Par-bake for ten minutes at 350, then pour your filling in. Note: this is my grandmas recipes and she was good with pies....I sometimes need to turn this into two thicker pie crusts instead of 3 thin, especially if the crust isn't cold enough when rolling out, which is no big deal because the crust is super yummy.

Can I roll them out and then freeze them? That way if I'm really short on time, I have a ready-made pie crust in the freezer. Or is it better to freeze the dough as a ball, and then roll it out after it defrosts?

mommyofboygirls

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 11:35 am
cranberry wrote:
Can I roll them out and then freeze them? That way if I'm really short on time, I have a ready-made pie crust in the freezer. Or is it better to freeze the dough as a ball, and then roll it out after it defrosts?

I have never tried doing that but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe freeze it for 20 mins just so you can roll it easily, and then roll it out and put it in the pie pan. That is a really good idea...I might try it.

mommyofboygirls

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 11:38 am
cranberry wrote:

I have never tried doing that but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe freeze it for 20 mins just so you can roll it easily, and then roll it out and put it in the pie pan. That is a really good idea...I might try it.

devy88

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 4:36 pm
Nomad wrote:
Devy, does the pineapple pie use crushed pineapple or tidbits? Thanks!

Any can be used, but slices usually blend more smoothly
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen