Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Going Out Tomorrow in the Cold - NYC with Baby

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:00 am
I am going out tomorrow with my 9 month old baby. It is predicted to be of record-breaking cold temperatures, 17 degrees Farenheit with a real feel of 5. I planned on taking along a baby carrier anyway to facilitate my trip with public transportation, bus and subway.

What can I do to ensure that both I and my baby remain warm? I plan on nursing her on the train. Do I wear the baby carrier on my clothes, wear a maternity coat and close the coat on top of both of us? Do I wear the baby carrier on top of my (regular fitting) coat? Baby will be in a snowsuit. Do I rather leave baby in the stroller with a bunting and a plastic over the carriage? (Obviously not on the bus, but that's an hour ride, so I am not worried about that, more about the walking and waiting while transfering.) It may be more difficult to navigate the subway system but if baby stays warmer, I'll do it.

Any suggestions on how many layers baby should be dressed in? I was thinking of doing a turtleneck with a stretchie on top and pants and socks on top of that, then a snowsuit and either baby carrier or bunting. Is that overdressed? I'm not sure how warm the snowsuit really is with open feet and open hands.

Help me figure this out please!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:16 am
I would go for the maternity coat. Dress your baby in lots of layers, it's easier to remove rather than add layers. Warm tights (even for a boy) socks and Robeez. Make sure his head is covered and wear a scarf since your neck will be exposed because of the carrier.

nywife

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:11 am
Do you have snowsuit for the baby?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:13 am
nywife wrote:
Do you have snowsuit for the baby?

of course! mentioned it in my op

momX4

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:17 am
If you have a plastic for the stroller it woukd help against the wind

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:55 am
I have to say I'm jealous:( today it's zero degrees Fahrenheit without the windshield where I live and it's far from anything record breaking. It's not such a big deal... life goes on even in the cold. Dress warmly and you'll be fine.

monseychick

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:59 am
OP.... Is it possible to take a car service and cut back in other areas...

nywife

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
of course! mentioned it in my op

Sorry! Missed that Smile

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:16 pm
monseychick wrote:
OP.... Is it possible to take a car service and cut back in other areas...
way more expensive. im coming from upstate

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:48 pm
17 degrees with real feel of 5 is not dangerous or anything: it's just cold. You don't need to wear anything special: just put on your regular clothes with some boots, a warm coat, scarf, and gloves. Dress the baby in some layers and place a plastic cover over the stroller. How much time do you plan on spending outside?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:25 pm
Am I weird for thinking you are putting way!! To many layers on ur baby? I think it's dangerous to put on so many layers an undershirt and socks and stretchie a snowsuit and a covering for the car seat is enough I think . Don't let the baby overheat

youngishbear

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:35 pm
Please don't wear your baby under a coat. It sounds like s/he won't be able to breath.

Please check on your baby under those layers often and adjust accordingly.

I heard from family members that my cousin lost a baby to SIDS in a stroller wrapped in too many blankets where he got trapped.

Stay warm and be safe.

smss

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:
I am going out tomorrow with my 9 month old baby. It is predicted to be of record-breaking cold temperatures, 17 degrees Farenheit with a real feel of 5. I planned on taking along a baby carrier anyway to facilitate my trip with public transportation, bus and subway.

What can I do to ensure that both I and my baby remain warm? I plan on nursing her on the train. Do I wear the baby carrier on my clothes, wear a maternity coat and close the coat on top of both of us? Do I wear the baby carrier on top of my (regular fitting) coat? Baby will be in a snowsuit. Do I rather leave baby in the stroller with a bunting and a plastic over the carriage? (Obviously not on the bus, but that's an hour ride, so I am not worried about that, more about the walking and waiting while transfering.) It may be more difficult to navigate the subway system but if baby stays warmer, I'll do it.

Any suggestions on how many layers baby should be dressed in? I was thinking of doing a turtleneck with a stretchie on top and pants and socks on top of that, then a snowsuit and either baby carrier or bunting. Is that overdressed? I'm not sure how warm the snowsuit really is with open feet and open hands.

Help me figure this out please!

tough call. in the baby carrier, she gets your body heat too, but in the stroller her face will be shielded from the wind. I'm not sure which is better.

whatever you choose, make sure her mouth and nose are visible at all times, and check to make sure she's not overheating. bring lots of layers in case, but be prepared to take some of them off (especially once you're on the subway) if necessary.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:39 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Please don't wear your baby under a coat. It sounds like s/he won't be able to breath.

Please check on your baby under those layers often and adjust accordingly.

I heard from family members that my cousin lost a baby to SIDS in a stroller wrapped in too many blankets where he got trapped.

Stay warm and be safe.

obviously I would make sure baby's head is sticking out and button myself up until baby's head, leaving the two top buttons of my coat open.

I'm rethinking the whole baby carrier idea as being way too bulky for the winter. if it'd be a summer/spring outing, I could do it, but the idea of a baby carrier and a coat and a snowsuit and a scarf for me and a hat for baby...is making me feel stifled and restrained and clumsy - unlike the freedom the carrier usually affords me.

hope to use only handicap accessible stations.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 10:39 pm
I would use a stroller and a bundle me plus the plastic cover but honestly I would only take a baby out and about tomorrow if I really had to.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 11:37 pm
OP HeRE

I did not end up using the baby carrier. Kept baby in a bunting in the carriage the whole time while we were outdoors. In the morning was the worst. My baby was very warm and comfortable, but I thought I'm gonna look like Elsa from Frozen LOL . B"H I warmed up on the bus.

On the way back, in the afternoon it wasn't so bad. Cold but not bitter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics